Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 08:53 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 02:15 PM

1,142 posts, read 856,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Shoprites arent created equal. Many are franchised so depends how much the owner invests into the store and manages it.

I go the one in Greater Morristown but the prices on most everything are up the board from my experience.
Correct. The Shoprite in Union Twp. is ridiculously overpriced. It is even hard to find ham and cheese at the deli less than $7.99/lb. However, the Shoprite in Elizabeth always has plenty of sales. Last week we stocked up on Ajax laundry detergent for $1/bottle. I don't understand how some Supermarkets even stay in business when there are much cheaper options in the next town over.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:24 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Well weed is still illegal in NJ so scratch that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
False.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Oh you think it’s legal? Where can you buy it then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

Massachusetts
Massachusetts....

Massachusetts....

Old 10-24-2021, 02:31 PM

1,142 posts, read 856,433 times
The media has definitely over exaggerated the supply shortage problem. Just got back from Shoprite and the shelves are almost over-stocked. They had Scott TP on sale, and they had several packs even on the endcaps. A couple weeks ago, I did notice a slight shortage of cereals, but not anymore. However, both the Dollar Tree and Dollar General near me did have several empty shelves, especially in the frozen section. It seems to depend on the type of store and where they get their stockpiles from. It does confuse me why Shoprite seems to get truck deliveries on a reg basis yet Dollar Tree has shortage of truck drivers. I think it may be some companies just don't pay their drivers as fairly as others. Yet, I can still find everything I need and do not see this as much of a concern the media makes it seem.

Another interesting point. I was in FL last week and their local news was saying that their Gov was inviting suppliers to use their EMPTY ports.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:00 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
The media has definitely over exaggerated the supply shortage problem.
The major shortages are on the West Coast, because the ports there are both busier and more constrained by regulations.

Quote:
Just got back from Shoprite and the shelves are almost over-stocked. They had Scott TP on sale, and they had several packs even on the endcaps.
TP is mostly not imported from overseas; Most of it used here is made here; some from Canada and Mexico. We do get 30% of TP imports from China but I suspect that's the super nasty scratchy stuff for institutional use, so wouldn't affect Shoprite.

Quote:
A couple weeks ago, I did notice a slight shortage of cereals, but not anymore.
Cereals are also mostly not imported from overseas; any shortage was probably either a transient local issue or due to the trucking shortage (which isn't as bad as the west coast port issues)

Quote:
Another interesting point. I was in FL last week and their local news was saying that their Gov was inviting suppliers to use their EMPTY ports.
Yeah, Texas too. But a lot of the ships can't make it through the Panama Canal, so that isn't always an option.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:57 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Apparently we are expected to see shortages of canned goods, meat and poultry. There is going to be a Turkey shortage (of large birds) for Thanksgiving.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:07 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
The media has definitely over exaggerated the supply shortage problem. Just got back from Shoprite and the shelves are almost over-stocked. They had Scott TP on sale, and they had several packs even on the endcaps. A couple weeks ago, I did notice a slight shortage of cereals, but not anymore. However, both the Dollar Tree and Dollar General near me did have several empty shelves, especially in the frozen section. It seems to depend on the type of store and where they get their stockpiles from. It does confuse me why Shoprite seems to get truck deliveries on a reg basis yet Dollar Tree has shortage of truck drivers. I think it may be some companies just don't pay their drivers as fairly as others. Yet, I can still find everything I need and do not see this as much of a concern the media makes it seem.

The shortages show up more in individual items than empty shelves. For instance I haven't been able to get my cat's prescribed low calorie treats since June, and the company's website says it is because they can't get the supplies they need to make all their pet foods. In the nursing home, there has been a shortage of the tall Styrofoam cups they use to give the residents water every day. There are several other things I buy that are hard to find now.

From the pet food website that makes my cat's treats:

"Despite our best efforts to supply enough of our diets to meet the increased demand, we recognize that we are not meeting your expectations, nor ours.
Our entire team is committed to getting your cats and dogs the tailored nutrition they deserve. In the meantime, we will be prioritizing the diets we believe are most critical to the health and wellbeing of pets for the time being. Because of that, you may experience difficulty purchasing certain products in the coming months. To better serve you while our team works to resolve the supply challenges, we have expanded our customer care service operations"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey