Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 AM

38 posts, read 85,536 times

Advertisements

Years before when immigration status was not a big problem in this country, a lot of illegal Europeans came to this country and died illegal. The reason most of white people are Citizen in USA is because they or their parents, grandparents were born here. But, their original roots came from those illegal Europeans whom travel to this great country looking for a better life. Others because world war one and two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
From my experience (lived in NJ for almost 20 years and am now in Arizona), the illegals on the east coast don't call attention to themselves as they do in the southwest.

When I lived in Northern New Jersey (both Essex and Morris counties) the illegals I knew did their best to assimilate into American society by speaking English well and often and by working to support themselves instead of taking advantage of the anchor baby loophole and sitting back collecting social services. And whether they actually really felt it or not, they showed allegiance and respect to the US first instead of their own countries. They seemed to appreciate what they got here instead of demanding more.

But out here in Southern Arizona they show contempt to the US and loyalty to the country they fled from. They have pride in scamming the system and taking all they can from the US taxpayers while trashing us in the process.

All I know is that if I could swing it I'd be back in New Jersey right now.
Well, you might want to visit first. Going to Union City (next door to me in Weehawken) is like visiting a foreign country w/o a passport. I don't know how much of the population is illegal but certainly a fair amount. But I can't compare it with the AZ situation. I would say Union City is not an area hostile to English-speakers but one that is almost completely self-sufficient without them. Individuals become assimilated but the town remains dominantly Latino. JMO from observing the past two years.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
Well, you might want to visit first. Going to Union City (next door to me in Weehawken) is like visiting a foreign country w/o a passport. I don't know how much of the population is illegal but certainly a fair amount. But I can't compare it with the AZ situation. I would say Union City is not an area hostile to English-speakers but one that is almost completely self-sufficient without them. Individuals become assimilated but the town remains dominantly Latino. JMO from observing the past two years.
I believe the Majority of that town is legal. Mostly Cuban , Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and those people aren't the ones to come over illegally. PR and Cuban's get citizenship automatically i don't think i need to explain that. As for not speaking English , they try. At least the ones who own business's do.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBear2Cubs View Post
....no difference. The Italians, Polish etc first generation all lived in little enclaves where they spoke their own language. Ever hear of Little Italy, Little China etc??

What I have observed first hand is that MANY of the children of these illegals are getting American educations, speak perfect English and---drum roll please--that amazing work ethic is producing some top notch citizens. Oh yeah--citizens...because after years of living here, they end up finding legal paths that are aided by education.

I am not for opening the borders for all---but I do think that that before you spew out HATRED, BIGOTRY and JEALOUSY--AND especially before you deign to astand ABOVE another human being, you should examine your own heart to see exactly what makes you so much better beyond where you were born? For--you were born in a walled garden and you cannot blame the people on the outside for wanting to get inside to get some fruit. If you are truly going to measure it, then I would favor the brave person who jumped through hoops to attain work than the person who expects it from a position of entitlement.
Excellent points. I saw an article in the NY Times the other day that noted that as recently as 1986 a particular neighborhood in the Bronx was still predominately Italian-speaking, no different than China Town or Palisades Park, NJ (Korean) now. It has ever been thus in the great U.S. of A.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/ny...8mexicans.html

I do laugh every time someone, like the OP, complains about Spanish in Southern CA - hello, San Diego...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
But out here in Southern Arizona they show contempt to the US and loyalty to the country they fled from. They have pride in scamming the system and taking all they can from the US taxpayers while trashing us in the process.

All I know is that if I could swing it I'd be back in New Jersey right now.
Well here on LI they do exactly that, they fly the flags from their native countries and have absolutely no respect. They turn our towns into the countries into which they came from, a trip through many downtowns here will have at least half the signs in spanish with Mexican, Hondoran, and El Salvadoran flags dominating.
I guess the situation in Jersey isn't as bad. The problem here is that whatever middle class we had is gone and what takes their place are either rich snobs or the illegals they hire as "slaves".
I can tell you with certainty that 80-90% of LI'ers use illegals to do landscaping. I always have a good laugh when I'm up in East Hills seeing a crew of 5-6 day laborers landscaping some snob's lawn with the mexican flag on all their clothes. Clueless....
Very easy to tell the immigrants who are here legally apart, they speak english (or try their best), dress in regular clothes like everyone else (not soiled, paint covered clothes), and behave normally (unlike the gansta wannabees).
The real shame in it is that some ppl will look at someone who is hispanic and automatically assume they are illegal, without looking at their behavior and attitude. Long Island is probably just as bad as Arizona. Whenever I've been to NJ I'm always suprised at the lack of illegal day laborers. I've been to Bergen, Monmouth, Ocean counties and it seems much less. Only a few small areas in Freehold and Lakewood seem to have problems. I know further north places like Paterson, Newark, and Jersey City have problems with them.
Generally not as widespread as here and in AZ. Here on the island we have at least 20 towns that have problems with illegal aliens and the gangs they bring. Too many to list here.
Just call Long Island the O.C. of the East Coast. Rich Housewives, huge SUV's, and hundreds of day laborers waiting on corners and around Home Depot.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I believe the Majority of that town is legal. Mostly Cuban , Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and those people aren't the ones to come over illegally. PR and Cuban's get citizenship automatically i don't think i need to explain that. As for not speaking English , they try. At least the ones who own business's do.
I agree, I've been through Union City plenty and dont see the kind of activity I see in parts of my town, which has problems with illegals.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM

97 posts, read 356,903 times
Cool What ever happened to "No Allegance to nother Nations"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well here on LI they do exactly that, they fly the flags from their native countries and have absolutely no respect. They turn our towns into the countries into which they came from, a trip through many downtowns here will have at least half the signs in spanish with Mexican, Hondoran, and El Salvadoran flags dominating.
I guess the situation in Jersey isn't as bad. The problem here is that whatever middle class we had is gone and what takes their place are either rich snobs or the illegals they hire as "slaves".
I can tell you with certainty that 80-90% of LI'ers use illegals to do landscaping. I always have a good laugh when I'm up in East Hills seeing a crew of 5-6 day laborers landscaping some snob's lawn with the mexican flag on all their clothes. Clueless....
Very easy to tell the immigrants who are here legally apart, they speak english (or try their best), dress in regular clothes like everyone else (not soiled, paint covered clothes), and behave normally (unlike the gansta wannabees).
The real shame in it is that some ppl will look at someone who is Hispanic and automatically assume they are illegal, without looking at their behavior and attitude. Long Island is probably just as bad as Arizona. Whenever I've been to NJ I'm always suprised at the lack of illegal day laborers. I've been to Bergen, Monmouth, Ocean counties and it seems much less. Only a few small areas in Freehold and Lakewood seem to have problems. I know further north places like Paterson, Newark, and Jersey City have problems with them.
Generally not as widespread as here and in AZ. Here on the island we have at least 20 towns that have problems with illegal aliens and the gangs they bring. Too many to list here.
Just call Long Island the O.C. of the East Coast. Rich Housewives, huge SUV's, and hundreds of day laborers waiting on corners and around Home Depot.
I'm proud to be an American, unfortunately most of these folks aren't, I see it all over the place as well. They beg and plead to enter this country citing safety reasons or whatever excuse they are giving but then once here and comfortable start waving the flags of where they came from so proudly.

I commonly see this with Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Mexicans! What gives? Are they really in distress?

What country do they really prefer to be in? What ever happened to "Pledging Allegiance to no the Nation" and agreeing to fight for and defend the United States of America?

I guess you can get them over the border but that doesn't really make them Americans and you can't force someone to love out country, which by the way is the Greatest Nation in the world, period!

I just wish we had a president with a back bone that really loved our country and would agree and say publicly that we are the Greatest Nation in the world and truly believed it and would go as far as to condemn those who did not agree to being DEPORTED....

Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
waving the flags of where they came from so proudly.
Nutley had lots of Italian flags. Drive through Boston and you will see many Irish and Italian flags. it seems some only have a problem when it's the flag of a latin country. Flying a flag has nothing to do with the quality of the person.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:03 AM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Nutley had lots of Italian flags. Drive through Boston and you will see many Irish and Italian flags. it seems some only have a problem when it's the flag of a latin country. Flying a flag has nothing to do with the quality of the person.
Ditto, you can't walk a few feet anywhere in any of the commerical districts in Nutley without seeing an Italian flag. But no one calls them un-American.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 AM

107 posts, read 221,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorKaminski View Post
I'm proud to be an American, unfortunately most of these folks aren't, I see it all over the place as well. They beg and plead to enter this country citing safety reasons or whatever excuse they are giving but then once here and comfortable start waving the flags of where they came from so proudly.

I commonly see this with Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Mexicans! What gives? Are they really in distress?

What country do they really prefer to be in? What ever happened to "Pledging Allegiance to no the Nation" and agreeing to fight for and defend the United States of America?

I guess you can get them over the border but that doesn't really make them Americans and you can't force someone to love out country, which by the way is the Greatest Nation in the world, period!

I just wish we had a president with a back bone that really loved our country and would agree and say publicly that we are the Greatest Nation in the world and truly believed it and would go as far as to condemn those who did not agree to being DEPORTED....
Ay yi yi. I'm a white guy, born in the US, and I don't agree with "pledging allegiance to the flag". I wouldn't fight for the country unless it was something I agreed should involve fighting. I think that many other countries are just as good as the US. And I'm not in favor of immigration laws, period. I think a lot of people are just (barely) hiding their bigotry in many of these comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey