Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 11:34 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times

Advertisements

Many of you may have probably read or heard about an insect called the spotted lanternfly. It is an invasive species that is making its way along the northeast corridor, having first been seen in Pennsylvania in 2014.

Its preferred host is the ailanthus tree (Tree of Heaven), which grows all over NJ. It can also feed on other trees such as apples, birch, cherry, grapes, lilac, maple, poplar, etc.

The spotted lanternfly causes serious damage, including: oozing sap, wilting, leaf curling and dieback in trees, vines, crops, and many other types of plants. In addition to plant damage, when spotted lanternflies feed, they excrete a sugary substance, called honeydew, that encourages the growth of black sooty mold.

If you see them, you should report the sighting to the NJ Agricultural Division, by submitting the form at the bottom of the page on this link:

https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divis...ed-lanternfly/

There are more photos of the SLF life cycle on the link, and additional information as well. If you catch them, you can kill them by spraying with a water and dishwashing liquid mixture, or crushing them. The NJ Department of Agriculture doesn't recommend using fly tape on trees, as it can catch beneficial insects, birds, and even squirrels. They recommend using circle traps instead, which you can buy or make yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Invasion of the Spotted Lanternfly-slf1.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:44 PM

62 posts, read 49,543 times
Had my share of the dreaded spotted latern fly. Man they jump very fast, so stepping on them is hard. I researched and used Dawn dish detergent and water. (50/50 mix) in a spray bottle for my deck area. Spray them 1 time and they jump, you have to follow and spray 1 to 2 more times before they die.....It really works! took 3 weeks before I got rid of most. I still see them every now an then.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Thank you because I didn't know what the fly or the tree was called. I hate those trees and have been killing them all over my yard. They smell like peanut butter. If those flys are killing them, good!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-13-2021, 08:27 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
The trees are also called ghetto palms.

https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.co...-in-hedge.html

Old 08-13-2021, 08:42 AM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Kill them if they are seen. Apparently they are now in Morris County. Looking into potential traps for these things.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I spray them with the strongest round up as soon as they sprout. It seems to be working so far.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 PM

962 posts, read 540,837 times
Haven't seen them yet in Passaic County, but I bet it's a matter of time.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Info seeker View Post
Had my share of the dreaded spotted latern fly. Man they jump very fast, so stepping on them is hard. I researched and used Dawn dish detergent and water. (50/50 mix) in a spray bottle for my deck area. Spray them 1 time and they jump, you have to follow and spray 1 to 2 more times before they die.....It really works! took 3 weeks before I got rid of most. I still see them every now an then.
I've had great success with a fly swatter. They don't see you coming from below or behind. Know your enemy.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
The ailanthus tree is invasive also, so don't feel bad about killing them.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:12 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
We were invaded last year. We killed so many and have been trying to kill eggs and spray neem oil. They literally killed a tree in our yard. This year seems to be better for our yard (maybe due to all the work we did) but I've been seeing them all over in other places this year. I'm even seeing them in parking lots now.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey