Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 01:54 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocytoma View Post
Ridgewood is so congested, and old. If not for the diversity I'd say it resembles 1950s America. HHK is even smaller than ridgewood.

I personally think you would like USR/SR (which are 5 mins away from ridgewood depending on the area) far more. Imagine open acres of land, and breathing room. Peace, and happiness.
For the second time - where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2022, 02:09 PM

494 posts, read 370,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
For the second time I refuse to answer such a personal question on a public forum.

I’m assuming you live in Ridgewood, and enjoy the small congested roads, and 3% property tax for 1950s built homes at 100% equalization ratio. That’s all fine with me. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 02-20-2022, 02:34 PM

It’s not a personal question - you post as if you have first hand knowledge of these towns, and it’s only fair that you share how.

BTW my house was built in 1920.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM

12 posts, read 16,831 times
We put in an offer on a house in HHK. Of course I am now having cold feet as it begins to become more of a reality. I assume it is a safe town too based on location, right? I know there has been a lot of car and home break-ins in Bergen County and towns that are considered safe lately. I know we can always move if we are unhappy, but would prefer not to go in with that mindset and not move soon. Thank you all for your help! Hope we do not regret the town choice if accepted.

Also regarding Tenafly/Closter - I agree they are good towns but it just isn't worth the money for location. I would prefer SR/USR at that point. Willing to pay taxes for the area we want but needs to make sense. The schools are great all over BC and taxes lower with good proximity to highways and other areas. I think those towns are wonderful, just not for us.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:49 PM

332 posts, read 522,835 times
Car breakins around here are nearly all people who are leaving cars unlocked and often leaving the keyfobs in the car. When you have reasonably small lots (so cars are visible from the street) and new cars where the windows automatically fold in when locked....sitting ducks! Unfortunate certainly...

Old 02-21-2022, 07:08 PM

HHK is a great town - you'll love it.

There have been "a lot" (relatively speaking - a few more than average) break ins in the area, but nothing compared to any other part of the country. A major factor in this spike is criminals in stolen cars out of high crime neighboring cities venturing into high income areas in their stolen cars, knowing that they will not be pursued under new policies.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:40 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I'd say HHK is pretty safe. It is a nice, quiet town. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2022, 12:32 PM

214 posts, read 350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
He probably bought a new construction house built on 5k sqft lot in Paramus given his post history. That's why he hates all these old houses. My money is on Paramus.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:01 PM

68 posts, read 68,939 times
I think if you want a "Jewish" environment, go to Fair Lawn. HHK was wonderful, of course I am talking about the 1940's & 50's the kids went to Ridgewood High School, no longer go there. I am sure u would be welcome in any of the towns u mentioned. Many years ago Ridgewood was very "waspy" white ango saxon protestant. Today people r less narrow minded (I think)
Years ago, according to my ex husband, the kids on his block were all 4 years apart, probably planned so that both kids would not be in college at same time $$$.
The kids rode their bikes all over town and into Saddle River, life
was good, less complicated than today.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:02 PM

68 posts, read 68,939 times
OH i forgot about Paramus, large Jewish population there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey