Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2024, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 472 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am brand new to this site and I am hoping to get some advice.
I live here in NJ, on Social Security and my income is only $1,100.00 mth. I have no help, and I don't qualify for food stamps. I was getting $300.00 extra a month through my insurance but because I get $1.00 too much a month, Social Security took my Medicade away so now I am stuck with co-pays for any doctor I see which are a minimum of $50.00 which I can not afford. Everything I pay comes out of my Social Security check (rent, elec. TV, phone, FOOD, etc) so by the time I pay my bills I may have $100.00 for food yet the state thinks $1,100.00 is enough to live off of.
Anyways, which brings me to the reason for this post. I live in an efficiency apartment which over 50 yrs ago was a motel. Every other apartment is reversed which means my living room/kitchen is against next-door's living room/kitchen. The apartments are quite small and I was told we're not insulated. Anyways next-door is not only a chain smoker but he also smokes pot alllllllll day & night long. I do not smoke (never have) and I have never done drugs. Unfortunately my apartment smells really bad from his smoking and when he is smoking his pot, that horrible skunk smelling stench also fills my apartment. I have mentioned it to him time and time again but it falls upon deaf ears. I have also mentioned it to the landlord but of course he could care less not to mention he is a slumlord to begin with.
My lungs constantly burn, I am coughing allllll the time, I have begun to have nose bleeds and I have found lumps on my body. The lumps could be nothing or it could be something, I don't know because I can not afford to see a doctor for them.
I also have a cat and she seems to get sick more often than she should. So if the smoke & pot are bothering me, then I know it bothers her.
I can't even have a fan in the window to even get fresh air in my apartment because the pot is so bad that when he smokes it or even cigarettes for that matter, it blows in my apartment, so I can't even get away from it.
Does anyone know if there are any type of laws or conditions that prohibits the landlord to allow his second hand smoke to come into my apartment?
There is no way I can even afford to move nor do I have help even if I could. I can barely walk without some type of assistance because my knees are so bad.

So if I could get some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 11:49 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
You could try an air purifier like the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Purifi...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Old 04-21-2024, 06:25 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
You need to call social services in your town or county. Maybe they can relocate you.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:19 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
The only state that I am aware of where you can sue your neighbor for nuisance because of 2nd hand tobacco smoke is Utah. The tobacco lobby is powerful and mealy mouthed politicians cater to smokers.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title78B/C...B-6-S1101.html

Old 04-21-2024, 08:58 AM

416 posts, read 534,823 times
Maybe you should buy this guy cartons of unfiltered smokes. Add a few bottles of Wild Turkey whiskey. Help out where you can.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You could try an air purifier like the one below:

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Purifier-Capacity-Allergens-11010/dp/B098C92GSK?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1[/url]
I do have an air purifier that also is a diffuser but it doesn't seem to be helping. I think it's just too small. I would love to get a bigger one but again, I can not afford it.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Smoking cigarettes and weed is legal in NJ, if your landlord allows it not much you can do, your options are move or buy some high quality air purifiers.
Also something doesn't sound right, with your very small income I would think you would be eligible for food stamps.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
Hitch a ride to Manhattan and tell them you are here illegally. That seems to be the open sesame to all sorts of social benefits. To include all the food you can eat(AYCE), a room in a ritzy hotel, maid service, spending cash, medical if needed, legal assistance, bus tickets, clothing. If you are pregnant, you can pop out a kid at no cost to you.

Where else can you get a deal like this? In the city that never sleeps, of course.

That program is so popular folks are flocking from all over the world to enjoy the largesse of the New York citizens.

Old Today, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Hitch a ride to Manhattan and tell them you are here illegally. That seems to be the open sesame to all sorts of social benefits. To include all the food you can eat(AYCE), a room in a ritzy hotel, maid service, spending cash, medical if needed, legal assistance, bus tickets, clothing. If you are pregnant, you can pop out a kid at no cost to you.

Where else can you get a deal like this? In the city that never sleeps, of course.

That program is so popular folks are flocking from all over the world to enjoy the largesse of the New York citizens.

Hahahaha if I popped out a kid at my age I'm afraid Ripleys would want to publish me in their records. I will be 57 at the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey