Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 09:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew one person who did. I mean, she even thought it was illegal for you to pass on the right if you were in the right lane on a three-lane highway and you were passing a car in the middle lane. She is the only person I ever met who thought that way, though.
Related to this situation, many years ago I was friendly with a woman from NYC who drove to visit me in NJ. We then journeyed to the Jersey Shore--in her ancient Buick. I had never before been a passenger in her car, and that time was my last because immediately upon merging onto the Parkway, she moved over to the left lane where she drove 10-15 mph below the prevailing speed.

As cars zoomed up in back of us, blasted their horns, and then veered past us on the right, I asked... "June why are you in the left lane?". Her response was, "Oh, I just feel so much safer over here".

And, of course, she complained that people were passing her on the right.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Related to this situation, many years ago I was friendly with a woman from NYC who drove to visit me in NJ. We then journeyed to the Jersey Shore--in her ancient Buick. I had never before been a passenger in her car, and that time was my last because immediately upon merging onto the Parkway, she moved over to the left lane where she drove 10-15 mph below the prevailing speed.

As cars zoomed up in back of us, blasted their horns, and then veered past us on the right, I asked... "June why are you in the left lane?". Her response was, "Oh, I just feel so much safer over here".

And, of course, she complained that people were passing her on the right.
look at retriever having a booty call named June who picked him up in her old buick!!!!!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That has been my experience, also. After having to deal with Mass-holes on the road for a week, I was very glad to get back to NJ.
This !

If I can take it a little further . NJ drivers are some of the very best. Very few place's in the Country do drivers know how to handle a "circle', "round a bout" or what ever it's called in the state you're from. NJ has what is know as the "jug handle" turning system and it's a great idea. The amount of drivers in other states that make right turns form the left lane is crazy! Yes , in NJ the left lane is the passing lane not the Sunday drive lane!

P.S

.....and blinkers were invented for a reason yet most drivers from other States refuse to use them.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:43 AM

30 posts, read 23,156 times
My experience comes from driving on GSP, 280, 80, Rt 9 over the last 25 years.

The biggest annoyance I experience is the person that will insert his car into the smallest space in a line of cars. It usually goes like this. A line of cars moving along on the left lane and the driver on the right, instead of waiting for a decent opening, will signal and move immediately. This will in turn cause me to tap my brakes and creates a slow down on the whole lane.
My feeling is yes, thank you for signaling, but it doesn’t immediately open up a huge space for you to move into.

BTW, I’ve been reading this section for a while and learning about NJ for a while now- for a potential move to NJ in the near future. I think some of you offer a lot of great advice on this board.

Ed

Old 05-20-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300Es View Post
A line of cars moving along on the left lane and the driver on the right, instead of waiting for a decent opening, will signal and move immediately.
what kind of an idiot signals to change lanes on a highway, especially in a situation like above. this person was probably on drugs.

some people will get offended if you get in front of them no matter what.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what kind of an idiot signals to change lanes on a highway.

Why am I not surprised this came from you?!!!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:51 AM

Use to be a great local band down the Shore called the "courteous drivers" ..they were pretty good!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Use to be a great local band down the Shore called the "courteous drivers" ..they were pretty good!
yeah, they sound awesome!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, they sound awesome!
lucy you need to stop.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:37 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I see that pretty frequently, and it's usually because the idiot in the center lane is going too slow. EVERYONE is going around them. I've also been in the center lane and realized I was that idiot a couple of times and sped up.
I have felt for several years now that the center lane has become the new slow lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey