Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 11:01 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What???? You think the government has been lying to us about how the turnpike is funded since 1949? For what purpose? And no elected official on either side has said anything? There’s been a 70+ year conspiracy among all elected officials to conceal how two public roads are paid for??
Yup!
Both parties have lied to us for many decades about a "fact" that only he seems to be aware of.

That's his story, and he's sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 05:29 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Right and you also believe the Gov't because they always talk the truth?
It is usually specifically written into the by-laws and charters of these types of agencies that they can't use tax revenue. They need to sell bonds, and bond buyers aren't going to invest money without looking at the agency's finances. If they see something unsavory going on, they'll invest elsewhere.

Sometimes I think some of you think a Governor can just pick up the phone and make a call and every lawyer and finance person and staff member in a given agency or department will obey. It doesn't work that way in real life even if it does in the movies and on TV.

The only time I can think of where this situation came close is when Christie took the $3 billion the PA had given NJ for the ARC and used it to do the work on the Pulaski, claiming the Skyway was considered an access road to the Lincoln Tunnel and therefore it was appropriate to use the money.

Lawyers tried to tell him he was pushing it, but other lawyers went along with it, and they pushed it through. After Christie was out and the whole Bridgegate stuff happened, there was an investigation into how that use of PA money was OK'd, and in the end the PA was fined $400,000 by the SEC.

The Pulaski was in seriously dangerous condition and now has been repaired and no one is really complaining about that. But it was so obvious that this was a probably-illegal use of PA funds that when it came time to put the transfer of funds into the PA's financial system, the management-level guy who was tasked with setting the expenditure up in the system refused because he didn't want his name remotely attached to anything to do with it.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ts-fund/79042/

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-03-2022 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Missing zero

Old 01-02-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
what???? You think the government has been lying to us about how the turnpike is funded since 1949? For what purpose? And no elected official on either side has said anything? There’s been a 70+ year conspiracy among all elected officials to conceal how two public roads are paid for??
lol.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:39 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
I think he did it to prevent more property taxes going up again but mine did anyway. Also just a thought he may have found out a lot of people out of NJ came to NJ to buy food when their shelves in other states were empty during the first Covid-19 break out. I dare guess he though want to come to my/our State and buy our food then pay to come in here. Just my guess only because I noticed all the NY, Penn plates on the road during that time.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I think he did it to prevent more property taxes going up again but mine did anyway. Also just a thought he may have found out a lot of people out of NJ came to NJ to buy food when their shelves in other states were empty during the first Covid-19 break out. I dare guess he though want to come to my/our State and buy our food then pay to come in here. Just my guess only because I noticed all the NY, Penn plates on the road during that time.

You think who did what to prevent property taxes from going up? What in the wide world of sports do property taxes have to do with Turnpike and Parkway tolls?

I think you wandered onto the wrong movie set.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:15 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
What???? You think the government has been lying to us about how the turnpike is funded since 1949? For what purpose? And no elected official on either side has said anything? There’s been a 70+ year conspiracy among all elected officials to conceal how two public roads are paid for??
Damn right!

Corruption at it's finest.

https://abc13.com/archive/7735473/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08...tics-and-more/

Don't you understand...In general, if the Dems are crying taxes are to high and the Repubs are crying taxes are to high, then why do we have high taxes.

Both parties have been playing us for years.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:20 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Damn right!

Corruption at it's finest.

https://abc13.com/archive/7735473/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/08...tics-and-more/

Don't you understand...In general, if the Dems are crying taxes are to high and the Repubs are crying taxes are to high, then why do we have high taxes.

Both parties have been playing us for years.
Both of those old articles are interesting, but they say nada regarding your belief that NJ toll roads are funded with money from the gasoline tax. When you find a credible article that backs your belief, please post a link. However, I am not going to hold my breath until you can do so.

Last edited by Retriever; 01-03-2022 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 09:59 AM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Lawyers tried to tell him he was pushing it, but other lawyers went along with it, and they pushed it through. After Christie was out and the whole Bridgegate stuff happened, there was an investigation into how that use of PA money was OK'd, and in the end the PA was fined $400,000 by the SEC.

The Pulaski was in seriously dangerous condition and now has been repaired and no one is really complaining about that. But it was so obvious that this was a probably-illegal use of PA funds that when it came time to put the transfer of funds into the PA's financial system, the management-level guy who was tasked with setting the expenditure up in the system refused because he didn't want his name remotely attached to anything to do with it.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ts-fund/79042/
I can speak to that, as an attorney.

Courts do not like to get involved with "political questions", i.e. questions that they consider to be best left to the elected branches of government. This is to some extent a way to allow courts to dodge "hot topics." For example, during the Vietnam War era, despite to overall liberal cast of the Court before Abe Fortas resigned and Warren Burger et. al. were appointed, the Supreme Court and lower courts declined the invitation to find the draft of soldiers or U.S. participation in the war unconstitutional. In a different setting, the Supreme Court, in Zivotofsky ex rel. Zivotofsky v. Clinton, 566 U.S. 189, 195, 132 S. Ct. 1421, 1427, 182 L. Ed. 2d 423 (2012) stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court
We have explained that a controversy “involves a political question ... where there is ‘a textually demonstrable constitutional commitment of the issue to a coordinate political department; or a lack of judicially discoverable and manageable standards for resolving it.’ ”
Zivotofsky ex rel. Zivotofsky v. Clinton, 566 U.S. 189, 195, 132 S. Ct. 1421, 1427, 182 L. Ed. 2d 423 (2012)
Courts don't like to involve themselves in these kinds of issues, including the improper use of moneys to rebuild the Pulaski Skyway.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-03-2022 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Missing a zero in my post, quoted.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:54 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Both of those old articles are interesting, but they say nada regarding your belief that NJ toll roads are funded with money from the gasoline tax. When you find a credible article that backs your belief, please post a link. However, I am not going to hold my breath until you can do so.
I'll be back, but glad to see the grammar police are still here.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:47 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
I'll be back, but glad to see the grammar police are still here.
You are confusing the grammar police with the fact checking police.
Bad grammar is more acceptable,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey