Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:57 PM

195 posts, read 135,689 times

Advertisements

Sometimes i think residents make up reasons to justify paying high taxes as a coping mechanism to a hopeless situation. Like “it not that bad because x y z” and therefore it becomes more tolerable to the brain. Like a form
Helsinki/Stockholm syndrome with NJ state and local governments.

I can come up with several non school reasons ppl may tolerate high property taxes
-lack of resistance to government authority, growth and influence
-keeping certain ppl out of certain towns
-mortgages require a tax escrow account to be executed
-genuine desire to live a suburban lifestyle with proximity to nyc(even tho upstate, LI and CT provide that same option)
-lower income and sales tax than nyc
-more diverse home price points than nyc

Are schools really the reason?

Last edited by Cptjcz; 06-03-2021 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 05:42 AM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Just the fact that ALL of my garbage is picked up on time as promised is enough for me. My NYC taxes weren't much different than they are here in central Jersey yet I saw close to nothing in return for my indentureship there.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-04-2021, 06:07 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
Where was is chiseled in stone that this was the one and only reason?

Old 06-04-2021, 06:14 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,145 times
Tax burden is relatively similar across NYC suburbs. Also, it costs money to deliver services in a high cost of living area.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:25 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Taxes are high even where the schools aren’t so good, so it must be more than that

Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
Sometimes i think residents make up reasons to justify paying high taxes as a coping mechanism to a hopeless situation. Like “it not that bad because x y z” and therefore it becomes more tolerable to the brain. Like a form
Helsinki/Stockholm syndrome with NJ state and local governments.

I can come up with several non school reasons ppl may tolerate high property taxes
-lack of resistance to government authority, growth and influence
-keeping certain ppl out of certain towns
-mortgages require a tax escrow account to be executed
-genuine desire to live a suburban lifestyle with proximity to nyc(even tho upstate, LI and CT provide that same option)
-lower income and sales tax than nyc
-more diverse home price points than nyc

None of the above.

We tolerate it bc we work in NYC (have a family) and cannot live in the city.
We work in NYC bc it pays more than anywhere else for what we do. The $ tradeoff is worth it.
The end.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:17 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Just the fact that ALL of my garbage is picked up on time as promised is enough for me. My NYC taxes weren't much different than they are here in central Jersey yet I saw close to nothing in return for my indentureship there.
agree on this and I think most people don't do the math to understand it; a homeowner in NYC is not paying substantially less in taxes to central NJ (if you have an abated condo in Manhattan obv thats different and if you have a place in maplewood at 23K a year obv different too). Factor in the NYC income taxes & higher NY state tax and its not very different, i'm prob a bit ahead.

Then you add in the fact I don't have to pay for private schools, my town services are great (I don't knock NYPD b/c they have a tough job, but if I called cops here b/c kids were smoking pot and drinking in the street cops would show up, I get in NYC why they dont but the difference still affects me), I have an actual yard, beaches where I can actually go in the water, multiple beautiful, clean parks that can actually be used by families, lower utilities, great activities for kids, and WAY lower car insurance and it's much cheaper for me than when I loved in NYC.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Taxes are high even where the schools aren’t so good, so it must be more than that
yeah, its not the schools. its just because it is what it is.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
agree on this and I think most people don't do the math to understand it; a homeowner in NYC is not paying substantially less in taxes to central NJ (if you have an abated condo in Manhattan obv thats different and if you have a place in maplewood at 23K a year obv different too). Factor in the NYC income taxes & higher NY state tax and its not very different, i'm prob a bit ahead.

Then you add in the fact I don't have to pay for private schools, my town services are great (I don't knock NYPD b/c they have a tough job, but if I called cops here b/c kids were smoking pot and drinking in the street cops would show up, I get in NYC why they dont but the difference still affects me), I have an actual yard, beaches where I can actually go in the water, multiple beautiful, clean parks that can actually be used by families, lower utilities, great activities for kids, and WAY lower car insurance and it's much cheaper for me than when I loved in NYC.
You have to have a car for each family member over 17. Drive the younger ones around constantly. Private school tuition ends when the kid gets out; high r/e taxes are forever. Little kids use the yard; older ones forget it's there.They are smoking pot and drinking behind the school. Park activities and beaches are free in NYC; many are not in NJ. And WORST OF ALL, NJ females in their teens and twenties wear "leggings" that have the thickness of a pair of nylon stocking as pants and don't even wear a top of at least thigh length over them. They enhance this look with flip flops and in one case I spotted in a supermarket foam rubber toe separators!

Old 06-04-2021, 09:35 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
+1

A few years ago, some friends moved to New Hampshire, because it has no income tax.
Guess what? Their property taxes in NH are slightly higher than the property taxes that they paid in NJ on a home of comparable value, and they have found that municipal services up there are... not great.
And, NJ has eliminated income tax on pensions for most people, so they are actually paying slightly more to live in NH than they paid in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey