Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 07:30 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If that was actually the case, then why have anti-LGBTQ crimes increased in NJ over the past few years?
If that was the case, then why is NJ ranked as the #11 state in the volume of this type of crime?

https://www.insidernj.com/press-rele...argeted-group/

Alot of gay people move to gentrified neighborhoods and I bet of you did a map overlay of where these crimes were committed there would be a correlation to that.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
More gay people in NJ = More hate crimes against them

The rates are weighted per 100,000 residents. But it’s not per 100,000 gay residents...just all residents. A state like NJ, as opposed to MS, will have more of those 100,000 residents being gay. So these stats are misleading.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:04 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Collingswood and Haddon township are very gay-friendly. Walk around the neighborhoods in both towns and you'll see rainbow flags and Haddon township even has its own pride parade.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:26 AM

306 posts, read 203,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
People really just want to be left alone. As long as your not waving a rainbow flag and drawing attention to yourself nobody is going to care. This goes for everywhere in the country. Black people live in Willingboro which is a good area in the suburbs.

Ha, the irony of a Trump supporter saying 'as long you're not waving a flag and drawing attention to yourself'.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I live in Gloucester County and it’s very diverse. I’m in Williamstown. My LGTB niece lives in Sicklerville with her partner and kids and teaches in a local school district, they haven’t had any issues. If you are single though I might look more toward an area like Collingswood closer to Philly, or the shore area. If you stay away from the more rural redneckish areas you should be able to feel accepted. Cape May has a big art scene and a decent LGBT community.
is it preferred by a gay/lesbian/etc. person that you refer to them as LGBT? i understand that makes sense when you are grouping together everyone under that unbrella (if its ok to group people under an umbrella) but when discussing a specific person who you know their specific "category" i dont understad why one wouldnt use the specific word that applies to that person. someone said it the other day and i didnt understand why.

me, i will call anyone whatever they want to be called.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:37 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
is it preferred by a gay/lesbian/etc. person that you refer to them as LGBT? i understand that makes sense when you are grouping together everyone under that unbrella (if its ok to group people under an umbrella) but when discussing a specific person who you know their specific "category" i dont understad why one wouldnt use the specific word that applies to that person. someone said it the other day and i didnt understand why.

me, i will call anyone whatever they want to be called.
I don’t know, I didn’t give it any thought. Was just using the term OP used. You’re right though it was silly in hindsight.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know, I didn’t give it any thought. Was just using the term OP used. You’re right though it was silly in hindsight.
i didnt think it was silly, i have heard this done before and was hoping you could give me more insight into whether or not this is how someone in that group would prefer to be referred to. i think when i heard it, the person referred to themselves as an LGBT person. i didnt understand why he didnt just say that he was gay.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:07 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i didnt think it was silly, i have heard this done before and was hoping you could give me more insight into whether or not this is how someone in that group would prefer to be referred to. i think when i heard it, the person referred to themselves as an LGBT person. i didnt understand why he didnt just say that he was gay.
I don’t know like I said I didn’t give it any thought. If I was talking about my niece in person though I would have said gay or lesbian.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygets83 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to move out of NYC and go to South Jersey. I was curious if South Jersey has any racial or LGBT issues? Also what parts of South Jersey would be safe to live as an LGBT/black male?

You say "South Jersey" but my question to you is why not Asbury Park down the shore in Central New Jersey?

Old 05-25-2021, 02:38 PM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
People really just want to be left alone. As long as your not waving a rainbow flag and drawing attention to yourself nobody is going to care. This goes for everywhere in the country. Black people live in Willingboro which is a good area in the suburbs.
Wish I saw more rainbow flags than Trump flags in my neighborhood (in 2021!), to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey