Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 09:41 PM

351 posts, read 271,349 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am asking for a close relative of mine as I am helping with their search. Does anyone have any thoughts, information, or input on Union Beach? I have noticed in recent years the town has been built up quite a bit with a lot of expensive beautiful new construction homes being built in the town and real estate values have gone up substantially. So I am wondering does this town still have a bad rep like it use to? Are there still a lot of drugs in this town? Are any young white collar professionals moving here? I noticed over summer it gets a lot of riff raff mostly people with NY plates who come to the bay beach for the day, do you have to be cautious of these tourists/out of area visitors? Would a young professional be safe living here with their $90k car parked in the driveway? Is Union Beach still a lower end area even though half of the town is new construction and high real estate prices? Are the schools somewhat decent? I feel like some of the streets still have really junky houses and sometimes may see a few undesirable (not well put together looking) people walking around which makes me believe it's very mixed area. However, the NYC skyline view and the fact that the town is on the water really makes it worth considering. The town itself is centrally located and actually really nice being able to walk along the water with the NYC skyline view in the background without having to be in north Jersey (Hoboken, Weehawken, etc.) I'm just concerned about safety and issues with neighbors.
Are there any other towns in Monmouth County you would suggest instead? Someplace safe and desirable. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 07:30 AM

5,146 posts, read 3,756,477 times
What is the budget?

Old 01-01-2022, 10:01 AM

351 posts, read 271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
What is the budget?
Up to around $600k

Old 01-01-2022, 12:17 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
It's a lower end area year round, not because of day trippers. Have you looked into Atlantic Highlands? I don't know specifics about the demographics, but if I were moving here now it's one I would look into.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:31 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Hi all, I am asking for a close relative of mine as I am helping with their search. Does anyone have any thoughts, information, or input on Union Beach? I have noticed in recent years the town has been built up quite a bit with a lot of expensive beautiful new construction homes being built in the town and real estate values have gone up substantially. So I am wondering does this town still have a bad rep like it use to? Are there still a lot of drugs in this town? Are any young white collar professionals moving here? I noticed over summer it gets a lot of riff raff mostly people with NY plates who come to the bay beach for the day, do you have to be cautious of these tourists/out of area visitors? Would a young professional be safe living here with their $90k car parked in the driveway? Is Union Beach still a lower end area even though half of the town is new construction and high real estate prices? Are the schools somewhat decent? I feel like some of the streets still have really junky houses and sometimes may see a few undesirable (not well put together looking) people walking around which makes me believe it's very mixed area. However, the NYC skyline view and the fact that the town is on the water really makes it worth considering. The town itself is centrally located and actually really nice being able to walk along the water with the NYC skyline view in the background without having to be in north Jersey (Hoboken, Weehawken, etc.) I'm just concerned about safety and issues with neighbors.
Are there any other towns in Monmouth County you would suggest instead? Someplace safe and desirable. Thank you in advance.
There IS a lot of nice new construction in Union Beach. You've noticed this because many of the houses were washed away by Sandy in 2012.

Also the Army Corp of Engineers is/was building an artificial reef of some sort just off the shoreline of the bay to prevent the type of surge and flooding that happened in Sandy. I was there last year during COVID when the waterfront bar (forget the name) had an outdoor setup complete with temporary mobile restrooms. One of the guys working there said they didn't plan to rebuild a permanent structure until the ACE's work was completed.

Here's my thought. It seems to me that any waterfront town is going to become desirable sooner or later. Long Branch was a dump, and look at it now. Asbury Park was a dump, look at it now. Yes, they are ocean towns and Union Beach is a bay town, but like you pointed out, view of Manhattan and all. I think it would be a good bet to buy there.

You can always change a town, but you can't relocate a large body of water, and water is always going to be an attraction.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:20 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
We considered Union Beach, Keansburg and Keyport. Ultimately decided against them because of the schools. Though all 3 seem to be in the early stages of a renaissance, the timing remains off for us because of our daughter's age.

I really wanted to be closer to the water than we ended up, having grown up on the shore. We looked at nice homes in each of the 3 towns.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-07-2022, 09:37 AM

79 posts, read 53,303 times
This is a very family-oriented town. There is a very safe environment and it is an overall quiet area; there isn't much going on in this town, so it's a very peaceful and relaxing place to live.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:48 PM

1,142 posts, read 859,261 times
My sister and her family live there. They love it. Very safe, quiet town. They had to go through hell after Sandy getting their house raised, but now they really enjoy it. She has no issues with the schools either. It is a place where everyone knows each other.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:38 PM

356 posts, read 284,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Would a young professional be safe living here with their $90k car parked in the driveway?
safe? probably. although I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you might very well be the only person in union beach with a $90k car.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:40 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
I know it's been 10 years, but Sandy devastated Union Beach. https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2012/10/...ch_photos.html Just something to consider when picking a home there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey