Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
This kind of #'s is what pisses me off sometimes, how can we just be happy of paying such high property taxes? Why do we tolerate it?, enable it?, justify it? when some people as shanny stated earn LESS than that, how are we to look ourselves in the mirror and no go postal about it? I'm paying close to 11k as it is and w/ the new reassesment that was done if I take the same rate table I'll be paying close to 20k and I'm not very pleased, happy w/ this news. And then people wonder why NJ are fleeing, don't get me wrong I love Jersey as much as the next person, but is #'s like that and the rest of the politics as usual that discourage me.
This little story may relate to taxes in NJ...I recently had a few trees cut down in my back yard. The tree cutter gave me the price and then said "if you pay me in cash I won't charge you the tax, but if you pay by check I have to charge tax", which in this case will be about $100. Now, greed says to me...pay in CASH. But then I started thinking, if a million people in NJ did the same thing, that's one hundred million dollars that is NOT going into the coffers of the state, not to mention the tree cutter can get out of claiming the income on HIS tax return since he was paid in cash.

It certainly feels good to save money and 'beat the system' on a personal level, but are we cutting off our noses to spite our faces with this kind of sneaky stuff? Maybe all of our taxes would be lower if everyone played fair and honestly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Mine only drop by 20 once I moved closer to the border of PA
Thats because you didnt cross the bridge.....

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
Tahiti:

After reval did your tax rate and taxes go down (lol)?
Mine went up, but I know a lot of ppl whose went down over $4K/yr. Revenue didn't increase, just a redistribution.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sold the above - now living in Greenwich Twp., Warren Co. and paying 6400/yr for 2750 SF, 3 bdrm., 2.5 bath on 0.33 acres. (New Construction)
This tells me it's the land that's worth more, as opposed to the building. Most states go after the property value: Wiley's post suggests that the assessment of land in NJ is really significant. In this case, she's traded down on acreage, which has resulted in lowering of her taxes.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:50 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
Flipped a house near Richmond, Virginia a few years ago when the market was better. It was a newer 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2500 sq. ft, on a gorgeous 1.25 acre lot. Taxes were $850 a year! Also the house had gas heat, city sewer and water. The water bill was $30 a quarter, the sewer was $80 a year, and I never saw a monthly gas bill, even in winter, over $75. Electric bill was always under $50 a month.

Virginia does tax personal property and the state income tax was higher than here. But it amounts to pennies on the dollar compared to here. Due to my job, I had to stay here. My taxes here (in Hunterdon County) are over $8k, my electric bill can be $300 a month, and all of the utilities out here in the sticks are expensive.

I love Hunterdon County, but it is getting more and more tempting to move out of the state....

Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This little story may relate to taxes in NJ...I recently had a few trees cut down in my back yard. The tree cutter gave me the price and then said "if you pay me in cash I won't charge you the tax, but if you pay by check I have to charge tax", which in this case will be about $100. Now, greed says to me...pay in CASH. But then I started thinking, if a million people in NJ did the same thing, that's one hundred million dollars that is NOT going into the coffers of the state, not to mention the tree cutter can get out of claiming the income on HIS tax return since he was paid in cash.

It certainly feels good to save money and 'beat the system' on a personal level, but are we cutting off our noses to spite our faces with this kind of sneaky stuff? Maybe all of our taxes would be lower if everyone played fair and honestly?
The 999,999 other people paid cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey