Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 09:52 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,754,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well wasn't the lifeguard post metal?
The article says the post was made of aluminum. Makes me wonder. I have driven in thunderstorms. If my car gets struck what happens?

Water is a conductor too. When lightning strikes the ocean, will it kill nearby fish, and any swimmers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 11:22 PM

11,987 posts, read 7,752,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The article says the post was made of aluminum. Makes me wonder. I have driven in thunderstorms. If my car gets struck what happens?

Water is a conductor too. When lightning strikes the ocean, will it kill nearby fish, and any swimmers?
Youd think it would be polished wood like most places that even have lifeguards. (Nj really does have a thing with lifeguards…)

But with cars. The density of cars is so high usually that its so much less likely to be hit over another car. Especially a sedan.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:36 AM

331 posts, read 515,984 times
Quote:

Metal is a much better conductor than humans. The lightning will stay on the outside of your car and exit to the ground. Same reason why plans get hit by lightning all the time and are generally fine. If you ever go to a science museum they often have a Faraday cage show, where someone sits in a big metal cage and the cage gets zapped with electricity.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Metal is a much better conductor than humans. The lightning will stay on the outside of your car and exit to the ground. Same reason why plans get hit by lightning all the time and are generally fine. If you ever go to a science museum they often have a Faraday cage show, where someone sits in a big metal cage and the cage gets zapped with electricity.
What about ocean then? Or if riding a jetski?

Old 09-02-2021, 12:08 PM

50,175 posts, read 35,836,157 times
Quote:

Yes, it does. Pools too.

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/200...boys-to-drown/

Old 09-02-2021, 12:17 PM

331 posts, read 515,984 times
Quote:
Jetski, very bad idea.
If you are in the ocean the safest place is as submerged as possible as the electricity will dissipate through the water. Seems like the estimate is about 20 feet away from a strike is far enough to not be seriously injured.
Lightning "looks" for the highest object and the best conductors.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:53 PM

22,904 posts, read 18,207,688 times
Quote:
You definitely don't want to be on (riding a jetski, on an open boat, waterskiing, surfing, etc) or in the water during a thunderstorm, except as already mentioned, totally submerged to depth! If you are wet or touching wet objects you're at risk. Again, water itself doesn't attract lightning any more than metals do but it certainly does conduct it.

Old 09-02-2021, 01:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 534,848 times
It was reported on one of the TV news shows that the lifeguards there requested the metal chairs a few years ago because they are lighter and easier to move around.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Misremembered. It was not TV, it was this article: https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2357926150559/hundreds-gather-for-candlelight-vigil-honoring-lifeguard-killed-by-lightning..."Pinto was sitting on an aluminum lifeguard stand. Township officials say that the lifeguards previously requested these stands because they are lightweight. But there is now concern that the metal stands conducted the lightning. Berkeley Township officials did not comment on this claim."

Last edited by Dehumidifier; 09-02-2021 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Jetski, very bad idea.
If you are in the ocean the safest place is as submerged as possible as the electricity will dissipate through the water. Seems like the estimate is about 20 feet away from a strike is far enough to not be seriously injured.
Lightning "looks" for the highest object and the best conductors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You definitely don't want to be on (riding a jetski, on an open boat, waterskiing, surfing, etc) or in the water during a thunderstorm, except as already mentioned, totally submerged to depth! If you are wet or touching wet objects you're at risk. Again, water itself doesn't attract lightning any more than metals do but it certainly does conduct it.
Wait so then do fish or even whales die if near the lightning strike? Those critters have no where to hide.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:24 PM

50,175 posts, read 35,836,157 times
Quote:
Wait so then do fish or even whales die if near the lightning strike? Those critters have no where to hide.
I just Googled it, and per the National Weather Service it said most lightning strikes create a charge near the water's surface, while fish are well below the surface and so usually unaffected. I suppose if a whale were half in the water or close to the surface it might die. They aren't sure exactly how deep it goes, but generally conducts on the top of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: