Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 09:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It is indeed #3, while NJ is #11 on that same list.
And, according to the folks at Stanford Med and Johns Hopkins Med, Florida's vulnerability level is "very high", while NJ's vulnerability level is "medium".
most of the stuff that appears to be in that "vulnerability" calculation is not really important. the only thing that seems to matter and the largest difference (other than the fact that NJ has many more cases per capita), is the ICU capacity.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 04-14-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and almost 3x the population.
Bingo!!!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Once everybody is vaccinated they will start lifting restrictions for the mask, I would strongly assume so.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:21 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
most of the stuff that appears to be in that "vulnerability" calculation is not really important. the only thing, it largest difference other than the fact that NJ has many more cases per capita, is the ICU capacity.
Which was the whole point of the exercise.

By the way, there's a NJ COVID ICU bed open as of last night. My sister was moved out ICU and transported to another facility that specializes in longer-term recovery care.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
We have 3 times the population and with snowbirds and college kids there are around 30 million people here. Teachers are in school teaching without complaining daily. Restaurants open etc. I'm not saying who is right or wrong I'm just using fla. as a comparision as we are here now. One thing NJ,NY, Mich., Cal. govts. should be happy that Biden won or they would of been screwed financially.
I would say if anything, NJ is the perfect example of restrictions working, because when the tightest restrictions were in place, the numbers went down to like nothing.

Whether or not you think those large numbers of infections 'mean anything' is a different story, but...

Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

By the way, there's a NJ COVID ICU bed open as of last night. My sister was moved out ICU and transported to another facility that specializes in longer-term recovery care.
Sorry to hear that... I hope she recovers.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

well, the whole point was to keep people from dying. one of the goals for this purpose has been to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. but the most important statstic is deaths, i think. if i just look at the most recent 1 week average deaths for NJ on google, its 35, and the same for Florida is 49.

so florida has 40% more deaths than NJ.

however, NJ has 8.97 million population and florida 22.2 million (probably more now that so many people have moved there but lets use that).

so that is a 40% more deaths and 2.5 times the populaton. so that tells me that NJ has substantially higher deaths per capita.

Just to take a peek at totals to not be cherry picking, deaths: NJ: 24,945 vs Florida: 34,119

and i am glad to hear that your sister is improving!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
well, the whole point was to keep people from dying. one of the goals for this purpose has been to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. but the most important statstic is deaths, i think. if i just look at the most recent 1 week average deaths for NJ on google, its 35, and the same for Florida is 49.

so florida has 40% more deaths than NJ.

however, NJ has 8.97 million population and florida 22.2 million (probably more now that so many people have moved there but lets use that).

so that is a 40% more deaths and 2.5 times the populaton. so that tells me that NJ has substantially higher deaths per capita.

Just to take a peek at totals to not be cherry picking, deaths: NJ: 24,945 vs Florida: 34,119

and i am glad to hear that your sister is improving!
You're really just arguing for political reasons.

Even if the masks don't work, staying at home under quarantine does ... and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you don't leave your house, you don't spread viruses.

So, then we could argue ... do away with the masks and stay under quarantine (including getting pulled over if you drive at night), and that is a 100% effective way not to spread. How much do you want to bet me the numbers go down then?

But you don't really care about the masks, you just want to argue against any restrictions period... which is an entirely different topic.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:04 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
For those of us who are customer-facing and have to wear them 8+ hours per day, they’re incredibly uncomfortable. It gets sweaty under there and a little hard to breathe when speaking for a long time. It hides your smile which seems like not a big deal but in sales and customer service, it matters a lot. I also don’t see proof that they’re really working. I want to be respectful of other people’s (reasonable) fears but we can’t go on like this forever. We’ve got to go back to normal at some point and I think it needs to be sometime this year.
As I said most people. Most people do not wear them 8 hours a day

Old 04-14-2021, 01:14 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
As I said most people. Most people do not wear them 8 hours a day

Despite the work-from-home trend, most people still physically go to work and are around other people. And if that’s the case, you’re probably required to be masked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey