Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 07:33 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I never did either. I think it is overrated. You can't really get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time from there because it gets too much traffic it isn't built for.

You have to keep in mind the vast majority of people there, let alone posting in this thread, are transplants from NYC - particularly Staten Island - and have never known anything else. The one thing they all have in common is this is their first time moving to the suburbs in NJ after living for generations in shacks in NYC. Getting an acre+ McMansion for the same price as their shack on Staten Island certainly inflates their perception of the place. In nature they are mostly from a low socioeconomic or working class background/upbringing and only for the first time in their family history are they beginning to make an at least decent living, even if it means both parents working full time. For that reason, the culture there is very superficial and fake, and very keeping up with the joneses, something I can only describe as "glorified white trash" as there is a difference between classy upscale and trashy flash. While Monmouth County does have some truly affluent shore towns, the vast majority of it is much more the latter.

I'm pretty sure most people in other parts of NJ, NY and the rest of the world couldn't care less about Monmouth County.
What a crock. Lol. Did you not think anyone would read this?

Look at the list of posters on this thread. I see maybe two who are NYC transplants. Not all of us in NJ came here by way of the city; although, I'm sure my Dutch and English ancestors had to stop at Castle Clinton and Ellis Island before they could get to Bergen County, their destination.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-09-2022 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 07:50 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
It is. Sure Colts Neck and Holmdel have homes upwards of $1M but they're probably worth 1/2 of what they would be worth if they were in Bergen County, or Westchester County, NY.
Not being mean, you are truly ignorant of the subject.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:56 PM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
I've never understood the appeal of Monmouth County... you are in the middle of nowhere.

you can not get to either NYC/Philadelphia in a reasonable amount of time.

Sure the land is cheap, and the homes are large. Sure its conservative, and less diverse (for those who seek both)... but logically makes zero sense.
This post is extremely ridiculous. You clearly lack knowledge of the area. Monmouth County is centrally located and offers an abundance of shopping, restaurants, nightlife, scenic parks, beautiful beaches, easy access to Garden State Parkway and a close enough proximity to NYC. Many residents actually commute into the city every day for work via ferry or train with no issues.

Monmouth County is a breath of fresh air for someone who is originally from north Jersey. The houses in Monmouth County are sprawling, spread out, and not right on top of each other and you actually have privacy here. Monmouth County land actually isn't "cheap" and it's a very desirable place to live. However I can list several towns in Bergan County in my opinion that are dirt cheap and affordable as it's not as desirable think Dumont, Garfield, Maywood, Bogota, Ridgefield Park, New Milford, Little Ferry etc. all yucky congested towns that even if you paid me I would never live there. At the end of the day everyone has their own perspective on different areas and to each their own.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:04 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
This post is extremely ridiculous. You clearly lack knowledge of the area. Monmouth County is centrally located and offers an abundance of shopping, restaurants, nightlife, scenic parks, beautiful beaches, easy access to Garden State Parkway and a close enough proximity to NYC. Many residents actually commute into the city every day for work via ferry or train with no issues.
It's not centrally located. Just because it's the northenmost county on the Jersey Shore, thus putting it as the crow flies - STRICTLY as the crow flies - the closest county on the Jersey Shore in proximity to NYC does not make it centrally located, not with its vastly inferior road infrastructure and limited amenities. The Parkway - VERY slow at best and it interchanges turn into parking lots - only serves one portion of the county that does not include Colts Neck (no apostrophe in the name) or its similarly desolate characterless neighbors in the western part of the county that is the part that is always hyped up. What ferry are you referring to? I know the ones in NJ cost a fortune. And the only active train line there is the NJCL that runs along the shore. Every place I have ever lived has had abundance of shopping, restaurants, nightlife and scenic parks, including where I currently live. There's beautiful beaches in three other NJ counties and a wonderful private one I go to out on Long Island that I don't have to pay to use and can bring there whatever I want, including beer. And I don't have to leave my house in the middle of the night to get a decent parking space there either.

Quote:
Monmouth County is a breath of fresh air for someone who is originally from north Jersey. The houses in Monmouth County are sprawling, spread out, and not right on top of each other and you actually have privacy here. Monmouth County land actually isn't "cheap" and it's a very desirable place to live. However I can list several towns in Bergan County in my opinion that are dirt cheap and affordable as it's not as desirable think Dumont, Garfield, Maywood, Bogota, Ridgefield Park, New Milford, Little Ferry etc. all yucky congested towns that even if you paid me I would never live there. At the end of the day everyone has their own perspective on different areas and to each their own.
Breath of fresh air? Not really. Moving out of NJ altogether was a breath of fresh air for me, and it was finally when thing began to go right for me. Sure, privacy and isolation. It is not civil and doesn't really create the atmosphere of feeling at home where neighbors don't know each other. I live in a place whe neighbors look out for each other. Nowhere is cheap these days, but it is still cheaper than Bergen. And yes I agree Bergen has some very ugly areas that are overcrowded, that I would never want to live in either.

The hoity-toity attitude in that whole area is apparent from this post, touting it on superlatives of things that you can find pretty much anywhere else. I would never call it the best of anything.

And FYI, the deep dark secret about Colts Neck is the fact that the schools are not good. 40% of the HS graduates DO NOT continue education beyond graduation. I knew someone who lived there, well over their means, moving there for a noble reason yet was always broke, their daugher went to school there and became a bad kid. Not sure how many residents there send their children to private school. Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi moved there after their kids were grown.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 04-20-2022 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2022, 11:32 AM

214 posts, read 350,586 times
Quote:
It's not centrally located. Just because it's the northenmost county on the Jersey Shore, thus putting it as the crow flies - STRICTLY as the crow flies - the closest county on the Jersey Shore in proximity to NYC does not make it centrally located, not with its vastly inferior road infrastructure and limited amenities. The Parkway - VERY slow at best and it interchanges turn into parking lots - only serves one portion of the county that does not include Colts Neck (no apostrophe in the name) or its similarly desolate characterless neighbors in the western part of the county that is the part that is always hyped up. What ferry are you referring to? I know the ones in NJ cost a fortune. And the only active train line there is the NJCL that runs along the shore. Every place I have ever lived has had abundance of shopping, restaurants, nightlife and scenic parks, including where I currently live. There's beautiful beaches in three other NJ counties and a wonderful private one I go to out on Long Island that I don't have to pay to use and can bring there whatever I want, including beer. And I don't have to leave my house in the middle of the night to get a decent parking space there either.

Breath of fresh air? Not really. Moving out of NJ altogether was a breath of fresh air for me, and it was finally when thing began to go right for me. Sure, privacy and isolation. It is not civil and doesn't really create the atmosphere of feeling at home where neighbors don't know each other. I live in a place whe neighbors look out for each other. Nowhere is cheap these days, but it is still cheaper than Bergen. And yes I agree Bergen has some very ugly areas that are overcrowded, that I would never want to live in either.

The hoity-toity attitude in that whole area is apparent from this post, touting it on superlatives of things that you can find pretty much anywhere else. I would never call it the best of anything.

And FYI, the deep dark secret about Colts Neck is the fact that the schools are not good. 40% of the HS graduates DO NOT continue education beyond graduation. I knew someone who lived there, well over their means, moving there for a noble reason yet was always broke, their daugher went to school there and became a bad kid. Not sure how many residents there send their children to private school. Bruce Springsteen and Jon Bon Jovi moved there after their kids were grown.
Did you move to Levittown PA or Levittown NY from NJ?

Old 04-22-2022, 01:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
A to B to C

Old 04-29-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Did you move to Levittown PA or Levittown NY from NJ?
I will not answer your question, my handle is self-explanatory.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:05 AM

351 posts, read 271,510 times
Quote:
I will not answer your question, my handle is self-explanatory.
He lives in Levittown PA. Where the average home price is 330k and under and you can find homes that are listed in the 200s there. Areas like Levittown are cheap for a reason usually because it's an undesirable place to live. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." It's funny how people who can't afford to live in wealthier towns are the first ones to talk badly about them. People like you are very envious and have no first hand knowledge with living in a upper class area therefore your rude and false prior comments are irrelevant here.

Last edited by possibleyou; 04-30-2022 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-30-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
He lives in Levittown PA. Where the average home price is 330k and under and you can find homes that are listed in the 200s there. Areas like Levittown are cheap for a reason usually because it's an undesirable place to live. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." It's funny how people who can't afford to live in wealthier towns are the first ones to talk badly about them. People like you are very envious and have no first hand knowledge with living in a upper class area therefore your rude and false prior comments are irrelevant here.
You’re proving me right by everything you say here. This post shows your ignorance and/or lack of “first hand knowledge” as you call it about other places or how “desirable” or “undesirable” they may be.

You don’t know where I live in Levittown or what the deal is here. So keep your ignorance to yourself because it’s clear you’re clueless.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:46 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:

IDK. If I lived in Levittown, PA, I probably wouldn't talk smack about Colts Neck, NJ. It's pretty much in a whole other league than Levittown. Fresh air? Do you seriously think Fairless Hills or Bristol has cleaner air than Colts Neck, with its spread out homes and horse farms? How about Tullytown, with its massive dump?

Show any two people on this earth a home in Levittown and a home in Colts Neck and 99/100 people would choose Colts Neck. I guess you'd be the lone outlier.

I assure you schools in Colts Neck are better than schools in Bristol, PA which is the dumpiest place in Bucks County. Lets compare scenic Route 34 with horse farms and farm markets (Delicious Orchards, anyone) and Route 13 with all its garish used car lots and strip clubs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey