Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM

23 posts, read 28,803 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for those who might know more about NJ -- we're currently in Brooklyn (family of 4 with small kids) and are looking for more space with great schools and good community feeling (we're both liberal and like the feeling of "belonging" in Brooklyn). We also would like to be close to NYC, if possible (<1H to NYC)

We were looking into the SOMA area but I'm hearing that schools are not what it used to be (E.g., school buildings are old and literally falling apart in some cases, education is acceptable rather than great, parents don't like the school board, etc). Is that true for elementary schools in the SOMA area? Is the quality not what it used to be? Is one area better than the other -- e.g., Are Maplewood elementary schools better than SO elementary schools? If we're going to end up sending our kids to private school because of a deteriorating school system, the move to NJ ends up being less attractive to me because of the high taxes.

Is there another area outside of the immediate SOMA area with great schools and good community that I should be exploring?

Thank you for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 09:43 AM

962 posts, read 540,752 times
Consider Montclair, Verona, and Glen Ridge. Also consider Fair Lawn, Glen Rock, and Ridgewood, but those are probably outside of your <1H to NYC requirement (pretty sure most places are, these days).

Old 08-04-2021, 10:02 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times
I would look at Livingston also. Monmouth County a bit longer ride into NY but worth a look.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
All the liberal areas in NJ are high taxes and less desirable. Montclair is probably what you want.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much. I'll look into all those that are listed -- do you have any thoughts regarding the rumors about the schools in the SOMA & Montclair area? Is the education/infrastructure really getting worse over time?

Old 08-04-2021, 02:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,540 times
Do you need a train, or are you okay driving into the city? If you don’t need a train, check out Fort Lee. Maybe Rutherford as well, and they do have a train.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Indulge me here. I've lived in New Jersey for 63 years and have NO idea what the "SOMA area" might be.

Also, what kind of budget do you have? Where in the city do you work? That can make a difference.

The less-than-one-hour-with-good-schools commute is sort of an amusing stereotype on this forum, a non-existent fantasy that for some reason NY-ers imagine is available is NJ in the 21st century and probably was fifty years ago. But with the right budget and work location, people here can help you find as close to it as possible.

Any other info you can provide to help people help you would be good. Check out the sticky that appears on the top of the page to see if there is anything else we should know.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...residents.html

Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Indulge me here. I've lived in New Jersey for 63 years and have NO idea what the "SOMA area" might be.

Also, what kind of budget do you have? Where in the city do you work? That can make a difference.

The less-than-one-hour-with-good-schools commute is sort of an amusing stereotype on this forum, a non-existent fantasy that for some reason NY-ers imagine is available is NJ in the 21st century and probably was fifty years ago. But with the right budget and work location, people here can help you find as close to it as possible.

Any other info you can provide to help people help you would be good. Check out the sticky that appears on the top of the page to see if there is anything else we should know.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...residents.html
SOMA is hipster slang/shorthand for South Orange/Maplewood.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:08 PM

189 posts, read 582,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
All the liberal areas in NJ are high taxes and less desirable. Montclair is probably what you want.
Less desirable in what respect? I think the data supports that Montclair's real estate market has been very much in demand and that is a very liberal community. Please share your data.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:08 PM

Thank you MightyQueen -- here are my responses:

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn
Why are you moving? We need more space
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Downtown NYC

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? Ideally 850K, but can go up to ~1M
What kind of place are you looking for ? A 4 Bedroom or a 3 Bedroom that can accommodate a guest in the basement. It'd be great if the house has pool potential, but that's more like a dream than a need

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Spouse + 2 small kids
Do you need/want good public schools? Our highest priority is great public schools!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Ideally we're looking for a forever home with a liberal and close-knit community, families with young children would be great.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Great schools, good community, bearable commute

I would need a train -- our jobs are downtown. Commute less than an hour would be a dream, but we'd be okay with something slightly longer -- 1.5 hours is probably the max for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey