Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM

22 posts, read 133,547 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house which would need ripping apart the entire carpet....

Can anyone tell me what would be the cost per sqft (including carpet or just the labor) of putting new carpet?
An estimation would also help...

Any good handyman in North Brunswick area who can do this cheap?

regards

Bong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I got a great deal from Carpet Mills which are located in Easton,Pa (they may go into NJ) and also in Tannersville, Pa.
My daughter got a good deal also.
For a 1750 sq foot home it came to 3,600 with a good padding and the rug I loved.
Installed in two days.....and a job well done( watch the sq yard, and sq foot estimations)
My Mom at a well known rug place spent about the same for a small living room and two bedrooms! They quoted her 1500 in the store........when measured it became 3 grand!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
You don't want a "handyman" to change carpet- most don't have the proper tools for seaming and stretching the carpet and will just make a mess of it. Your best bet is to buy the carpet from someplace that supplies and installs- this includes just about any carpet store, and even Home Depot and Lowes. Regarding cost, you can pay anywhere from a low of around $1.50/sf for junk carpet and pad that will last a few years, to around $3/sf or so for decent carpet and pad, and it can easily go to $5/sf for really good quality carpet and pad.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM

183 posts, read 521,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong View Post
I am planning to buy a house which would need ripping apart the entire carpet....

Can anyone tell me what would be the cost per sqft (including carpet or just the labor) of putting new carpet?
An estimation would also help...

Any good handyman in North Brunswick area who can do this cheap?

regards

Bong
I just had it done for the third time by the best guy ever. I've referred more than twenty people to him and they ALL thought he was amazing. He's been in the business for more than thirty years and works directly with manufacturers so that you're not paying showroom rent. His prices are amazing, quality incredible and he does wood floors, too. Tell him Sherry told you online. His work and quality is so much better than the carpeting I once purchased for four times teh price from Einstein Moomjy....

His name is Gary VanHook. He covers the entire region. His phone number is:
201-954-1634.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,929,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You don't want a "handyman" to change carpet- most don't have the proper tools for seaming and stretching the carpet and will just make a mess of it. Your best bet is to buy the carpet from someplace that supplies and installs- this includes just about any carpet store, and even Home Depot and Lowes. Regarding cost, you can pay anywhere from a low of around $1.50/sf for junk carpet and pad that will last a few years, to around $3/sf or so for decent carpet and pad, and it can easily go to $5/sf for really good quality carpet and pad.
No disrespect Bob, but have you been to the carpet stores lately? Since carpet is a petroleum based product the prices are through the roof!!! Plus, apparently it all comes from the GA area (maybe why it's cheaper near you) and the surcharges for trucking it up to NJ are insane. I got about 800 sq. ft. carpeted about six months ago with decent grade and it ran me around $5,000. I didn't see much in the store for under $4/sq. ft.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
No disrespect Bob, but have you been to the carpet stores lately? Since carpet is a petroleum based product the prices are through the roof!!! Plus, apparently it all comes from the GA area (maybe why it's cheaper near you) and the surcharges for trucking it up to NJ are insane. I got about 800 sq. ft. carpeted about six months ago with decent grade and it ran me around $5,000. I didn't see much in the store for under $4/sq. ft.
Ouch, I hate to tell you this but you seem to have overpaid.
Home Depot has carpeting as cheap as 44 cents psf (without padding and install). My wife works for a flooring company and the prices that we have paid thru her company are much cheaper than $4 psf.
Hopefully you paid that much for the "top of the line" carpeting.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
I'm with Fisch- either you got very good carpet, or you got hosed. Did you go to a mom-and-pop shop, or one of the bigger stores? While prices have definitely risen, you can still get OK carpet for under $2/sf installed- even in NJ. Just to make sure I'm not nuts, I checked Worldwide Carpet's website (located in Edison) and also Home Depot (whic surprisingly, isn't a bad place to buy carpet) and they both had a number of choices in the sub-$2/sf range.

Some things that may have driven the cost up for you include the relatively small area you're covering, and you may also have had some room sizes that required alot of waste and/or seaming.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm with Fisch- either you got very good carpet, or you got hosed. Did you go to a mom-and-pop shop, or one of the bigger stores? While prices have definitely risen, you can still get OK carpet for under $2/sf installed- even in NJ. Just to make sure I'm not nuts, I checked Worldwide Carpet's website (located in Edison) and also Home Depot (whic surprisingly, isn't a bad place to buy carpet) and they both had a number of choices in the sub-$2/sf range.

Some things that may have driven the cost up for you include the relatively small area you're covering, and you may also have had some room sizes that required alot of waste and/or seaming.
I used a local store, Floor Solutions in Hackettstown. I just pulled my invoice to get the specifics. 864 sf of Mohawk carpet $4.89/sf installed with a 7/16" pad. $150 for a staircase runner of the same carpet, $87.50 to bind it, total $4,462 before tax. So that's overpriced, or is that typical for that brand of carpet? Other carpets I looked at felt like "cack" BTW the customer service was top notch and the installers were great.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,573 times
Quote:
I used a local store, Floor Solutions in Hackettstown. I just pulled my invoice to get the specifics. 864 sf of Mohawk carpet $4.89/sf installed with a 7/16" pad. $150 for a staircase runner of the same carpet, $87.50 to bind it, total $4,462 before tax. So that's overpriced, or is that typical for that brand of carpet? Other carpets I looked at felt like "cack" BTW the customer service was top notch and the installers were great.
Calico, sounds really nice.
Wifey says that you must have purchased a very high grade Mohawk!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Calico, sounds really nice.
Wifey says that you must have purchased a very high grade Mohawk!
It feels nice under bare feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey