Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:45 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

I was a bartender in Seabright for several years. From Memorial Day to Labor Day was a dizzying blur. We made more money in the winter from our local regulars than we ever made from the non tipping yahoos who came down, got drunk and got into fights. Of course there were exceptions, but mostly we couldn't wait for Labor Day.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
They did an OK job, obviously with a list this long there will be... disagreements.

For me, LBI (particularly the northern half) would be my top choice, but really the whole island is awesome. Surprised Bradley Beach was that high, I found it OK, but was so crowded you could barely access the water. Seaside Park I though was great, but there was a STEEP drop off from the beach to the water (presumably erosion) so wonder if that impacted the ratings.

Margate behind Seaside Heights is....interesting.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:13 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
They did an OK job, obviously with a list this long there will be... disagreements.

For me, LBI (particularly the northern half) would be my top choice, but really the whole island is awesome. Surprised Bradley Beach was that high, I found it OK, but was so crowded you could barely access the water. Seaside Park I though was great, but there was a STEEP drop off from the beach to the water (presumably erosion) so wonder if that impacted the ratings.

Agreed, Bradley beach is about average as it gets. About 1 mile of shoreline, a boardwalk with no attractions, mostly residential and an average beach. Its basically just a drive thru between Belmar and Asbury.

Its no secret that LBI has the best beaches in the state. Really dont mind it being ranked lower than it is as its best people dont know about it.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:40 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Southern Calif and Northern Calif water temps are dramatically different. You can swim July/August depending on how hot it's been south of Santa Monica. Some might argue south of Santa Barbara, but I dunno. Anything north of there is pretty cold. Northern Cal's "summer" is in October and generally the water is usually warm enough by then to swim in.

Nothing like the atlantic coast .

I think the west coast beaches of Florida are the best in the country, including Hawaii.
I had to look at a map of California to see the places you guys are discussing. I had a vague idea of where LA is in relation to SF, and I know San Diego is way down there, but I've never been out there myself.

My friend who said that about the Pacific being so cold lives in West Covina, which I understand is a suburb of LA, so that seems odd.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:43 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

Long Branch has that drop, too, but it's attributable to them pumping up sand from the ocean to replenish the beach after Sandy. I remember seeing it--these huge long tubes running from the ocean to the beach. Maybe Seaside Heights did the same.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to look at a map of California to see the places you guys are discussing. I had a vague idea of where LA is in relation to SF, and I know San Diego is way down there, but I've never been out there myself.

My friend who said that about the Pacific being so cold lives in West Covina, which I understand is a suburb of LA, so that seems odd.
Yeah its a total misconception by us East Coasters about the beach life in the Pacific. The only way to go is wear a wet suit and going surfing as the water is FREEZING.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's colder than the Atlantic for sure but still swimmable compared to northern calif. I wasn't sure what area you were talking about. If you're accustomed to Atlantic temps, especially in August, you'll be disappointed. We were the first time we went .

Old 07-07-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
It's colder than the Atlantic for sure but still swimmable compared to northern calif. I wasn't sure what area you were talking about. If you're accustomed to Atlantic temps, especially in August, you'll be disappointed. We were the first time we went .
The water is about ~10 degrees colder in San Diego than NJ. Northern California is probably ~20 degrees colder than NJ.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The water is about ~10 degrees colder in San Diego than NJ. Northern California is probably ~20 degrees colder than NJ.
Monterey California, as an example, will "top out" at 59 degrees in September. But in January and February its 55 degrees. Suggested in another way, the water temperature doesn't vary much seasonally in the Pacific. And that's what makes living on that ocean some of the most desired and expensive lands in the country. A Mediterranean climate combined with little variation in water temperature makes for absolutely perfect ripe conditions for human habitation. If only for the mudslides and the occasional fires by that coast though!

Old 07-07-2021, 11:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
I would go today if they would leave me alone on the beach.. I may also bring sand to my car..

I'm right by Point Pleasant but the sand is probably hot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey