Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 10:26 AM

56 posts, read 59,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
no comedy. Other towns like Alpine/Saddle River are out of budget. & Other towns aren't worth it from a property tax perspective (closter,cresskill, demarest, tenafly). some towns aren't worth it due to connectivity issues/limited appreciation (pascack valley)

you have some towns where the property tax is not only insane, but the housing stock is outdated garbage. for example ridgewood.

the end.

hence my beautiful list. If the OP were to pump her budget up to $2.5M I would add alpine/saddle river to the list.
So it all makes sense.
1.7 is our max, I am not kean on Alpine, Saddle River and Upper saddle river has homes on the market that we can afford.
You are absolutely right about Ridgewood....I can get a cardboard box for 1.5.
So originally our first choic was Westchester NY, we used to live there. The taxes in the good towns for a 1.5 house are around 40-5--60 k so fur us 20-30 k ain't too bad in terms of tax...

If the quality of the school systems are the same in between Bergen towns I would rather pay less tax in USR or SR or Ho ho kus rather than buy a very expensive house, there are homes fo 1.7 ish with very high taxes..and what value add does that give me over SR USR?

I am open to Montvale and Woodcliff too

Our biggest issue right now is that the homes our friends bought in 2020 for 980.000 are now 1.5 and we are stuck with this low inventory and high price market.

Thank you all

I was more trying to rule out towns, We ruled out Mahwah cuz its just too far from NY and schools seem a little chill we are used to high pressure my kids do well with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 11:05 AM

487 posts, read 363,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam Gal View Post
So it all makes sense.
1.7 is our max, I am not kean on Alpine, Saddle River and Upper saddle river has homes on the market that we can afford.
You are absolutely right about Ridgewood....I can get a cardboard box for 1.5.
So originally our first choic was Westchester NY, we used to live there. The taxes in the good towns for a 1.5 house are around 40-5--60 k so fur us 20-30 k ain't too bad in terms of tax...

If the quality of the school systems are the same in between Bergen towns I would rather pay less tax in USR or SR or Ho ho kus rather than buy a very expensive house, there are homes fo 1.7 ish with very high taxes..and what value add does that give me over SR USR?

I am open to Montvale and Woodcliff too

Our biggest issue right now is that the homes our friends bought in 2020 for 980.000 are now 1.5 and we are stuck with this low inventory and high price market.

Thank you all

I was more trying to rule out towns, We ruled out Mahwah cuz its just too far from NY and schools seem a little chill we are used to high pressure my kids do well with that.
Well based on the criteria you have I'd say Upper Saddle River

Property Saddle River may be only 1%, and USR may be around 2.4% but the schools in USR are high pressure/superior.

Both towns share the same high school (Northern Highlands), but kids in Saddle River have their own elementary school/use ramsey for middle school. USR has far superior elementary/middle school options.

Since homes in Saddle River are $500K more than USR, I'd say it would be difficult to find a quality home for less than <$2M in SR unless knockdown stage.

The taxes in Bergen County will be for sure less than Westchester.

Have you ruled out Paramus?
1. Excellent program for autism from what I remember
2. 3rd lowest property tax in the county (1.5M home will have roughly $20K or less in property tax)
3. Diverse. Excellent connectivity to anywhere including NYC.
4. Endless new construction. Beautiful homes sold almost every week for around $1.4M

The only con is schools arent that high pressure compared to Upper Saddle River!

This is one the best quality homes I've seen at a $1.65M price range anywhere in Bergen County. Located in Paramus btw!!

I doubt you can purchase it though.. Zillow is going crazy with 700 likes! But food for thought!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...37993034_zpid/

Old 01-07-2022, 12:22 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Alpine's property tax is 1%... a $2M assessed house would have property taxes around $20K. you just aren't following anything i'm saying. this is going nowhere.

I used an arbitrary number like $5M homes in Englewood to show you that your flawed logic doesn't work. Anyone with common sense would say that USR is wealthier than Demarest given that 80% of Demarest is normal middle class homes. 20% of 1 town can't make up for 90% in the other town.
Take a look at the MLS and what sells for 2M and what the taxes are.
You can read all you want but the truth is the houses worth 2 million have taxes around 8, maybe 10.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:54 PM

332 posts, read 521,580 times
Quote:

Property Saddle River may be only 1%, and USR may be around 2.4% but the schools in USR are high pressure/superior.

Both towns share the same high school (Northern Highlands), but kids in Saddle River have their own elementary school/use ramsey for middle school. USR has far superior elementary/middle school options.

Since homes in Saddle River are $500K more than USR, I'd say it would be difficult to find a quality home for less than <$2M in SR unless knockdown stage.

2. 3rd lowest property tax in the county (1.5M home will have roughly $20K or less in property tax)
4. Endless new construction. Beautiful homes sold almost every week for around $1.4M

The only con is schools arent that high pressure compared to Upper Saddle River!

This is one the best quality homes I've seen at a $1.65M price range anywhere in Bergen County. Located in Paramus btw!!

I doubt you can purchase it though.. Zillow is going crazy with 700 likes! But food for thought!

That is definitely one of the nicer houses I've seen in paramus though WHY THE HELL IS EVERYTHING GRAY NOW? Also I do not understand that master shower, with no enclosure you're gonna be freezing. Just remember that house in USR comes with 1-2 acres...not 1/4 acre on a corner.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Take a look at the MLS and what sells for 2M and what the taxes are.
You can read all you want but the truth is the houses worth 2 million have taxes around 8, maybe 10.
Again you still don't understand. It doesn't matter what sells for 2M. I'm talking about the assessed value.

I've never seen someone try this hard to deny basic math, and reality. What is 1% of 2M?

You clearly aren't reading, or understanding anything. Maybe you should. Do you know what a tax assessment is?

Furthermore nothing in Alpine sells for $2M unless its a tear down, or pure land LOL

Old 01-07-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
That is definitely one of the nicer houses I've seen in paramus though WHY THE HELL IS EVERYTHING GRAY NOW? Also I do not understand that master shower, with no enclosure you're gonna be freezing. Just remember that house in USR comes with 1-2 acres...not 1/4 acre on a corner.
It's clearly an amazing home given the likes, and zillow flat out saying the home will sell in days.

The funny thing is homes like these come onto the market every week in Paramus given the new construction that is not stopping.

Paramus used to be a town of $600K homes. it is now turning into a town of 6,000 sq feet& $1.4M on .25-.35 acres of land. I dont think the town even knows what to do with all the surplus tax revenue. They keep cutting taxes every year to decrease revenue

Yes I don't get the black/white/grey/dark wood/metallic look either but its still visually stunning! you won't freeze as bathrooms have radiant heat now as well.

Sure but the OP was focused on autism/schools/NYC connectivity/taxes/budget and Paramus is worth looking into.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:24 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
and you are not looking at a load of 60+year old splits and bi-levels. Buying a house that cost 2 to 3 times the other houses in the neighborhood is not the smartest real estate move, either.

FYI - those builders do not limit themselves to Paramus.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 PM

56 posts, read 59,192 times
Quote:

Thank you soo much !!
Yes I did look in to it and ruled it out for a list of reasons.

We love the high pressure schools, my daughters do very well in high pressure schools, it motivates them and they are academic super stars...in a chilled out school district they get complacent and lazy.

You know what really surprises me..people always talk about low taxes in saddle river and aloine but honestly saddle river is nowhere near as low in taxes and not hugely far off from upper saddle river.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:59 AM

332 posts, read 521,580 times
Quote:
Again you still don't understand. It doesn't matter what sells for 2M. I'm talking about the assessed value.

I've never seen someone try this hard to deny basic math, and reality. What is 1% of 2M?

You clearly aren't reading, or understanding anything. Maybe you should. Do you know what a tax assessment is?

Furthermore nothing in Alpine sells for $2M unless its a tear down, or pure land LOL
I don't understand why you are obsessed with assessment. People want to know if I spend X on a house what will the taxes be? Assessment is nearly irrelevant. Equalization ratios can be all over the place. My house is assessed under 1 and would sell for 1.5. Meanwhile some 15 year old houses that sold new for 3.5mm in 2006 and now would struggle to get 3 are assessed over 3 (but will certainly get lowered either on appeal or after sale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey