Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:29 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygrammer View Post
I'm just going by what I see on the internet. I provided the links but if you are saying those are inaccurate, I will negate those. In terms of paying a lot of money for what you get, I'm willing to sacrifice. That's not an issue for me. Public transport is what I'd be doing.

It’s not that the information about those schools are inaccurate. But you’re talking about densely populated areas with several schools and you happen to find the one in each city without terrible ratings. What are the odds of finding a home in that specific neighborhood zoned for those schools? And what happens after elementary school? All the high schools there are rated poorly. Anyhow, I say again that Union City and Jersey City are an odd choice if looking for single family homes, schools aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 10:38 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It’s not that the information about those schools are inaccurate. But you’re talking about densely populated areas with several schools and you happen to find the one in each city without terrible ratings. What are the odds of finding a home in that specific neighborhood zoned for those schools? And what happens after elementary school? All the high schools there are rated poorly. Anyhow, I say again that Union City and Jersey City are an odd choice if looking for single family homes, schools aside.
+1, on all points!

In case the OP thinks that he can send his child to whatever school he chooses in a city, he has to be aware that each school has a "catchment" area, and you must live w/in the catchment area of those few outstanding schools in order for your child to attend there. The odds of finding your ideal home in those limited catchment areas are... not favorable.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 16,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I'm just asking a straightforward question. The other factors while important to some people are not really important to my question although I don't mind answering your concerns. For example, I will move after elementary school. I will also take my time finding "the one". I don't have kids yet so it will be a few years. I have some time to look.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1, on all points!

In case the OP thinks that he can send his child to whatever school he chooses in a city, he has to be aware that each school has a "catchment" area, and you must live w/in the catchment area of those few outstanding schools in order for your child to attend there. The odds of finding your ideal home in those limited catchment areas are... not favorable.

OK. so I guess I have my answer then. These areas exists. And while my chances are low, if I get a home there, it would meet my criteria. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2021, 11:48 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:
OK. so I guess I have my answer then. These areas exists. And while my chances are low, if I get a home there, it would meet my criteria. Thanks!

Make sure that your child will get to go to the closest school to your home. Some towns (Montclair) you do not get to go to your neighborhood school.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:53 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
I think what people are reacting to is that your list of towns is so seemingly random, it's hard to get a feel for what you really want. If you're including both Millburn and Union City, I could make a case then for having nearly every single town in North Jersey within 25 miles of Manhattan included (excluding Newark, Irvington, and Patterson probably). And I'm not saying that to be difficult, but those towns are not cross-shopped - ever. They are different on every level. With your budget, you can afford just about any town.

Heck, if you have $1.5M to spend and want good elementary schools and want to be as close to Manhattan as possible, pick Hoboken. It's great, and you can just about get a starter Brownstone for that right now. And, it's a better commute than UC given PATH and ferry connections in town.

Otherwise, peer towns to Millburn (farther from Manhattan, but better schools and leafier SFH neighborhoods) would be Summit, Ridgewood, Westfield and (yes) Glen Ridge. Think larger, well kept homes with yards, town centers with train stations, but still too dense for acreage like you would find 50 miles outside NYC.

Towns more similar to Union City would be Hoboken or Jersey City, with both of those being more expensive but still within your budget. In this tier, think row houses or small-footprint SFH with no or little grass/yards. And in the case of Hoboken or JC throw brownstones or high-rises into the mix.

And Fort Lee would be somewhere in the middle, with a town like Rutherford being somewhat similar (more urban than Millburn, but less urban than Union City).

Old 07-21-2021, 12:38 PM

962 posts, read 541,032 times
With that budget, you should be looking at Tenafly. Union City doesn't have good schools, and I'd have to imagine very few SFHs. Same with Jersey City. Fort Lee has pretty good schools, but also tons of duplexes. Glen Ridge and Millburn check your boxes, except for proximity to NYC.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I think what people are reacting to is that your list of towns is so seemingly random, it's hard to get a feel for what you really want. If you're including both Millburn and Union City, I could make a case then for having nearly every single town in North Jersey within 25 miles of Manhattan included (excluding Newark, Irvington, and Patterson probably). And I'm not saying that to be difficult, but those towns are not cross-shopped - ever. They are different on every level. With your budget, you can afford just about any town.

Heck, if you have $1.5M to spend and want good elementary schools and want to be as close to Manhattan as possible, pick Hoboken. It's great, and you can just about get a starter Brownstone for that right now. And, it's a better commute than UC given PATH and ferry connections in town.

Otherwise, peer towns to Millburn (farther from Manhattan, but better schools and leafier SFH neighborhoods) would be Summit, Ridgewood, Westfield and (yes) Glen Ridge. Think larger, well kept homes with yards, town centers with train stations, but still too dense for acreage like you would find 50 miles outside NYC.

Towns more similar to Union City would be Hoboken or Jersey City, with both of those being more expensive but still within your budget. In this tier, think row houses or small-footprint SFH with no or little grass/yards. And in the case of Hoboken or JC throw brownstones or high-rises into the mix.

And Fort Lee would be somewhere in the middle, with a town like Rutherford being somewhat similar (more urban than Millburn, but less urban than Union City).

Hoboken seems seems not to have a great school district. Seems like the ones I saw in Union City and Paulus Hook are way better.

My top priority is to be close to the city. I know it's only a few more minutes but Summit, Ridgewood, and Westfield are starting to get a little bit farther. I'd like to be 1 hour or less. I think if I basically live right near the train station in Millburn, I'm right on that edge of 1 hour. Same with Glenridge.

Rutherford is interesting though. I'll look into that.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:27 PM

332 posts, read 522,710 times
Pretty much any town that has a substantial number of >1mm houses in NJ is going to have good schools (obviously there are SOME exceptions, Englewood for example). Density differs greatly, just look at satellite views and compare Fort Lee to Tenafly, for example. Some towns have mostly 1/4 acre or smaller lots, some have bigger. Some allow 6k square foot houses on tiny lots, some don't. Proximity also means different things depending on whether you are commuting (and what time) or just want to be close to NYC for nights out, museums, etc.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:28 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
If your top priority is to be close to the city, then live in Hoboken. Or live in the city. Then when you actually need the good schools worry about where you'll live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey