Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 10:45 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,254,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They’re not doing it weekly with no end date. There is a total of five 1 million dollar prizes they are giving out, as well as five scholarships to state colleges for teens. They said they are doing it to bring excitement and attention to their vaccination efforts, which it has. The first week after the announcement, the vaccination rate went up 106% in Ohio.

A few public service announcements “get vaccinated” probably cost a few million dollars too, is it really so much worse? They got way more attention to their cause then any PSA would have gotten them for the same amount of money. Especially given its effectiveness it seems to have been a great idea. You may not care if others get vaccinated or not, but the state has more reason to care.
I'm not sure when I was last in the thread so I'm not sure how it's been working. I could have sworn it originally was each week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Calm down. Why are you getting so worked up? I'm simply pointing out how insane it is to have to bribe people to get a vaccine. Getting piece of mind knowing that you'll likely not get so sick if you have the vaccine should be all of the necessary incentive. And you should care if a sizable chunk of the population doesn't get a vaccine. That only makes it much harder to get to herd immunity. Hence, it's all for nothing. I'm glad you parents came to America for a better life. So did millions of other people throughout the decades.

I'm not worked up. I don't ever reply if something bothers me. You're reading it with the tone in your head, you don't get to hear my tone when I write it.

You said first world problems and to incentivize people to get vaccinated.

I'm not vaccinated because I'm allergic to ingredients in the vaccine. If I decide that the variants are that bad and I do need to chance it, I'm going with one and done J&J.

I had an appointment with my GP today, she knows I'm not vaccinated. We talked about it some today because I need to have a lung CT done. I've been putting off everything due to COVID. She told me that NJ has done really well to get to herd immunity and that my chances of actually getting COVID right now are pretty low.

There's a guy posting in a Moderna vaccine thread in the health section that wants to see unvaccinated people lose their driving privileges for not getting one when everyone else had a choice whether they got one or not. I told him he should go live in Europe, or one of the Asian countries where they have no freedoms at all. e hasn't replied to me or in the thread since then so maybe he sees just how stupid his idea is and how lucky he is to be in America.

As I was saying, if you really feel the people in third world countries need people to be their voice then go be their voice. I'm sure you can find a group already dedicated to it. I'm just really tired of people who reply "First world problem, people in third worlds can't get vaccines".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
You don't have to bribe anyone to get the vaccine, let them do it if they want or don't do it if they don't.

All for nothing? So if you get vaccinated, you aren't protecting yourself? The holy grail of herd immunity isn't necessary, you just need to protect yourself.

Agree. Everyone got the vaccine to protect themselves not to protect those of us that couldn't or wouldn't get the vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 6,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree. Everyone got the vaccine to protect themselves not to protect those of us that couldn't or wouldn't get the vaccine.

That's not completely true although, it is partially true. I got it also because my children can't (yet) and I don't want to spread it to them. I got it because I work with people who can't get it and I want to support them. I also got it because it is the right thing to do globally since I can get it (and have no qualms about getting vaccines in general).

Old 06-14-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10032 View Post
That's not completely true although, it is partially true. I got it also because my children can't (yet) and I don't want to spread it to them. I got it because I work with people who can't get it and I want to support them. I also got it because it is the right thing to do globally since I can get it (and have no qualms about getting vaccines in general).
You're one of a very few that feel that way.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:51 PM

19,907 posts, read 8,801,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is discrimination
it is, it's supposed to be, no tickee, no washee

Old 06-14-2021, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 6,946 times
Quote:
You're one of a very few that feel that way.

Not doing things for the greater good is why this has been such a long and arduous process.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10032 View Post
I got it also because my children can't (yet) and I don't want to spread it to them. I got it because I work with people who can't get it and I want to support them. I also got it because it is the right thing to do globally since I can get it (and have no qualms about getting vaccines in general).
Same on all points. Most of the people we socialize with got it because of points 1 and 3. For a few of us,2, is also applicable. Guess it really depends on who your sample is... tells you a lot about the people you spend time.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:00 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Same on all points. Most of the people we socialize with got it because of points 1 and 3. For a few of us,2, is also applicable. Guess it really depends on who your sample is... tells you a lot about the people you spend time.
+1
Indeed it does. When someone makes a statement such as, "Everyone got the vaccine to protect themselves not to protect those of us that couldn't or wouldn't get the vaccine", that statement speaks volumes about the person who came to those incorrect assumptions.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Indeed it does. When someone makes a statement such as, "Everyone got the vaccine to protect themselves not to protect those of us that couldn't or wouldn't get the vaccine", that statement speaks volumes about the person who came to those incorrect assumptions.

Make no mistake, retriever is someone who got the vaccine to protect himself and he also promotes pressure to get others to get the vaccine to also protect him.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Make no mistake, retriever is someone who got the vaccine to protect himself and he also promotes pressure to get others to get the vaccine to also protect him.

Thanks. I don't come here enough to know everyone's posting habits. I do remember some things about some posters here. I know enough about you to know that you know what he does lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

You like to call people out. That much I do remember because you said something similar in the gas shortage thread that also could apply to me. So could this.

Everyone should be getting the vaccine for themselves and their family situation. That much I can understand, but to say you're getting it for everyone that can't or won't get the vaccine would probably be BS since you do like to call attention to people who don't vaccinate.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,472,612 times
Quote:
Thanks. I don't come here enough to know everyone's posting habits. I do remember some things about some posters here. I know enough about you to know that you know what he does lol
ive seen a bunch of people in the higher risk age category pushing pretty hard for others to get vaccinated. i cant help but feel that they are doing it because they are trying to create a safer space for them. that is fine but everyone getting vaccinated seems to pretend it was for others and that is what i perceive from them.

retriever doesnt really seem like a guy who is doing much for the benefit of others. he continuously refuses to give me some of the maters that he grows in his garden. im confident he got vaccinated for himself and also promotes vaccination for his protection not because he cares about the global obligation to others, whatever that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey