Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 02:47 PM

18,524 posts, read 10,465,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotravel15 View Post
SOMA is a liberal school district
LOL, no, no it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 04:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,435,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, no, no it's not.
What makes you say that? The small group of entitled limousine “liberals” who put on a big show to get the schools reopened before it was safe because they couldn’t stand that their salaries were being knocked down from $500,000 to $475,000 and that they had to spend more time dealing with their entitled kids because of the plague notwithstanding, SOMA is definitely a liberal area.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petunie View Post
Thank you MightyQueen -- here are my responses:

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn
Why are you moving? We need more space
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Downtown NYC

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? Ideally 850K, but can go up to ~1M
What kind of place are you looking for ? A 4 Bedroom or a 3 Bedroom that can accommodate a guest in the basement. It'd be great if the house has pool potential, but that's more like a dream than a need

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse + 2 small kids
Do you need/want good public schools? Our highest priority is great public schools!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Ideally we're looking for a forever home with a liberal and close-knit community, families with young children would be great.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Great schools, good community, bearable commute

I would need a train -- our jobs are downtown. Commute less than an hour would be a dream, but we'd be okay with something slightly longer -- 1.5 hours is probably the max for us.
Millburn ,Westfield, NewProvedince,Summit,Livingston all can serve you well.Maybe even Chatham.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
What makes you say that? The small group of entitled limousine “liberals” who put on a big show to get the schools reopened before it was safe because they couldn’t stand that their salaries were being knocked down from $500,000 to $475,000 and that they had to spend more time dealing with their entitled kids because of the plague notwithstanding, SOMA is definitely a liberal area.
We get it, you have a a bias agenda ,great good for you but your wrong.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:59 PM

3,403 posts, read 1,791,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
SOMA is hipster slang/shorthand for South Orange/Maplewood.
Never, ever... ever ever ever heard that term used in my life.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:00 PM

3,403 posts, read 1,791,099 times
Quote:
LOL, no, no it's not.
LOL, yes, yes it is (though, again, I question the term "SOMA.")

Old 08-10-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
LOL, yes, yes it is (though, again, I question the term "SOMA.")
You live in Brick.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:43 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,536,358 times
Quote:
We get it, you have a a bias agenda ,great good for you but your wrong.

South Orange/Maplewood is about as liberal as it gets for suburbs in NJ. I don't think it's even debatable.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:25 AM

54 posts, read 89,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
To the OP. I went to Maplewood Jr. mid 1960's. At that time the schools were very good now not as good but at the least decent. SO doesn't have the same cache it did many years ago but overall the SO Maplewood area is better than decent as long as you stay away from the Irvington and Orange borders.
Maplewood (also SO) in the 60's to late 70's was a very special time and place. While I feel the magic of that era is mostly diminished, it's still a great location to raise your children into well cultured responsible adults. Amazing programs for children and families are still abundant.

Taxes are now outrageous for what you get in property and living space. It's a tough call I'm glad I didn't have to make.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM

1,612 posts, read 3,741,131 times
It doesnt matter if South Orange/Maplewood (refuse to use the 4 letter "code" since that is just for people that want to make it sound cool) is liberal or not. It is a lousy school district with ridiculous taxes for what you get.

And democrat is NOT the same as liberal. Places like Millburn/Westfield/... might have voted democrat, but I wouldnt call them liberal. Princeton is though. All of the professors there make it that why as well as make the schools good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey