Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks, I'll have to keep it in mind for when we sell. I've never been there. My hub is from Freehold, I see it's close to that.
Once you cross from Freehold south to Howell, house prices drop about $100K. It was important for us to have natural gas, city water and sewer. Developments usually have them. But separate houses often have septic, well water, propane or fuel oil. Being close to Rte. 9 is a plus. There's a bunch of strip malls within a 10 minute ride from Lowes to Home Depot with all the amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 10:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Once you cross from Freehold south to Howell, house prices drop about $100K. It was important for us to have natural gas, city water and sewer. Developments usually have them. But separate houses often have septic, well water, propane or fuel oil. Being close to Rte. 9 is a plus. There's a bunch of strip malls within a 10 minute ride from Lowes to Home Depot with all the amenities.

Thanks Bob. We had a well at the last house, I wouldn't mind having another. I'm not sure about septic. Been over 20 years since I had one.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:33 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NJ is a one party state and as such enjoys the tax burden voters place on the others who find the tax rate intolerable, based on incompetence and fraud, legal and illegal.

That someone comes here from NYC and finds NJ's taxrate tolerable is no reason to accept the tax rate in NJ given the fraud, incompetence found primarily at the municipal level...not to exclude the state bureaucracy's swamp.

'Those living in New Jersey will pay on average a grand total of $931,698, well above the $827,185 for Massachusetts'

NJ must be known as the country's brain trust given the amount of money squandered on EDU.

But the state's (NJ) steep education costs are another big factor. “The cost to educate a pupil in New Jersey is one of the highest in the country,”

So, NO, the perennial losing half of NJ's electorate does not tolerate our 7th place, 2021, of highest taxed states?

To keep the rest of us quiet they have provided 'elections' in this one party state as an outlet for our frustration.

Outsider audit of municipalities would be the best place to start to eliminate the fraud and incompetence found to be so prevalent. A microscopic look there, would reveal the threads leading to source of county and state financial pathologies.
How low did property taxes get reduced under 8 years of Christie? Not trying to be facetious, but I wasn’t a homeowner then so I don’t know. But so many here say taxes are high because we vote in democrats so I am genuinely curious if he lowered them, and by how much?

Old 06-06-2021, 03:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How low did property taxes get reduced under 8 years of Christie? Not trying to be facetious, but I wasn’t a homeowner then so I don’t know. But so many here say taxes are high because we vote in democrats so I am genuinely curious if he lowered them, and by how much?
I was no fan of Christie but the state doesn't set property taxes. "Property taxes are generally raised by three different government agencies: your town government, your county government and your public school system." Many local governments are Republican as often as Democrat. It doesn't seem to be a partisan issue. As retirees over 65 my wife and I pay no NJ state income tax now that SS and pensions are excluded, if our total joint income is less than $100K.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:35 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Schools do not factor into our decision to stay in NJ.

-- High-paying metro areas. I work in the Philly area.

-- Excellent healthcare available at multiple academic hospitals. For example, if one of us got cancer or had a complicated heart problem, we could go across the river to Penn, Jefferson, etc. Healthcare has featured more prominently in our decision-making as we get older.

-- Municipal services are reliable. Yes, someone picks up the garbage on the schedule the town says it will be picked up!

-- Love the Pine Barrens and the Shore.

-- No one gives us a hard time when we go into a store with masks on. (Yes, vaccinated and yes, still being cautious.) People keep to themselves, and that's fine with us.

I could go on. Bottom line is right now, NJ has what we need. Our property taxes are only a little over $5K a year and we have a very large lot.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:46 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Schools do not factor into our decision to stay in NJ.

-- High-paying metro areas. I work in the Philly area.

-- Excellent healthcare available at multiple academic hospitals. For example, if one of us got cancer or had a complicated heart problem, we could go across the river to Penn, Jefferson, etc. Healthcare has featured more prominently in our decision-making as we get older.

-- Municipal services are reliable. Yes, someone picks up the garbage on the schedule the town says it will be picked up!

-- Love the Pine Barrens and the Shore.

-- No one gives us a hard time when we go into a store with masks on. (Yes, vaccinated and yes, still being cautious.) People keep to themselves, and that's fine with us.

I could go on. Bottom line is right now, NJ has what we need. Our property taxes are only a little over $5K a year and we have a very large lot.

We used to be in Browns Mills which had cheap taxes. We were an hour from Philly depending on what time we were driving because of traffic on the roads driving to Philly.

We're down by Turnersville now, Philly is much closer, so when my hub had tonsil cancer in 2009, going to Jefferson was painless at about a 30 minute drive. Being treated there made a huge difference in his outcome so if you ever deal with cancer, their ENT team and radiation team were awesome. The general oncology team was good too but we didn't deal with them like we did the ENT. They also got him in really quick.

My hub has not had a recurrence, he's also had minimum long term side effects. I was big on going to a cancer forum, some people had a recurrence, others never were able to swallow again. Penn's cancer center is also highly rated. I believe Jefferson was a little closer for us. One of the main things was having all of the scans and testing done there, there is barely a wait for results so if you had a PET full body scan, the doctor was calling by the time you were driving home. If you go to S. Jersey radiology, it takes a week for results. Biopsy results are also done in house, so you know quickly the type of cancer.

I like this area a lot better then Browns Mills because I had to drive close to 30 minutes just to go to most stores. This area has a lot of shopping that is within a few miles. I have 2 Walmarts within 5 miles, 3 Shop Rite's, 2 Acme's, 2 Lowes, also within 5 miles and Depot is right up the street. I see a University medical team which isn't far from my house.

I had not taken any of it into account when we moved here. I had looked at about 100 houses for sale in 5 counties, the one we bought was the only house I liked. I'm glad it worked out so well with being convenient.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:18 AM

306 posts, read 203,337 times
Prefer to be close to NYC. There aren't many places I could imagine living. We actually left NYC for 5 years for a job in Denver, and ended up moving back as it wasn't enough of a city for us. I like cities, and NYC is obviously in the top 3-4 in the world.

All the low tax states are pretty grim. I couldn't imagine living in Florida or some southern hellhole.

The schools are a valid reason, but obviously it does mean that we might have some incentive to leave one day. Our property taxes are $2k per month, which is basically like a perpetual mortgage. Our kids are 18 months old, so we don't need to worry about that for a long time.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baycurious123 View Post
All the low tax states are pretty grim. I couldn't imagine living in Florida or some southern hellhole.
My oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, is fairly conservative and has no children to benefit from NJ schools, but he even says, "I'd would subsist on cat food in NJ, rather than dining on steak in Florida".

Old 06-07-2021, 12:18 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, is fairly conservative and has no children to benefit from NJ schools, but he even says, "I'd would subsist on cat food in NJ, rather than dining on steak in Florida".

your friend is right. FL was not ideal.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retriever View Post
my oldest friend, from my undergraduate days, is fairly conservative and has no children to benefit from nj schools, but he even says, "i'd would subsist on cat food in nj, rather than dining on steak in florida".

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey