Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 AM

259 posts, read 925,504 times

Advertisements

I never had a credit card until I graduated from college. I remember seeing that repo show with Vinnie Pastore and I lived by the tag line of that show. "If you can't afford it, don't buy it!" And it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
If I am helping them pay for college and if they want to stay in college, then yes, they will have to listen. Im sure most kids starting out college still live at home, even when they finish college - still live at home...As long as they live under my roof, and im paying, I will be involved..If they dont wanna listen, they can live on own and deal..
Unfortunately, no matter where kids live, parents just don't have as much control over 18+ kids as they would like to think they do. It would be a good idea to educate them anyway. Even though you would like to think your college aged child isn't sleeping around, you sure wouldn't send them off to college without the "always use a condom" speech.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,795,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I cant afford HBO since im already maxed out. Will definately watch this one via the internet. Thanks..Will not let my kids get their own CC till after college.
I rented the movie from Netflix. I don't remember the name of it, but if you can get the name you can rent the dvd.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,713,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
These are 18-19 year old kids, most don't have a clue as to what they are getting themselves into
you know, this is where I really benefited from depression-era parents. learned to shop smart, shop sales, don't overextend yourself if at all possible, don't buy it if you can't buy it outright (housing excluded).

i did get a credit card when i was a senior in college with a whopping $500 credit limit. I got it to build credit and bought stupid little things and paid them off right away. The card quite frankly scared me, to be honest.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,713,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Unfortunately, no matter where kids live, parents just don't have as much control over 18+ kids as they would like to think they do. It would be a good idea to educate them anyway. Even though you would like to think your college aged child isn't sleeping around, you sure wouldn't send them off to college without the "always use a condom" speech.

exactly. i learned very early in my parenting years to never say "my kid will ALWAYS" or "my kid will NEVER"...

Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
My parents never gave us any of the so called speeches, drugs, sex, money. We just learned from example and common sense.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
My parents never gave us any of the so called speeches, drugs, sex, money. We just learned from example and common sense.
Well that's one of the problems today..too much restriction and decision making for kids by their parents. When they hit 18, it's a free for all! They will most likely do everything that their parents told them not to do. If I was 18 and had no money and someone handed me a credit card.... it sure would tempt me! Now that I am older and wiser, I would never spend what I don't have but these are "kids" not adults... 18 today isn't the same 18 when we were younger.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,972,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
These are 18-19 year old kids, most don't have a clue as to what they are getting themselves into
it's time they grew up! if they are old enough to enter into a binding contract, they'd better be educated about them, ignorance is always a big problem and ignorance is never a good excuse

Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM

259 posts, read 925,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
18 today isn't the same 18 when we were younger.
Absolutely true. Just like people got married at 21 back in the day and now they wait until their 30's.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,972,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Absolutely true. Just like people got married at 21 back in the day and now they wait until their 30's.
we've failed to wean them, not bragging but I was well on my way to making it in the world by 22, own my own at 18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: