Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 07:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
East Side Mario’s sounds vaguely familiar to me. Was that a local joint in Jersey back in the day? Apparently it’s now a Canadian chain that looks a lot like Olive Garden (they even do unlimited salad and breadsticks and all you can eat pasta on Wednesdays). But that’s definitely not ringing the bell for me…

UPDATE: Did a little more research, and they used to be in the US as well. Guess I heard the name before, but I’ve never been to one.
I've only seen them in Canada, but I've never eaten at one. Didn't know it was ever in the USA.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:21 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I remember passing by this many times. I never went in though. ARe they just a burgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers and pizza place?
Really good charbroiled burgers. And yes stuck in time, as zhelder said. They even had b&w photos of the place and Route 17 from the 1950s and 60s, when there was a grassy median and none of the crowded buildings that line the highway now.

The same article also noted that the Nabisco plant on 208 in Fair Lawn closed a couple of weeks ago, too. I don't think my heart can take all this change. The smell of cookies wafting through the air was part of living in Fair Lawn.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:28 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I remember passing by this many times. I never went in though. ARe they just a burgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers and pizza place?

Yea I’m familiar with the place from driving past it a bunch of times but I don’t recall anyone ever talking about it so I had no desire to go. Didn’t realize it was so popular. Makes you wonder why they didn’t just sell the place instead of shutting down (maybe it’s in the article, I didn’t read the whole thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 08:34 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yea I’m familiar with the place from driving past it a bunch of times but I don’t recall anyone ever talking about it so I had no desire to go. Didn’t realize it was so popular. Makes you wonder why they didn’t just sell the place instead of shutting down (maybe it’s in the article, I didn’t read the whole thing).
The owner claims he couldn’t find a buyer, but who knows if that’s true. The property’s worth a fortune.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:38 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really good charbroiled burgers. And yes stuck in time, as zhelder said. They even had b&w photos of the place and Route 17 from the 1950s and 60s, when there was a grassy median and none of the crowded buildings that line the highway now.

The same article also noted that the Nabisco plant on 208 in Fair Lawn closed a couple of weeks ago, too. I don't think my heart can take all this change. The smell of cookies wafting through the air was part of living in Fair Lawn.
Yup, and being a Fair Lawner most of my life, the Nabisco closing really hurt. All of my friends from town are of course flipping out. Another legend gone, there since 1958. There have been a few jokes about turning it into a giant weed manufacturing plant/dispensary, but the town would never allow it, especially in that area. More apartments, and maybe some new retail (The Promenade has been a huge success) coming.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:38 AM

7,367 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Was a cool place. Used to stop there for lunch often when I was younger. Can't say the food was anything great, just the nostalgia of it

I figured they would close soon because of covid they had really been struggling.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:10 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,842,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
East Side Mario’s sounds vaguely familiar to me. Was that a local joint in Jersey back in the day? Apparently it’s now a Canadian chain that looks a lot like Olive Garden (they even do unlimited salad and breadsticks and all you can eat pasta on Wednesdays). But that’s definitely not ringing the bell for me…

UPDATE: Did a little more research, and they used to be in the US as well. Guess I heard the name before, but I’ve never been to one.
East Side Mario's was awesome.

I was a kid, yeah, but going there was a cool thing. Saturday night dinner out, once maybe twice I forget. It was midway between Upstate NY and North NJ (Bayonne, et al) so..

At first glance, they appear to be a COVID casualty. https://www.eastsidemarios.com/en.html

Can't see if they are still open at the ... what was it. Paramus? Mahwah? Was NOT Secaucus... Ramsey??? Same town as Cruizin' With RCs... which was in Waldwick, NJ. Ahh, the memories of here. Cruizinrc - Main

Had no idea about "Canadian ownership." Want to say "Don't know don't care" but, it's not 1992 anymore..

Old 08-01-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've only seen them in Canada, but I've never eaten at one. Didn't know it was ever in the USA.
I'm going to have to honestly ask my Dad about this. He didn't pick up the phone yesterday.

It wasn't far from the Paramus what was the name of that, the Palisades Mall?? ... Where Toys R'Us, Malcom Conner and "Corvette World" were.. Vaguely around the area of Rt 17 where its a huuuge hill up and down and you can see the whole NYC (like ALL of it. Empire State and World Trade Center) from the top, if facing NJ, and then if leaving from NYC direction you are then close to Tuxedo... Okay maybe not as far as that but.. Paramus, Ramsey, somewhere there. Around this place somewhere https://www.facebook.com/CruizinRC/
^ I am describing a general area to you because, dammit, if I *distinctly* remember going to East Side Mario's, a group of us, for a party or something a few times (again, I was young) but it was Rt 17/Paramus area. I am Googling too.. all we can really do?? I'm talking about an experience in the 90s, probably the early 90s. I'll get the answer for you. Had to be somewhere in Bergen County, by that highway, again I keep coming back to Route 17...

Now they seem to just have "this one." https://businessfinder.nj.com/east-s...menton-nj.html

East Side Marios
1370 Blackwood Clementon Rd
Clementon NJ 08021
(856) 782-1969

Quote:
Is there East Side Marios in the USA?
In 1982, the first Pat & Mario's Restaurant was opened in Whitby, Ontario. ... By 1993, Prime Restaurants had expanded East Side Mario's throughout the United States through an American subsidiary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Side_Mario%27s

This photo I remember.

I will settle this when Dad picks up the phone. Old fart probably isn't even awake yet.

Last edited by PatrioticSuperman; 08-01-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-01-2021, 06:21 AM

Number 16 on this list, Schwaebische Alb - Very good family memory there. I see they are closed too.

This thread is making me sad.

40 beloved N.J. restaurants that closed too soon
Updated May 14, 2019; Posted Aug 21, 2018 https://www.nj.com/entertainment/201...nger_exis.html

Old 08-01-2021, 06:29 AM

^^^ You know what... That is the answer. They are all closed. Even the Blackwood-Clementon one.

That is probably why I see no mention. Probably closed about two decades ago........

Here is what they look like. You probably remember seeing them too.

They sure did go the way of Bertucci's....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQm0B1PUAxU

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey