Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Airborneguy needs a T-shirt!
Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-17-2021, 03:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Isn't the speed limit on the Turnpike "You can stop accelerating when you reach the state line?"

Old 05-17-2021, 04:19 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
That's good! Because if you stick around NJ long enough you'll learn that the number one complaint about NY drivers is that they park their asses IN THE LEFT LANE--AKA THE PASSING LANE--and just tool along below the speed limit.

Seriously. Start taking note of people who do this on the highways. It's almost always NY plates. (My theory is that New Yorkers from the city aren't used to keeping to the right because of all the double parking.)

The traffic is crazy here because of the density. When I go north, it's so much nicer driving once I cross the state line out of NJ, and when I come back, it's immediately noticeably worse once I cross the state line back to Jersey, whether coming down from 287/17 out of NY State or if I drive in from PA on 80.
People from NYC are not used to driving on real Interstates. All the highways in NYC are max 50 MPH. I adjust my highway driving when driving on Interstates outside of NYC.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2021, 04:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I think the roadways are usually deadly on NJ because of the combination of opposite extremes. You have people from NY that are obnoxious especially Uber drivers that must drive on left lane at 60mph while you have BMWs jetting by at 80mph.

IF you look carefully at the accidents in NYC, it's almost always a rear end because somebody crossed into another impatient driver's way.

You'll see slow drivers slowly try to change lane to exit and having a tough time as so many cars are weaving by at insane speeds.

In NYC, it's worse because it's almost like seeing an ant army slowly walking by and the fighting ants running by.

I honestly do think that NYC drivers are the worst, most idiotic and entitled. NJ drivers are often too courteous followed by some obnoxious impatient ones both men and women.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That has been my experience, also. After having to deal with Mass-holes on the road for a week, I was very glad to get back to NJ.

Funny you mention this and I came across this self-proclaimed Mass-hole on my drive home today:

https://ibb.co/gz5dSfq

I didn’t have enough time to snap a pic of his “Vaginatarian” bumper sticker

Old 05-17-2021, 06:35 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Funny you mention this and I came across this self-proclaimed Mass-hole on my drive home today:

https://ibb.co/gz5dSfq

I didn’t have enough time to snap a pic of his “Vaginatarian” bumper sticker
*Finds out self proclaimed M*hole is from NH*

Pickup trup? Vaginatarian? Actually HAS a mhole sticker? Yeah screams NH

Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It's all about the density, well at least that's part of it. I always get a kick out of seeing young people age 16 with their driving instructor. Lots of these driving instructors don't even look like they can drive a car let alone teach somebody else how to do it. Also we have a lot of newcomers to this country who might not be familiar with how to drive in the United States. I know I would probably get hit for this, but I can usually tell if the car in front of me is going to be a good driver or a bad driver. For instance if the car has blue license plates you know you are in for a brake riding experience. I could go on but why bother.
I taught my son how to drive safely. My husband, former Green Beret, taught my son how to drive.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I never thought I would say this, but having moved to NJ only two months ago, even having spent my life back and for between NY and NJ frequently, I have been completely flabbergasted by how crazy the driving is here compared to NYC.

Driving anywhere remotely near the speed limit puts you in great peril here. I've never soent as much time in the right lane in my life!

You're supposed to drive right and pass on the left here in Jersey anyway.

You should see people driving on the pike down by me, especially the part from Williamstown to Mays Landing, people in the left lane do 75 to 80. A rare few go even faster. The people in the right lane are doing about 65. I think I'm one of the few with a radar detector. It's saved me a lot of tickets over the years. My dad taught me how to drive, he used to drive an ambulance. He had a lead foot too.

My daughter called me while driving it as few weeks ago, she was frantic cause my grandson's cell was missing. I found it on the back passenger seat. After grabbing his cell, I look in my rear view, cop pulling me over. He said, did you know you were doing 80? I said no, was I? Told him my daughter called, he said, oh so you were on the phone? I said on the blue tooth and I normally do not answer the phone while driving but she kept calling me. Told him I must not have been paying attention lol. He ran my license which is clean, gave me a $55 ticket for disregarding traffic signs. Had my license not been clean, that would have been a huge ticket. I'm trying to stop my lead foot on that part of the road. Don't want to get popped doing 80 again. I'm sure my radar detector went off that day but I didn't hear it because I was on the phone which I don't ever do. Lesson learned. It's so easy to speed and not realize it because there's barely any lights or traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It's all about the density, well at least that's part of it. I always get a kick out of seeing young people age 16 with their driving instructor. Lots of these driving instructors don't even look like they can drive a car let alone teach somebody else how to do it. Also we have a lot of newcomers to this country who might not be familiar with how to drive in the United States. I know I would probably get hit for this, but I can usually tell if the car in front of me is going to be a good driver or a bad driver. For instance if the car has blue license plates you know you are in for a brake riding experience. I could go on but why bother.

I've been behind a few this past year. I can't believe how bad those drivers were, it seems "the teacher" isn't teaching them to actually go the speed limit which drives me nuts to go 10 under. Then the constant hitting the brakes.

When I get to a passing zone I'm not the only one passing them. If their window was open I would have told them they're not going the speed limit which can be unsafe.

Quote:
That's good! Because if you stick around NJ long enough you'll learn that the number one complaint about NY drivers is that they park their asses IN THE LEFT LANE--AKA THE PASSING LANE--and just tool along below the speed limit.

Seriously. Start taking note of people who do this on the highways. It's almost always NY plates. (My theory is that New Yorkers from the city aren't used to keeping to the right because of all the double parking.)

The traffic is crazy here because of the density. When I go north, it's so much nicer driving once I cross the state line out of NJ, and when I come back, it's immediately noticeably worse once I cross the state line back to Jersey, whether coming down from 287/17 out of NY State or if I drive in from PA on 80.

We don't have many NY plates down by me, it's PA and Delaware.

The law is drive right, pass on the left. My daughter said cops do ticket here although I've never gotten a ticket for driving in the left on the pike. I do for the most part, drive in the right when no one is near me. Going down to Mays Landing on the pike, I do make sure to drive in the right unless I'm passing people. Driving in the right lane, the cars in front of me are my shield from the cops. I won't be the one being pulled over if I'm not the 1st car doing 65.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:36 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People from NYC are not used to driving on real Interstates. All the highways in NYC are max 50 MPH. I adjust my highway driving when driving on Interstates outside of NYC.
I agree. It's just that there are signs every few miles that say "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" and I'm unclear as to why they don't see them.

Of course, the reality is that at rush hour, ALL the lanes on highways like the GSP are full because there are just more cars than there is road.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
I agree. It's just that there are signs every few miles that say "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" and I'm unclear as to why they don't see them.

Of course, the reality is that at rush hour, ALL the lanes on highways like the GSP are full because there are just more cars than there is road.
I think that's true everywhere. Do we have HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes during rush hour? If not, we should. They help. And yes, you need HEFTY fines for people who ignore them until they get the message .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey