Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 46,756 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I've seen home price in Columbus NJ (near route 68) that are just too expensive! Can anyone tell me why? Radius of 5 miles, has no supermarket, mall, bank, hospital or even public transport. It's in middle of no where! But why does it cost that much...i'm talking about $500k to $700k! Can anyone elaborate on why?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 06:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,750,597 times
Well…how nice are the houses?

Old 11-02-2021, 09:33 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Property size? It's a rather quiet area. Some are willing to pay a lot of money for that. I would if I could.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:32 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Did not know we had a Columbus. I knew only of Columbia, NJ.

Opposite ends of the state.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:51 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Its easy access up the turnpike. Its probably the most northern town id consider "South Jersey" on the Turnpike so its easily commutable to central, NJ and also doable to Philadelphia and New York.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:16 AM

480 posts, read 480,178 times
In New Jersey, unlike a lot of the rest of the country, we pay a premium to live in rural (by NJ standards), isolated areas. Columbus, which is actually not a municipality, just a place name within Mansfield Township, Burlington County, not to be confused with Mansfield Township Warren County, is a fairly rural, bucolic area with recently built subdivisions of McMansion type homes. The Mansfield Township schools are fairly well regarded as is the Northern Burlington High School District which draws from Chesterfield, North Hanover and Springfield which have all experienced a lot of high-end development over the last 20-30 years. I grew up not far from there and my ancestors farmed that area for many years. Part of my grandmother's farm was taken to build I-295 and it can be seen on the east side of the roadway south of Rising Sun Road. It's a beautiful area, but too flat for me so I ended up in the hills of Hunterdon County. I'm fairly fortunate in that I really have no neighbors, live on a private lane and cannot really see another house from my property but I am only minutes from I-78, Route 31 and the Washington Shop-Rite.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:33 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
In New Jersey, unlike a lot of the rest of the country, we pay a premium to live in rural (by NJ standards), isolated areas. Columbus, which is actually not a municipality, just a place name within Mansfield Township, Burlington County, not to be confused with Mansfield Township Warren County, is a fairly rural, bucolic area with recently built subdivisions of McMansion type homes. The Mansfield Township schools are fairly well regarded as is the Northern Burlington High School District which draws from Chesterfield, North Hanover and Springfield which have all experienced a lot of high-end development over the last 20-30 years. I grew up not far from there and my ancestors farmed that area for many years. Part of my grandmother's farm was taken to build I-295 and it can be seen on the east side of the roadway south of Rising Sun Road. It's a beautiful area, but too flat for me so I ended up in the hills of Hunterdon County. I'm fairly fortunate in that I really have no neighbors, live on a private lane and cannot really see another house from my property but I am only minutes from I-78, Route 31 and the Washington Shop-Rite.
Columbus used to be all farmland and was a huge scrap yard for WWII (before my time) down rt. 206 that eventually had to cleaned up by the Government. It's always given me the eerie feeling between the sleazy truck stop motels, the rest stops, the flea market, and car auctions. As the poster above stated its very flat land, no frills and assuming developers buy up farm land and subdivide it into McMansions where you can choose between 4 style homes between 2000-2,400 sq. ft home. If you don't have to commute up north I'd personally look deep into Burlington Co. as its more affordable and a lot nicer. I'd assume you're partially competing with NYC suburban salaries still in Columbus.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:56 AM

480 posts, read 480,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Columbus used to be all farmland and was a huge scrap yard for WWII (before my time) down rt. 206 that eventually had to cleaned up by the Government. It's always given me the eerie feeling between the sleazy truck stop motels, the rest stops, the flea market, and car auctions. As the poster above stated its very flat land, no frills and assuming developers buy up farm land and subdivide it into McMansions where you can choose between 4 style homes between 2000-2,400 sq. ft home. If you don't have to commute up north I'd personally look deep into Burlington Co. as its more affordable and a lot nicer. I'd assume you're partially competing with NYC suburban salaries still in Columbus.
The scrapyard you're referring to was a private individual who accumulated a lot of military surplus items from nearby Fort Dix. He eventually became very opposed to the Vietnam War and posted all kinds of signs on his property and built himself a teepee of sorts that he was living in, but yes, eventually I think he lost the property to tax foreclosure and it was cleaned up by the Township.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/19902

You're correct that that area along Routes 130 and 206 are not all that attractive but just off of the highways are quite nice.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:44 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
The scrapyard you're referring to was a private individual who accumulated a lot of military surplus items from nearby Fort Dix. He eventually became very opposed to the Vietnam War and posted all kinds of signs on his property and built himself a teepee of sorts that he was living in, but yes, eventually I think he lost the property to tax foreclosure and it was cleaned up by the Township.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/19902

You're correct that that area along Routes 130 and 206 are not all that attractive but just off of the highways are quite nice.
I have a photo of that and a few of the other signs.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:44 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwxj61b View Post
Hi!
I've seen home price in Columbus NJ (near route 68) that are just too expensive! Can anyone tell me why? Radius of 5 miles, has no supermarket, mall, bank, hospital or even public transport. It's in middle of no where! But why does it cost that much...i'm talking about $500k to $700k! Can anyone elaborate on why?
Thanks!

large houses, large lots, not too far from 206, turnpike, 295, etc.... So appears to be in the middle of nowhere (literally surrounded by farm land) but not as far away from civilization as one would think....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey