Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 05:56 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

In a private message, explain to me which posts were “insults”. If you don’t feel comfortable doing so, report them so the appropriate mods can review them. Any further posts in the open forum will be considered a violation of the ToS for discussing moderation.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 11:16 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
No one is acting like the sky is falling so please cut the insults and snye remarks about people who have a legitimate reason for not pumping their own gas. This is all because of the ego and jealousy people who have to pump their own gas in their own states feel. It's pure jealousy and has nothing to do with waiting in line and it will never lower the cost anymore than taxes are lowered. So what that you chose to pump your own gas nobody cares except you because you all sound so very jealous that you have to in your state.

Well now since people from other states can dictate what NJ should do I say raise your taxes!!! as high as NJ!! With all the over taxing New Jersey residents have to pay people shouldn't have to pump their own gas at the very least.

Since you dictate to NJ then I say your taxes are entirely to low time to make you pay like NJ does. I say lets have a secret vote that you don't get sent to you to have a say the same as has been done to NJ residents. I never ever once got a ballot or any damn thing to vote on pumping gas. Time to raise your taxes on every State that pumps their own gas.
Airborneguy lives in New Jersey.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:47 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes he told me thank you.

When I go to the gas station and see someone pump their own gas in NJ no one complains. When I go into websites in conversations about pumping gas no one complains when someone wants to pump their own gas.

But when talking about not pumping their own gas all of a sudden people who want to pump their own complain that others don't.

No one is considering that no one is stopping anyone or cares that anyone pumps their own. The only people complaining are the people who pump their own gas without anyone complaining about them. It's a made up problem. Yes there is a law well so what no one has ever said anything when we all see people do what they want.

Not one person complained about the people who pump themselves.

The main reason everybody seems to have is they can pump in another state. Well big deal. Since people want NJ to be like all other states then it is time to start making other states pay the taxes NJ is getting hung nearly to death with.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:17 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
I’m thoroughly confused by the implied correlation between state taxes and self-service gas.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-24-2022, 10:30 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m thoroughly confused by the implied correlation between state taxes and self-service gas.
I think everyone is.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:23 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Where do they put credit card holds for self-serve gas? I’ve never seen that, ever. I’ve been to 43 of 50 states, 42 of which have self-serve gas (because 49 of 50 have self-serve gas). Most of my travels have been driving. I’m in North Carolina right now. On this trip I’ve pumped gas in Maryland and NC. No credit card hold.

Literally every other state has had self-serve gas forever except for Oregon. The sky is not falling New Jerseyans!
Gas stations here have a notice that says they may put a hold on debit cards. I only use my debit card and so far I've never seen a hold on my account for anything.

I have to say, I've been pumping my own gas since the 70s and it's funny to see people so upset about it. But I can see their point.

On the other hand, I know a lot of station owners will make their cashiers pay back the amounts for any drive and dash that happens on their shift. And with gas as high as it is, I'm surprised that isn't happening more often.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:04 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Yes he told me thank you.

When I go to the gas station and see someone pump their own gas in NJ no one complains. When I go into websites in conversations about pumping gas no one complains when someone wants to pump their own gas.

But when talking about not pumping their own gas all of a sudden people who want to pump their own complain that others don't.

No one is considering that no one is stopping anyone or cares that anyone pumps their own. The only people complaining are the people who pump their own gas without anyone complaining about them. It's a made up problem. Yes there is a law well so what no one has ever said anything when we all see people do what they want.

Not one person complained about the people who pump themselves.

The main reason everybody seems to have is they can pump in another state. Well big deal. Since people want NJ to be like all other states then it is time to start making other states pay the taxes NJ is getting hung nearly to death with.
When people have really nice collectible cars, a mint'68 Corvette or something like that, the attendants almost always let the driver fill it themselves I've noticed. Lest they drip some gas on it and get a beatdown, lol.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
I think everyone is.
I can only speak for myself, but--yes--the supposed correlation between those two issues is... non-existent, as far as I know.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:06 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When people have really nice collectible cars, a mint'68 Corvette or something like that, the attendants almost always let the driver fill it themselves I've noticed. Lest they drip some gas on it and get a beatdown, lol.
When I ride my motorcycle, they actually expect me to do it at most gas stations.

On the other hand, my car, while not an antique collectible, costs more than the majority of antique collectibles, and they never ask me if I want to fill it myself. This is fine with me, because I don't really want to fill it up myself anyway, but you would think if they were worried about damaging valuable property, they wouldn't pick and choose which valuable property they are willing to damage.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:31 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
No one is acting like the sky is falling so please cut the insults and snye remarks about people who have a legitimate reason for not pumping their own gas. This is all because of the ego and jealousy people who have to pump their own gas in their own states feel. It's pure jealousy and has nothing to do with waiting in line and it will never lower the cost anymore than taxes are lowered. So what that you chose to pump your own gas nobody cares except you because you all sound so very jealous that you have to in your state.

Well now since people from other states can dictate what NJ should do I say raise your taxes!!! as high as NJ!! With all the over taxing New Jersey residents have to pay people shouldn't have to pump their own gas at the very least.

Since you dictate to NJ then I say your taxes are entirely to low time to make you pay like NJ does. I say lets have a secret vote that you don't get sent to you to have a say the same as has been done to NJ residents. I never ever once got a ballot or any damn thing to vote on pumping gas. Time to raise your taxes on every State that pumps their own gas.

You're right, it will never lower the price of gas. Once they make it "optional" people will be screaming it's no cheaper, but then again, maybe they won't mind paying more due to the insurance to cover the public pumping their own, because it will be worth it to them to finally get to pump their own. They also may not say something because then they'd have to admit they were wrong to believe the "cheap gas" hype, just like the people who voted for Biden for the single reason because they hated Trump.

The biggest gripe seems to be long wait times which could be remedied by people not buying gas during rush hour. If they left earlier, they may miss the mad rush. It is rare for me to encounter a line or wait for someone to finish another car before coming to me.

These days, they usually sit in a booth right at the pump unlike my day when I was inside the building doing other things to help my dad.

Self serve gas is a hot button topic for some of us, myself included, for many reasons. Yeah, it's no big deal to pump my own but why would I even want to when I don't have to? Why even change it?

I had to give up my Sirius XM this last year so am back to listening to NJ 101.5 where Dominski and Doyle seem to talk about this a lot. People from other states may call in, or people with electric cars, both who's opinion means nothing because it doesn't apply to them. Who cares that when you visit NJ you fill up in a self serve state because you don't like someone else pumping it for you?

Some from other states do call in to say that full serve will go away and that their self serve gas is more expensive than NJ's full serve gas.

It should be a question that's sent to everyone with a drivers license to be voted on, but they're not going to do that, they're trying to put the bill through without the vote of the public which is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Full service used to mean the attendant would clean your glass front and back, check your oil, wipe down your wiper blades. I prefer self service, but if someone wants someone else to pump there gas, hey, go for it. Choice is better.

We checked all fluids, we also put air in tires.

That seemed to go away when immigrants started buying up stations. My dad's station in Watchung was leased out by a Russian run company who made it into a delta.

Quote:
It's ok if people want to pump their own gas no one is stopping them. But to force people to do it is not right. Plus now over charge them when an attendant does it isn't the answer either. Unless people want the attendant to get rental assistance, food vouchers, snaps. Well then it's rewarding the attendant for not working. No one stops anyone from pumping their own. I have seen people pump their own and when they do no one stops them because they can if they want to.

I agree, I've never seen them stop anyone just like none stop me from topping mine off. They're happy for me to do it. They say "you got it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
When I ride my motorcycle, they actually expect me to do it at most gas stations.

On the other hand, my car, while not an antique collectible, costs more than the majority of antique collectibles, and they never ask me if I want to fill it myself. This is fine with me, because I don't really want to fill it up myself anyway, but you would think if they were worried about damaging valuable property, they wouldn't pick and choose which valuable property they are willing to damage.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with the person not knowing that the gas tank is behind the license plate on the older collector cars lol They're also probably clueless about what you're driving because they have no interest in knowing how much cars cost that they can't afford anyway.

People on bikes have always filled it themselves, even back in my day because gas used to be left in the nozzle depending on the tank location of the last car that got gas. Since I rode my own bike, I knew this, people would trust me to fill their tank on their bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The latest Rutgers-Eagleton Poll finds that 73% of the NJ residents who were polled do not want to pump their own gas.
I prefer to do it myself, so I hope that the state legislature approves self-service gas in NJ.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/03/we-d...n-in-poll.html

Rutgers-Eagleton Poll website is useless to try to even find the poll. Nothing comes up when searching. I'm not sure if I even read the article the first time I was here, the poll never asked about the self serve bill.

Quote:
The Rutgers-Eagleton poll did not specifically ask about the bill. The poll questions focused on preferences of drivers and did not ask if they’d like self-service as an option.

“There is apparently one thing all New Jerseyans can agree on nowadays and that’s the time-honored Jersey tradition of having your gas pumped for you,” Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling director Ashley Koning said in a statement..... ....A large majority wants full service in the Garden State, but this preference does not mean automatic opposition to a self-serve option.”

About 87% of women polled prefer to have their gas pumped for them compared to 55% of men. The differences were less stark along income and political lines.

The poll of 1,044 adults was taken between Feb. 25 and March 4 just prior to the recent major spike in gas prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey