Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:43 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFreak View Post
Isn't there a way to modify a post? After talking with my hub, he said to call Direct TV/Verizon to see what their packages are. So, right now, I am not sure what we are doing.lol
word of advice...do not get Direct TV through Verizon! Go direct as Verizon has a tendency to pay Direct late and they will cut you off! My neighbor had a huge issue with Verizon over this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM

161 posts, read 767,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
word of advice...do not get Direct TV through Verizon! Go direct as Verizon has a tendency to pay Direct late and they will cut you off! My neighbor had a huge issue with Verizon over this!

That's weird. I get dtv through verizon and I haven't had any issues. Plus I save like 30 bucks a month.

My bill is high but itscause I buy all the premium channels and the football and baseball packages with superfan

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Been waiting all day to give you my son's response. I tried emailing you via your member page but you don't accept emails from here

The home will need some additional cabling. Depending on the type of service, two or four lines may need to be run down from the satellite dish (depending on the dish itself). Basic service (standard definition) requires two, hi-definition requires four. These lines run to a common meeting place, which is where the cabling is grounded to NEC, state, and local codes. From here, existing cabling can be used as long as it is a straight run to each individual room. Directv cannot pass through cable splitters properly, so additional lines may need to be run through the house to ensure the installation is trouble free. But as long as the existing cabling is RG-6, there shouldn't be a problem. If any new rooms need cabling run to them, it shouldn't be a problem because the company is not supposed to charge you for new outlets run. There may be a custom labor charge if you want cables fished inside of the wall, though. The best way to make sure your installation is done properly and in a satisfactory way is to ask the technician to walk you through the site survey, show you where the dish will be mounted, show you where the grounding will be (grounding is important because it pulls static electricity out of the dish. An object with a neutral charge is not likely to be struck by lightning). And when you make the order, specify that you only want a senior or a lead technician at your home because they will be more experienced to make the job look better.
what is difference between dish and direct,My tv's 5 run off RG6 and splitter's thruout home and work fine,even HD channel's???I have dish.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:43 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,626,311 times
See it just seems as if problems arise in all of these. I was wanting the 3 for, all tied up in one bill. My sister has direct tv through verizon and hasn't really had a lot of problems. Then another has the cable and hasn't complained. So I just don't know. I will call Verizon and see what their prices are and then will make a decision by weeks end (I hope).

Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
I've had DirecTV through Verizon's Freedom package for 4 or 5 years running and haven't had a problem yet.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Default Splitting dtv singal

you can split the direct tv singal using a multiplexer to 8-16 tv's via a single coax

Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker65 View Post
you can split the direct tv singal using a multiplexer to 8-16 tv's via a single coax
Sharing a single channel, not multiple individually tuned channels. Unless you get extra receivers, which defeats the point.

Also, going 8-16 TV's, you'd likely need an amplifier or the db drop will be... unpleasant. Atleast to me, but I'm not the average viewer, ymmv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey