Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2022, 04:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,440 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe this question is better suited to the Real Estate Forum, but since we have some real estate geniuses here too…

I got a notice that my town is doing a revaluation. I know I’ve built up some pretty good equity in my house… to the point that if my house appraises for close to what I think, I’ll be very close to an 80% LTV ratio.

But could the town’s appraisal be used as proof of the LTV ratio to remove PMI, or do I have to pop another $500 or so to get my own? I couldn’t find the answer on the Int O’ Net for this one, but figured some of y’all might know. My gut is telling me no, I can’t use the town’s appraisal, but ???

Thanks for any info…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 08:12 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
OK, maybe this question is better suited to the Real Estate Forum, but since we have some real estate geniuses here too…

I got a notice that my town is doing a revaluation. I know I’ve built up some pretty good equity in my house… to the point that if my house appraises for close to what I think, I’ll be very close to an 80% LTV ratio.

But could the town’s appraisal be used as proof of the LTV ratio to remove PMI, or do I have to pop another $500 or so to get my own? I couldn’t find the answer on the Int O’ Net for this one, but figured some of y’all might know. My gut is telling me no, I can’t use the town’s appraisal, but ???

Thanks for any info…
As far as I know, your PMI remains tied to the value of your house as determined at the time you got the mortgage, so it's still going to depend upon how much of the mortgage you have paid off. I don't think they care what your town's assessment on your property will be. That's not the same as an actual appraisal.

When you refinance, you have to have an actual appraisal done. They don't go to the town and ask what the assessment on your property for tax purposes is, so I don't see how they would use that to drop your PMI.

By the way, when I got to where I thought my LTV was down to 80% or 78% or whatever the requirement is, I reached out to a loan person at the bank and asked if they could drop the PMI. I suspect they might not have done it automatically if I hadn't initiated the conversation.

I think you might have to refinance to get rid of the PMI. I refinanced a year or two after I got rid of the PMI, and since property values had gone up, I was holding my breath hoping the appraisal would come back what I needed it to be to get a conventional loan, and it did.

Might be worth a call to talk to a loan officer and find out if there's something you can do to get rid of the PMI.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:41 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As far as I know, your PMI remains tied to the value of your house as determined at the time you got the mortgage, so it's still going to depend upon how much of the mortgage you have paid off. I don't think they care what your town's assessment on your property will be. That's not the same as an actual appraisal.

When you refinance, you have to have an actual appraisal done. They don't go to the town and ask what the assessment on your property for tax purposes is, so I don't see how they would use that to drop your PMI.

By the way, when I got to where I thought my LTV was down to 80% or 78% or whatever the requirement is, I reached out to a loan person at the bank and asked if they could drop the PMI. I suspect they might not have done it automatically if I hadn't initiated the conversation.

I think you might have to refinance to get rid of the PMI. I refinanced a year or two after I got rid of the PMI, and since property values had gone up, I was holding my breath hoping the appraisal would come back what I needed it to be to get a conventional loan, and it did.

Might be worth a call to talk to a loan officer and find out if there's something you can do to get rid of the PMI.
Thanks, Queen… my PMI isn’t much, less than $90 a month, but I was curious.

As far as the refinance, I did it a year ago. Went from 4.25% to 2.75%, which was a delightful reduction in payments. With mortgage rates climbing now, another refinance is out for a while. And at 2.75%, maybe permanently.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Thanks, Queen… my PMI isn’t much, less than $90 a month, but I was curious.

As far as the refinance, I did it a year ago. Went from 4.25% to 2.75%, which was a delightful reduction in payments. With mortgage rates climbing now, another refinance is out for a while. And at 2.75%, maybe permanently.
Yes, mine was $79 or something, down to $67 or so by the time I got rid of it, but still. I didn't like paying it, but it was the only way I was able to buy my condo because I didn't have any money when I did and had to get an FHA.

2.75% is good. I refi'd from 5.25% to 3.25%, and I was happy about that. Plus I went from 30 years to 15, and I believe I can have it paid off in six or seven.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:20 PM

962 posts, read 540,696 times
Tough question. Did the town just do a reassessment, and is your value actually based upon that reassessment value? Or is the assessed value out of whack and your town just adjusts the ratio to increase taxes?

If your town was recently reassessed, and your assessed value looks close to what you think is the actual value, see if the town ordered an appraisal on your property. Make an OPRA request for any documents going toward the valuation of your property.

Your bank requires an appraisal from a licensed appraiser to consider removing PMI. You might be able to use an appraisal ordered by your town to revalue your property, if such a document exists. I do not know how towns do reassessment, but when towns purchase property/portions of property, they are required to obtain appraisals. The law might be the same for reassessments.

If your town does not have an appraisal for your home, know that appraisals cost $300-500. If your annual PMI is more than that, and you think you'll get over 20% equity after valuation, hire an appraiser, present the appraisal to the bank, and enjoy no more PMI.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:45 PM

480 posts, read 480,437 times
The actual answer is, its up to your mortgage company-you're not going to get anything definitive here. I ordered my own appraisal (about $450) and sent that along with documentation of major improvements (new pine plank flooring throughout, updated kitchen, updated HVAC, etc...) and PMI was removed within 30 days of submitting.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 AM

100 posts, read 89,725 times
You should refi. Then you will get a better interest rate too.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
You should refi. Then you will get a better interest rate too.
Did you not read Post No. 3? I don't think they'll get much better than 2.75% to make it worth the cost.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:26 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you not read Post No. 3? I don't think they'll get much better than 2.75% to make it worth the cost.

Yeah, that’s why I just paid my PMI in full at closing when I bought last year. It’s not realistic to expect there to be an opportunity to eliminate it by refinancing at a lower rate in the future.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yeah, that’s why I just paid my PMI in full at closing when I bought last year. It’s not realistic to expect there to be an opportunity to eliminate it by refinancing at a lower rate in the future.
When I bought, you could eliminate the PMI when you got to a certain LTV. I think it was either 80% or 78%. I had started paying extra on my mortgage when I finished eliminating my other debt, and I was pretty sure I was there, so I reached out to the mortgage people, and sure enough, they dropped it.

A year or so after that, I refinanced. My problem was that I bought my condo in 2010, and then it dropped in value. I couldn't refinance until comps went back up, and all of a sudden, they did. I was holding my breath waiting for the appraisal, though. It had to come in at a certain amount, and when it did, it was $10K over that figure, so I was good.

That 2% interest reduction made a difference in how much is going to principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey