U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 62,386 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are buying a townhome in Robbinsville in Washington Town Center. One of the options is Dual Zone HVAC. It is a $1300 option. This is not true dual zone it is a damper system. I have been getting mixed opinions regarding the usefullness of this type of system. The person we are dealing with at the builder lives in the development and loves her dual zone.

Is this system really worth $1300? Will it save enough on the electric and gas bill to go for it?

Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,930,172 times
I think if you stay there a minimum of 5 years you might benefit from purchasing the system. No idea how big your townhouse is or if it has tons of dead space or high ceilings. People want these dramatic two story family rooms and high cathedral ceilings but all it really means is more space to heat and cool. You should make use of ceiling fans if you want to save on heating costs in winter.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM

76 posts, read 340,607 times
We have dual zone heating...and our heating bills are higher than when we had the single zone...however we put on an addition to warrant the dual zone so I am heating extra space...so it is hard to say.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM

The townhome is 1700 square feet and does not have a two floor open living room.

We are pretty sure we will be there at least 5 years. I figured if it cost $200 a month for gas and electric and if dual zone would save 10% a month off of that bill it would take 5.5 years to break even.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Can you add it afterwards and see how your heating costs run?

My heating bills alone are about $400 a month and electric are about $80-$120 depending on the season. Much higher in summer....Our home is 2300 sq ft.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBean View Post
Can you add it afterwards and see how your heating costs run?

My heating bills alone are about $400 a month and electric are about $80-$120 depending on the season. Much higher in summer....Our home is 2300 sq ft.

I do not think you can add it afterwards since it would be a difference HVAC system totally.

That is a pretty high heating bill. I honestly hope we don't have a bill even close to that. The AC bill in the summer is great for 2300 sq. ft.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunis1 View Post
I do not think you can add it afterwards since it would be a difference HVAC system totally.

That is a pretty high heating bill. I honestly hope we don't have a bill even close to that. The AC bill in the summer is great for 2300 sq. ft.

Sorry I worded that wrong....summer cooling costs are up near $250. I meant $80-$120 for electric in general for the rest of the year...sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 PM

61 posts, read 381,712 times
Default Do it!

It is a small cost compared to the home and will insure comfortable tempatures in all parts of the home during all seasons. I made the mistake of cheaping out in my new home 10 years ago and later added a second unit for AC/Heat in the attic. It was one of the best upgrades I did to the home and our utility consumption was lower since we only heat or cool the section of the house we're in. Prior we needed to cool or heat the whole house to remain comfortable in the room we occupied. This upgrade also adds value to the home.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 32,795,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSaw View Post
It is a small cost compared to the home and will insure comfortable tempatures in all parts of the home during all seasons. I made the mistake of cheaping out in my new home 10 years ago and later added a second unit for AC/Heat in the attic. It was one of the best upgrades I did to the home and our utility consumption was lower since we only heat or cool the section of the house we're in. Prior we needed to cool or heat the whole house to remain comfortable in the room we occupied. This upgrade also adds value to the home.
I agree. We had dual zone put in when our house was built, and it makes a huge difference, mostly in summer. My neighbors with single zone cannot get their upstairs to cool properly - ours is fine.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSaw View Post

You purchased another unit. This dual zone is really zone heating/AC with one unit and a damper system so it would not work like two units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or