Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 AM

306 posts, read 201,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachretiree View Post
Yes, to answer the question, we pay the highest property taxes in the nation snd we have the top rated public schools. But the tax situation is getting intolerable to me because we in the past 5 years we went from among the bottom 5 to the top 5 in state gasoline taxes, over $1 billion goes to support a statewide bus and train system that the majority of residents do not ride and free college tuition for lower-income students has been expanding.
Lol, of all the things that tax dollars are wasted on, you're most upset about public transport and helping poor people get an education to help them not be poor. Don't think I'll ever understand that kind of mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 AM

19,073 posts, read 25,238,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
Lol, of all the things that tax dollars are wasted on, you're most upset about public transport and helping poor people get an education to help them not be poor. Don't think I'll ever understand that kind of mindset.
+1

Unfortunately the statement that you reacted to represents only half of that typical mindset.
The other half is usually expressed as something along the lines of...
Why don't they work harder, and educate themselves, so that they can rise out of poverty?

Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,356,995 times
The cost of living is high, people have to live here to work in local government and they aren't going to work for min wage as if it was a midwest town. I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. But at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. If you don't think so, move to one of those Southern red states and see how much you like it, and see how welcomed you are there. People think Southern towns are friendly, because they see this on TV and movies, but they are only friendly to people who are FROM there.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:50 AM

50,512 posts, read 36,184,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
The cost of living is high, people have to live here to work in local government and they aren't going to work for min wage as if it was a midwest town. I don't understand why this is so difficult to understand. But at the end of the day, you get what you pay for. If you don't think so, move to one of those Southern red states and see how much you like it, and see how welcomed you are there. People think Southern towns are friendly, because they see this on TV and movies, but they are only friendly to people who are FROM there.
I think this is true to some extent. There's a thread about an incident in Florida, where people in southern states railed against all the "NY/NJ types" that are moving there, and some saying they moved themselves because of that. It's probably similar to moving to a foreign country, you need to find a place with other "ex-pats" to feel welcome. Because as soon as you say you're from NJ, a whole litany of negative stereotypes are going to flash in front of their eyes.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,604,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think this is true to some extent. There's a thread about an incident in Florida, where people in southern states railed against all the "NY/NJ types" that are moving there, and some saying they moved themselves because of that. It's probably similar to moving to a foreign country, you need to find a place with other "ex-pats" to feel welcome. Because as soon as you say you're from NJ, a whole litany of negative stereotypes are going to flash in front of their eyes.
Heck, we're south of Toms River and a solid red town. The people are bitching about the New Yorkers coming in and buying homes.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 PM

322 posts, read 1,193,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Baloney. I moved to South Carolina after 50+ years in NJ. Everyone’s been friendly and welcoming here. Best decision I ever made. You sound like someone who’s never traveled anywhere outside of NJ to make such an ignorant statement.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:56 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Baloney. I moved to South Carolina after 50+ years in NJ. Everyone’s been friendly and welcoming here. Best decision I ever made. You sound like someone who’s never traveled anywhere outside of NJ to make such an ignorant statement.
This is my experience as well, after living all over the country. Generally the ones that are treated poorly are the ones aggressively pushing their views after fleeing wherever they came from...

Old 07-29-2021, 06:04 AM

18,968 posts, read 13,856,403 times
I have to agree as well. I lived all over during my Army years. The NY/NJ people who were treated like crap were the ones who constantly told everyone how much better NY/NJ is, in every way, to the rest of the country. I made friends and sought out different experiences i couldn't get back home. I had no problems.

And yes NY and NJ are the same thing to people outside of our area.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-29-2021, 06:14 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,817,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Heck, we're south of Toms River and a solid red town. The people are bitching about the New Yorkers coming in and buying homes.
Not sure a "solid red town"... A cop once explained that to me, they like to take a Republican hard line stance on crime with attitude and "I'm tough" but then they do so in a Democratic environment.. very much like South of Boston. "Conservative" in a deep Blue state.

They can effectively be either one.. Republican, where you better not be going 5 over a speed limit on a clear stretch of road with nobody on it as they HIDE. HIDE. HIDE in the bushes.. and come get you.. or Democrats, when they are grandstanding about being "hard on crime and violators" (let thousands go without court dates, don't prosecute, burn down cities, billions, MORE) ... They have their choice of either "persona." You just can't win unless you have a nice conversation with them and pass their "approval" test. .........

For all the revenue generation. That's what many towns are about. It just says "Public safety" on the building. I mean sure they do other things sometimes and sometimes they get called, but.

Which town ?

Old 07-29-2021, 06:18 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,817,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have to agree as well. I lived all over during my Army years. The NY/NJ people who were treated like crap were the ones who constantly told everyone how much better NY/NJ is, in every way, to the rest of the country. I made friends and sought out different experiences i couldn't get back home. I had no problems.

And yes NY and NJ are the same thing to people outside of our area.
Absolutely true.

I once worked outside Atlanta, Georgia (Druid Hills.) Not too bad but really slow work. I had put New Jersey on all my documents, since I have lived here for some time and was technically born here. My boss always referred to me being from "New York."

I think New York/New York City is probably the most famous American city in the world. There are other cities, yes, but.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey