Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM

17 posts, read 159,247 times

Advertisements

A house we are considering buying in NJ is generally in great condition (will need to re-decorate from top-to-bottom, but there are no things that are pressing and need immediate attention). One thing on the doesn't-need-immediate-attention list (but that I'd still like to look nice until we can save up to do a full remodel) is the bathroom. It's out-dated and just plain ugly!

I was considering looking into Bath Fitters/Tub Liners - anyone ever had this done to their bathroom and what was your experience/cost? Any place in NJ that you could recommend to do the job (We would be moving to morris co)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
My neighbor just got an estimate from them and it was $8000. Unreal! I wouldn't install one. If there's a plumbing issue, then either the wall on the other side of the pipes, or the wall of the unit, will have to be broken into to in order to make repairs.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:54 PM

138 posts, read 509,667 times
They look cheap and quite tacky. Just my opinion. Maybe my tastes run too expensive.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:32 PM

17 posts, read 159,247 times
My tastes run pretty expensive too and they're not my ideal solution but it's either a slightly-tacky bathroom for a few years or circa 1973. So, it's a toss up.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
If you're going with a temporary solution, why buy that? From brookdaleresident's comment, they seem to be a bit expensive. You'd be better off grabbing a cheapie from home depot, and throwing it up yourself - its not hard. On one wall, where your showerhead is at, I'd recommend making an access panel to get to the piping.

They did this in my house before I bought it. One warning - these POS's crack. Its why I'm working in my bathroom now instead of painting my house. Now, these are hairline cracks, but you obviously don't want water getting in there (mildew, mold). So make sure they are installed correctly, and given the proper room to flex a bit, as this is likely why mine has cracks. It should last a few years until you redo your bathroom.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I forgot to mention, this was for a stall shower, no tub, small bathroom. Depending on the bathroom, you can do a minor makeover. In one of ours, we changed the toilet and put in a new vanity, new light fixture and wall paper and it looked nice.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
If you're going with a temporary solution, why buy that? From brookdaleresident's comment, they seem to be a bit expensive. You'd be better off grabbing a cheapie from home depot, and throwing it up yourself - its not hard.
While this might be a great idea for do it yourself types, remember there are many who can only write a check. I would suggest for a temporary fix to get a pro and explain it is only temporary and a budget qualty shower will be good enough.

E

Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM

526 posts, read 1,391,366 times
Unless you can get it done cheep, don't do it. it is a very temporary fix for a problem you likely would be better off living with until you can do the bathroom right. Don't waist your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey