Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 03:03 PM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Lists like this are almost always exclusively resort towns... well duh... It is a resort town. It wouldn't be one if it wasn't beautiful. A lot of the homes are rentals and thus maintained like a business.

Show me a non-resort town that somehow manages to maintain itself with beauty.... a testament to the community itself rather than generation of revenue.

For every resort town, there are low income area that serves it... areas that aren't pretty by any margin. Of course the general public ignores that.
Cape May proper is most well known for the Victorian Homes, very few if any of them are rentals. There are very extreme zoning restrictions in Cape May for the historic homes, which keep it beautiful (unlike Ocean City, which has a hodgepodge of different architectural styles, sizes and periods right on the same blocks because anyone with money can get around the zoning laws). if you own one of the Victorians, you can't even get a new doorknob without getting approval first to make sure it is Victorian, and they have to approve at least exterior paint colors, roof tile colors, etc. It is very unique among shore towns because it is kept so historically accurate (it is America's first seaside resort). They get tourists that don't necessarily even like the beach, and they get them year round (Christmas is gorgeous there, and of course very old-fashioned).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, definitely more whale-watching in Cape May than Long Branch. I just remember that happening last year, a day or so after I was at the beach and missed it!

Also major bird-watching in Cape May.
I forgot about that! They have a multi-day extravaganza of bird-watching every year, aside from the regular visitors who bird watch. They also have a midnight to midnight bird watching contest put on by the NJ Audubon Society called the World Series of Birding, where you have to check off as many birds as possible in a 24 hour period. I'm weird, but that sounds fun to me!

On the Dolphin watch tours, they also show you WWII bunkers and tell you where the German subs were sitting off the coast. It was very interesting!

Not to mention gorgeous sunsets, as the southernmost point in NJ. My niece for married on the beach there at sunset late July, and the sky over the water was just beautiful!

Old 09-23-2021, 04:16 PM

668 posts, read 465,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Cape May proper is most well known for the Victorian Homes, very few if any of them are rentals. There are very extreme zoning restrictions in Cape May for the historic homes, which keep it beautiful (unlike Ocean City, which has a hodgepodge of different architectural styles, sizes and periods right on the same blocks because anyone with money can get around the zoning laws). if you own one of the Victorians, you can't even get a new doorknob without getting approval first to make sure it is Victorian, and they have to approve at least exterior paint colors, roof tile colors, etc. It is very unique among shore towns because it is kept so historically accurate (it is America's first seaside resort). They get tourists that don't necessarily even like the beach, and they get them year round (Christmas is gorgeous there, and of course very old-fashioned).

Good point. It's a beautiful town even if you are not a beach fan. I love it, and there is no where prettier at Christmas in this state in my opinion.....

Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 PM

9,765 posts, read 15,717,146 times
My favorite! Been going there for vacation every summer since the early 1980s! Back then Cape May was a beach town for mostly Philadelphians/South Jerseyans. It was not known on the national stage - not much with New Yorkers either. Also, it was a summer place plus maybe Christmas. I'm guessing it became more year-round and more well known in the mid- to late-90s. More trolley tours, mystery weekends, they fixed up the lighthouse, etc. Wish I had bought some real estate! Funnily enough, I am wearing a Cape May t-shirt right now.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:35 PM

10,118 posts, read 6,673,883 times
I mean Cape May does have its own song and its a bop.

https://youtu.be/T7io4Wxxnjc

Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 AM

32,805 posts, read 36,071,454 times
It's Monarch migration time!

https://fallforthejerseycape.com/bes...TSmonarch.html

Old 09-24-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I mean Cape May does have its own song and its a bop.

https://youtu.be/T7io4Wxxnjc
That song is not really about Cape May, it is about the journey throughout the Jersey shore. Every New Jersey shore town on the way to Cape May it is in the song. The writer chose Cape May so they can mention all the towns on the way to Cape May because that’s the last one. It’s a tribute to the south jersey shore in general. It’s generally played on south Jersey oldies radio stations at the shore around Memorial Day. It is a good song!

“The lyrics are about a love story and journey which begins with the intro mentioning Ocean City. Traveling southward, the lyrics then continue with mentions of Sea Isle City; Avalon; Stone Harbor; Wildwood coming into view and talks of marriage around the town of Cape May Court House. The words never actually say anything about the town of Cape May. And though that town is the target destination, it's more about a journey through Cape May County.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Way_to_Cape_May

Old 09-24-2021, 11:51 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,529,521 times
If you have ever seen the Boardwalk and Homes in Ocean Grove they are pretty nice a few
Cape May Type" homes there.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:09 PM

10,118 posts, read 6,673,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yeah Murphy is planning to put 100+ windmills off the coast of Cape May in the largest windmill project in the country (possibly world). The other phase of the proposed project will go from Atlantic City up through LBI. Each of these windmills about 3/4 the size of Empire State building . Each one of these windmills will kill these birds which is too bad.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 AM

12,011 posts, read 7,785,429 times
Unpopular Opinion: i dont think Cape May is the nicest town on the Jersey Shore. Its like knock off Edgartown.

I think there are countless other great shore towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey