Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm not that involved in the local politics/planning boards for Morris County to have inside information, but I am seeing heavy development occurring around the area in and around Morris Plains. They are building hundreds of these townhomes on the old Colgate/Mennan site that are $800k-$1M+. Additionally, rt. 53 looks like its all under construction to build new Corporate Offices on the old Pfizer building and hundreds of lower income townhomes/apartments on the land across the street. What's that going to do with the town?

https://www.dailyrecord.com/story/ne...nts/596381002/

I thought it was strange that Hilton, Marriott & Hyatt are all under planning at the moment to build more hotels in Mountain Lakes, Denville and Rockaway down rt. 46. I'm guessing they're projecting a lot more businesses to move into the area? I know Deloitte is building their HQ now right near the Green in Morristown.

The way I'm looking at it, is its probably a good time to own a Single Family Home in the area, because they're not building them anymore (result from Mount Laurel Doctrine) and after these businesses move into the area house prices are going be even in more demand.
I am not a developer, nor do I have any inside information. The impression in town seems to be that this is too much too fast in terms of housing, but there is nothing to be done. There doesn't seem to be much worry about the schools being affected from those more in the know than I am, and I actually think it could help grow the Morris Plains downtown if the people in some of those places started visiting local businesses. That is my hope in looking for a silver lining at least!

I do have some worry about traffic and other infrastructure locally, but this doesn't seem to just be a Morris Plains issue. 700k+ Luxury townhomes are flying up all over Morris County. I have no idea who is buying them. No one I know! The Mennen ones aren't even well located--unless you are a big fan of ShopRite.

There are also loads of vacant office and retail buildings around on 10, but they are building new instead. So, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 06:13 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuchpastasauce View Post
I am not a developer, nor do I have any inside information. The impression in town seems to be that this is too much too fast in terms of housing, but there is nothing to be done. There doesn't seem to be much worry about the schools being affected from those more in the know than I am, and I actually think it could help grow the Morris Plains downtown if the people in some of those places started visiting local businesses. That is my hope in looking for a silver lining at least!

I do have some worry about traffic and other infrastructure locally, but this doesn't seem to just be a Morris Plains issue. 700k+ Luxury townhomes are flying up all over Morris County. I have no idea who is buying them. No one I know! The Mennen ones aren't even well located--unless you are a big fan of ShopRite.

There are also loads of vacant office and retail buildings around on 10, but they are building new instead. So, who knows?
Too many people want to live in the area and there’s not enough housing. Those townhouses will sell no doubt, and sell quickly. Take The Crossings at Radburn in Fair Lawn, as has been mentioned by me and a few other here… built on a formerly(?) poisoned Superfund site, right next to the railroad tracks and busy Route 208, in one of Bergen County’s (formerly) middle-class towns. They had no problem selling in the $600,000+ range, and the last few houses will likely sell in the $700,000 range… quickly.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:54 PM

54 posts, read 90,800 times
Hanover Township/Whippany is also very nice, good parks & schools. Tons of shopping opportunities. Easy access to Rt 10, Rt 24, I287 and I80. No real downtown area, but the town approved the building of something big in the abandoned area off Eden Lane that will have a downtown feel to it. Also there's a rumor that Costco might move out of East Hanover into Pine Plaza in Whippany (including Costco Gas). Lots of big ratables in town help keep our taxes low. Oh and the Bee Meadow pool is awesome.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:31 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdkj View Post
Hanover Township/Whippany is also very nice, good parks & schools. Tons of shopping opportunities. Easy access to Rt 10, Rt 24, I287 and I80. No real downtown area, but the town approved the building of something big in the abandoned area off Eden Lane that will have a downtown feel to it. Also there's a rumor that Costco might move out of East Hanover into Pine Plaza in Whippany (including Costco Gas). Lots of big ratables in town help keep our taxes low. Oh and the Bee Meadow pool is awesome.
And Wegman’s. Don’t forget Wegman’s.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 AM

54 posts, read 90,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
And Wegman’s. Don’t forget Wegman’s.
Wegmans is interesting, but highly overpriced. I'd rather drive East on State Route 10 down to the Rt 10 Farmers Market for fresh produce, then continue driving East to the new Aldi in Livingston for the rest of our stable groceries. I'm going to miss the Route 10 Farmers Market when I move to Doylestown next month.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:21 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Wegmans is interesting, but highly overpriced. I'd rather drive East on State Route 10 down to the Rt 10 Farmers Market for fresh produce, then continue driving East to the new Aldi in Livingston for the rest of our stable groceries. I'm going to miss the Route 10 Farmers Market when I move to Doylestown next month.
Wegmans is great but for a full food shop Shoprite is the best.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:53 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Kind of surprised to see someone say that. One of the things that impressed me about Wegman's was being able to get things you could find in Whole Foods or specialty stores at much lower prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Wegmans is great but for a full food shop Shoprite is the best.
...but I've made far fewer trips to Wegman's 20 minutes away since they opened our new ShopRite two years ago that's only five minutes away.

I used to love the Wegman's Greek/middle eastern food bar, but they took it away and sold all the things packaged, and the new ShopRite has those same items, so why bother.

Also, Wegman's used to have the best sales on cat food, and with four cats, I would stock up. They've all gone to the big litter box in the sky now, so that need has vanished.

Old 08-02-2021, 12:37 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Kind of surprised to see someone say that. One of the things that impressed me about Wegman's was being able to get things you could find in Whole Foods or specialty stores at much lower prices.

...but I've made far fewer trips to Wegman's 20 minutes away since they opened our new ShopRite two years ago that's only five minutes away.
The bottom line is that everyone needs to do careful comparison shopping in order to determine which stores have the best prices on the items that they usually buy. I know of a few products that are cheaper at Whole Foods than they are at Shop-Rite. Most of Shop-Rite's items are cheaper than the same product at Wegmans--but not always. It... varies...

And, even at the same chain, prices can vary from one location to another. For instance, Whole Foods puts their stores into "metro city" groups. Three of their NJ stores are in their Philly pricing group, and as a result their prices are cheaper--sometimes far cheaper--than the prices at Whole Foods stores that are in the NYC metro pricing group.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:58 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The bottom line is that everyone needs to do careful comparison shopping in order to determine which stores have the best prices on the items that they usually buy. I know of a few products that are cheaper at Whole Foods than they are at Shop-Rite. Most of Shop-Rite's items are cheaper than the same product at Wegmans--but not always. It... varies...

And, even at the same chain, prices can vary from one location to another. For instance, Whole Foods puts their stores into "metro city" groups. Three of their NJ stores are in their Philly pricing group, and as a result their prices are cheaper--sometimes far cheaper--than the prices at Whole Foods stores that are in the NYC metro pricing group.

In Brick, there is a Shop Rite a plaza across from a Trader Joe's, (that's my name too but don't know much about them) and it is all about a mile or two from a Walmart.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:12 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
In Brick, there is a Shop Rite a plaza across from a Trader Joe's, (that's my name too but don't know much about them) and it is all about a mile or two from a Walmart.
Your name is Trader Joe?
You should sue them for copyright infringement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey