Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:29 PM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
That area really isn’t close to the beach. Just because it’s in a county that has oceanside that doesn’t mean it’s close to the beach. Aside from maybe Allentown/Upper Freehold/Millstone it’s about as far from the beach as you can be without crossing a county line. And to go almost anywhere you sit in traffic on all these narrow country roads and it takes 3 cycles on average just to get through a light.

For a decent community in that area close to the beach, I’d concentrate on Wannamassa/Oakhurst (Ocean Twp) or Tinton Falls. Easy access to the Garden State Parkway and the highway portion of Rt 18. Schools are at least as good in Ocean Twp if not better.

Less than half hour to Pt. Pleasant I know I lived there amigo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 PM

608 posts, read 239,346 times
Quote:
That area really isn’t close to the beach. Just because it’s in a county that has oceanside that doesn’t mean it’s close to the beach. Aside from maybe Allentown/Upper Freehold/Millstone it’s about as far from the beach as you can be without crossing a county line. And to go almost anywhere you sit in traffic on all these narrow country roads and it takes 3 cycles on average just to get through a light.

For a decent community in that area close to the beach, I’d concentrate on Wannamassa/Oakhurst (Ocean Twp) or Tinton Falls. Easy access to the Garden State Parkway and the highway portion of Rt 18. Schools are at least as good in Ocean Twp if not better.

I ain't worried about "close" to the beach, barely anything closer to a beach than where I'm currently at anyway, unless I lived near the tracks on Brighton Beach Ave, or dirt-nasty Mermaid Ave.

Quote:
I knew someone who lived in Taylor Gardens in East Brunswick. Nice apartments. I'd focus on the Brunswicks - North, South and East - before looking anywhere else personally given your situation. Close to the Turnpike, NEC, schools are good.

Commuting from Rt 9 is awful no matter how you slice it. And I seriously doubt you'll find a rental in Manalapan, if there even are any, unless there are some condos bought and rented out by contractors, or you find some rathole multifamily in Englishtown. That area has all the (first world) problems of Monmouth County without any of its perks. If you live that far away from the city, you'd want to at least be close to a major highway like the Turnpike, so you don't have to sit at a gazillion lights for multiple cycles. Rt 9 way down there is a parking lot with almost all at-grade intersections. There is also a major attitude problem there with lots of displaced south shore Staten Island lowlives who act like their crap doesn't stink, this sort of jarring, superlative "my house is bigger than yours, my town/neighborhood is better than yours" mentality that permeates that entire region, and I really don't like it and prefer not to be around it. But let's not pretend every town on Rt 9 between South Amboy and Lakewood isn't chock full of this element, however much there may exist of other elements will vary town by town, but Manalapan and Marlboro are the worst in terms of insularity, and are outright incestuous in that regard. Oh and if you are not either Jewish or Italian, get the hell out of town.
As long as it isn't the Irvington demographic, we're fine.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:58 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I ain't worried about "close" to the beach, barely anything closer to a beach than where I'm currently at anyway, unless I lived near the tracks on Brighton Beach Ave, or dirt-nasty Mermaid Ave.
I was responding to the other guy who wants to champion the place. I know you never said you cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
As long as it isn't the Irvington demographic, we're fine.
Pretty much a "white" version of Irvington, with plenty of Guido and Jewish American supremacy to go around.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Less than half hour to Pt. Pleasant I know I lived there amigo.
I don't believe that for a second. Maybe 30 years ago, if you left at 3am and did 100mph down Rt 18 would you make it there less than 1/2 hr.

Seriously. Just to get to 18, which does not touch Manalapan, it takes a good 10-15 minutes sitting in traffic on all those narrow roads, getting stuck at those lights etc.

You're down south now. When did you move out of the place?

Old 08-21-2021, 08:16 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
Quote:
I don't believe that for a second. Maybe 30 years ago, if you left at 3am and did 100mph down Rt 18 would you make it there less than 1/2 hr.

Seriously. Just to get to 18, which does not touch Manalapan, it takes a good 10-15 minutes sitting in traffic on all those narrow roads, getting stuck at those lights etc.

You're down south now. When did you move out of the place?
I moved out in 2016 the area is not that much more congested now.

I lived on the Marlboro/Manalapan border Wyncrest Road area. After I moved to the area off Route 537 Freehold/Colts Neck border you could pick up 18 and be in Pt. Pleasant in 30 minutes. From that part of Manalapan it didn't take much longer than that.

What narrow roads and traffic lights are you talking about?

Are you saying you think it takes an hour to get from that area to the beaches? By horse?

Old 08-23-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I moved out in 2016 the area is not that much more congested now.

I lived on the Marlboro/Manalapan border Wyncrest Road area. After I moved to the area off Route 537 Freehold/Colts Neck border you could pick up 18 and be in Pt. Pleasant in 30 minutes. From that part of Manalapan it didn't take much longer than that.

What narrow roads and traffic lights are you talking about?
Union Hill, Newman Springs, Ryan, 79. Oh that's right they finally widened up Kozloski to 2 lanes each way. How overdue was that? I would get off the exit for Newman Springs on 18 when I worked over there, and sit in that for I don't know how long. It would back up onto the highway from the off-ramp. I traveled regularly between Middlesex, Monmouth, Mercer, Burlington, Camden, Union and Somerset Counties for the better part of 25 years, and Monmouth always had the worst roads, period. Either in poor condition, or overcapacity not equipped to handle the current traffic volume, or both. If you can't get through an intersection in three light changes it's a problem. Staten Island South.

I had to drive through Manalapan recently. Gordons Corner Rd had been the only county road in that town that had two lanes each way. I saw recently they got rid of the two lanes and "downgraded" it to one each way with a center turn lane in the middle. BS bandaid. Is that cheap garbage what you want your HUGE property tax bill to fund? My hat's off to you.

Quote:
Are you saying you think it takes an hour to get from that area to the beaches? By horse?
Upwards of 45 minutes when you factor in all that. Car. I never even rode a horse for pleasure. Just as most of what should be a 10 minute drive in that area takes upwards of 40 minutes because it gets too much traffic that it isn't built for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey