Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 10:04 AM

10,462 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

Everyones posts on here have been dead on. Ive driven through most of the country and NJ has the best drivers. Anytime there is traffic congestion its usually a New York plate hogging a left lane. If youre going 95mph and theres traffic behind you, youre going to slow. Left lane is a passing lane only, so if youre not passing move over.

My largest pet peeves are drivers who do not use the shoulder. If youre making a right turn move over to the shoulder so cars behind can pass. If the car in front of you is making a left turn, use the shoulder to pass. I get stuck behind so many idiots who stop when the car in front of them is making a left turn which causes so much unnecessary traffic.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:10 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Everyones posts on here have been dead on. Ive driven through most of the country and NJ has the best drivers. Anytime there is traffic congestion its usually a New York plate hogging a left lane. If youre going 95mph and theres traffic behind you, youre going to slow. Left lane is a passing lane only, so if youre not passing move over.

My largest pet peeves are drivers who do not use the shoulder. If youre making a right turn move over to the shoulder so cars behind can pass. If the car in front of you is making a left turn, use the shoulder to pass. I get stuck behind so many idiots who stop when the car in front of them is making a left turn which causes so much unnecessary traffic.
When you say take a right or left.. are you suggesting most streets actually have breakdown lanes ? lol
Most roads I drive on have like a two foot clearance until grass of breakdown lane. When someone makes a left, you can't get by them.. because what breakdown lane?

This is good advice for newer areas or the Southeast. But most of the Northeast/Urban Areas? I cant remember the last time I have seen a full functioning breakdown lane haha

also hate to kill your hype but NJ drivers are either to oslow, or too fast. Best drivers ive seen were in CA. Talk about fast and efficient? lol

Old 05-18-2021, 11:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
so whenever i honk at anyone, my horn plays the "la cuca racha" music. i get a kick out of it but it is also hard to be taken seriously when that music is playing. im good with it though, it makes me laugh every time.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:22 PM

10,462 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When you say take a right or left.. are you suggesting most streets actually have breakdown lanes ? lol
Most roads I drive on have like a two foot clearance until grass of breakdown lane. When someone makes a left, you can't get by them.. because what breakdown lane?

This is good advice for newer areas or the Southeast. But most of the Northeast/Urban Areas? I cant remember the last time I have seen a full functioning breakdown lane haha

also hate to kill your hype but NJ drivers are either to oslow, or too fast. Best drivers ive seen were in CA. Talk about fast and efficient? lol
Ive been driving in NJ for 20 years and most roads have a shoulder large enough to pass on and thats what they are designed for. NJ law says you can use the shoulder to pass on single lane roads. 2+ lane roads have a 'breakdown' lane which shouldnt be used.

Ive also driven through California and people have zero need to get anywhere. The 405 has boogerheads driving the speed limit in everylane with cars doing 130mph inbetween. In NJ people driving aggressive and fast but it takes a few out of sync driver to ruin it for everyone.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 05-18-2021 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-19-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Ive been driving in NJ for 20 years and most roads have a shoulder large enough to pass on and thats what they are designed for. NJ law says you can use the shoulder to pass on single lane roads. 2+ lane roads have a 'breakdown' lane which shouldnt be used.

Ive also driven through California and people have zero need to get anywhere. The 405 has boogerheads driving the speed limit in every lane with cars doing 130mph inbetween. In NJ people driving aggressive and fast but it takes a few out of sync driver to ruin it for everyone.
Yeah nowhere near me has a Breakdown Lane. They are more common than in MA though.. probably why MA is so aggressive? idk. But one thing I do like about NC, is they have breakdown lanes and/or wide lanes everywhere.

Also, Breakdown Lane is interchangeable with Shoulder in New England. Its just our terminology of that part of the highway/road. I didn't even know what shoulder meant until like 2015 lol

But im sure this is illegal.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 05-19-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-19-2021, 09:04 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Use the right shoulder to pass someone on a single lane road????? I got a $100 ticket doing that once. We were stopped in traffic and I was making a right hand turn at the next corner and passed about 5 cars.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Use the right shoulder to pass someone on a single lane road????? I got a $100 ticket doing that once. We were stopped in traffic and I was making a right hand turn at the next corner and passed about 5 cars.
Where was this?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Where was this?
It was in a residential neighborhood, but I wouldn't do that on 33, that's for sure.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:15 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:

Ive also driven through California and people have zero need to get anywhere. The 405 has boogerheads driving the speed limit in everylane with cars doing 130mph inbetween. In NJ people driving aggressive and fast but it takes a few out of sync driver to ruin it for everyone.
Shoulder lane move is dangerous and that's how people get killed because some guy parked there changing tires or stranded there. And a wiseguy tries the move to pass a car and crashes into it. I always try to park my car on the right side shoulder and not the left even for a flat tire rather not risk.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
NJ law says you can pass in the shoulder? i wasnt aware of that and it sounds crazy to me. like vision said, people park there when having issues, too dangerous to pass and slam into someone. ive passed plenty of people on single lane roads, you go into the opposing traffic lane. if you dont think you can do that safely, then dont pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey