Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
plus amnesty is only going to make the problem of illegals even worse. we already did this once before under Reagan if I remember correctly.

Just adds to the dream..sneak into America, tough it out for awhile and eventually the American capitulate and give you amnesty
Yes it was under Reagan and that traitor Ted Kennedy and others ran around and said it would stop all illegal immigration and then there would never be amnesty again-they promised so in order to get the public behind it. Lies Lies Lies coming from the biggest liar of them all. Only a few million got amnesty then. Now we are talking 20-30 million and that number grows everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
That is really a different argument. Right now legal immigration is capped I think around a mil and a half a year. Now if that cap were raised to 10 million I am sure there would be issues with that as being legal would entitle them to more benefits. I think it would have to be reevaluated as far as do we really need to increase legal by 8.5 mil. I personally don't think we need to admit 10 million a year legal or otherwise. The US already admits more LEGAL immigrants a year than all other countries. Then add in the 20-30 million illegal. When does it end? What about putting Americans first?

A country has a right to determine the number of legal immigrants it accepts. 1.5 mill is more generous than any other country in the world.
Have you ever been on the INS website? What are you thoughts on the "Lottery"? Take a peek and see who qualifies and who doesn't...it'll blow your mind! Our allies are excluded. I was being sarcastic when I said 10 million and I have to say, I don't really believe that Kate would be ok with 10 million legal Mexicans moving into here neighborhood : )

Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Have you ever been on the INS website? What are you thoughts on the "Lottery"? Take a peek and see who qualifies and who doesn't...it'll blow your mind! Our allies are excluded. I was being sarcastic when I said 10 million and I have to say, I don't really believe that Kate would be ok with 10 million legal Mexicans moving into here neighborhood : )
Yes I know about the lottery. I think it is disgusting-it is not right.

I don't think anyone would be happy with 10 million of anyone moving in their neighborhood

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
When does it end? What about putting Americans first?

A country has a right to determine the number of legal immigrants it accepts. 1.5 mill is more generous than any other country in the world.
I agree and I'm an immigrant. Came here in the early 90's and it was tough. Took forever and cost a small fortune. Recently, I applied for green cards for my parents and that was even tougher and more expensive. I have no problem with this as long as everyone is held to the same standards. (Showing you have enough cash to support yourself etc). I mean seriously when we were going through the green card stuff my Dad and I often joked that he should just run across the freaking border...

Oh and as far as the lottery goes...I could never understand when people from the UK were excluded!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
CuCullin,

Talk to people who live in the border states of Texas, Arizona, california..especially those living right on the border..it isn't pretty
I am one of these people. I live 40 minutes from the international border.

Since I manage a database of mapping elements (aerial imagery included) I thought I'd include this map for your perusal. I've been to Sunland Park New Mexico several times. It's essentially a colonia. There is a fence that separates the countries, but it only extends until the Union Pacific railroad easement ends. Then it becomes property of the BLM. You can drive a car to the fence, the walk along it, until the land transitions to the BLM. When I pick up relatives at the El Paso Airport, I drive them right to this spot. The spot I drive them to is right above the "B" in Border Patrol. If you go a half mile to the right of this, the fence just ends. Anarapa Mexico is one of the worst ****holes I've ever had the displeasures of driving through. It's a sizeable community right on the other side of the fence. In spite of CBP presence there is minimal deterrent because there is no fear of real reprisal.

Oh yeah, the map (this imagery I mosaiced together about 6 months ago, it's brand new):

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I agree and I'm an immigrant. Came here in the early 90's and it was tough. Took forever and cost a small fortune. Recently, I applied for green cards for my parents and that was even tougher and more expensive. I have no problem with this as long as everyone is held to the same standards. (Showing you have enough cash to support yourself etc). I mean seriously when we were going through the green card stuff my Dad and I often joked that he should just run across the freaking border...

Oh and as far as the lottery goes...I could never understand when people from the UK were excluded!

Kudos to you..you have my utmost respect
Where do you hail from?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Ok Wiley you got me on that 10 million lol
yes, seen the lottery as my son had friends in Belfast waiting and waiting and waiting..it's deplorable

Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:

People from the UK are excluded because we have enough of your kind over here..lol : ) I think any country that supports us and our political beliefs...and are willing to fight beside us, should be excluded from having to fight to become a citizen in this country! And the reverse should apply as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am one of these people. I live 40 minutes from the international border.

Since I manage a database of mapping elements (aerial imagery included) I thought I'd include this map for your perusal. I've been to Sunland Park New Mexico several times. It's essentially a colonia. There is a fence that separates the countries, but it only extends until the Union Pacific railroad easement ends. Then it becomes property of the BLM. You can drive a car to the fence, the walk along it, until the land transitions to the BLM. When I pick up relatives at the El Paso Airport, I drive them right to this spot. The spot I drive them to is right above the "B" in Border Patrol. If you go a half mile to the right of this, the fence just ends. Anarapa Mexico is one of the worst ****holes I've ever had the displeasures of driving through. It's a sizeable community right on the other side of the fence. In spite of CBP presence there is minimal deterrent because there is no fear of real reprisal.

Oh yeah, the map (this imagery I mosaiced together about 6 months ago, it's brand new):

Dig that moat Mike...start digging it...fill it with crocs & gators

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Thank you for doing it the right way. It was tough and it should be-and I don't say that in a mean way. So many people want to come here-we should have a handle on who comes here, we should know about them etc. To me that is just common sense.

It really gets me angry when we have respectful people such as yourself play by the rules and law breakers jump the border. Legal immigrants play by the rules and in many ways the illegal aliens are rewarded-not right.

The lottery is an extension of bad immigration policy leading back to the 1965 Immigration Act-another winner of an act by Ted Kennedy. Seems we had too many people here from England, Ireland etc. We should not have quotas or lotteries. It should be first come first serve so to speak. Get in line, pay what you need to, pass all the criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey