Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 9,975 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Been looking for a condo for over 5 months now. Finally we really really like one that's on 4th and Jefferson st. in Hoboken. 3 bedroom , 2 bath with a good sized balcony. Elevator building, deeded indoor parking space, fantastic layout, great finishes ... not much we want to change in the house.

Really the big question now is regarding the neighborhood. We've taken many walks around there (couple blocks each direction pretty much), spoke to neighbors and grocery store owners. No red flags as of yet. I was hoping to get some advice from people who live around the neighborhood or have lived there in the past.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:58 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
I can't imagine the neighborhood being anything but lovely. Hoboken is a great place to live. My MAJOR concern with buying property is flooding. Does your condo require flood insurance? How much? I know this address is further away from the river, but Hoboken can turn into a lagoon during bad storms.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:12 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
That is only about 3 blocks away from the projects so if the price seems too good to be true, that may be why. Not to say there's anything wrong with that area at all but I'm sure it turns some people off.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:24 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
I'd make sure about the flooding

Hoboken is too OP in my opinion especially a lot of the food places.

As long as still as fresh mutz, this make it appealing.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Yeah not a bad area. I've walked around there quite a few times and ride my bike that way when going between Jersey City and Weehawken.

As others said, check on the flood risk. That would be my biggest concern there.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:44 PM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Basically, unless you are on Hudson St or parts of Washington St. you will need flood insurance in Hoboken. It is likely included in the HOA already (it is included in mine) as in condos it's a pooled expense shared equally. The worst flooding occurs in the Monroe & Madison areas in the western part of town, basically from the Monroe Center and south. So Jefferson is close'ish to that, so may be a concern. Just don't live on the 1st floor.

Otherwise, the area is fine (although if I recall it's a hike from any grocery stores, which would probably annoy me). You'll have some noise spillover from the Stewed Cow, but you kinda have that all over town. The only part of Hoboken I would truly avoid when purchasing is in the 2nd & Jackson vicinity, which are surprisingly sketchy. And maybe even more surprising, increasingly, is the area around 3rd & Bloomfield (which otherwise is a great street) with the shelter. Sadly, there has been a noticeable increase in homelessness around town, and the epicenter seems to be there (duh) and Church Square Park.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:01 PM

84 posts, read 199,014 times
I lived a block from there on 5th and Jeff 20 years ago. It was fine then and is probably better now.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 9,975 times
Update : We put in an offer but another buyer bid wayyy higher than asking price. We didn't want to match it so the decision was kinda made for us. It was a beautiful house. The search continues!!

Thank you all for your replies, they were really helpful!!

Old 05-02-2021, 02:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
how is the hoboken housing market? i have a friend who owns an apartment there that he once lived in then rented when they moved out of hoboken. he is losing his tenants soon and will need to find a new renter. i suggested he look into selling since if the hoboken market is hot like it is here, it may make sense to just cash out and not have to worry about collecting monthly rent checks.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:25 PM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piespies View Post
I lived a block from there on 5th and Jeff 20 years ago. It was fine then and is probably better now.
i lived at Jefferson between 6th and 7th for seven years way back in the day (1985-1992). never any flooding, or problems with the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey