Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 08:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
How did Richwood escape this list?

He doesn’t want to live in a village, for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 08:04 PM

128 posts, read 250,561 times
Thanks guys! I added Ridgewood to my list.

Driving is not an issue but we do prefer walking and public transportation if available.

@1200RT Thanks for you comment! Would you say Westchester county is a better choice as far as rent availability?

Old 03-15-2022, 08:07 PM

128 posts, read 250,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
He doesn’t want to live in a village, for some reason.
We can reconsider looking at villages again. We went exploring some villages in Hudson county last year, and while it was very nice and we liked it my wife thought it was too quite and not enough to do (while for me it is exactly what I want) so we agreed to settle somewhere in the middle.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
We can reconsider looking at villages again. We went exploring some villages in Hudson county last year, and while it was very nice and we liked it my wife thought it was too quite and not enough to do (while for me it is exactly what I want) so we agreed to settle somewhere in the middle.
“Village”, at least in NJ, simply refers to the form of gubment the town has. It has nothing to do with any other characteristics of the town. Ridgewood is right next to Glen Rock, and while Glen Rock is a “Borough” and Ridgewood is a “Village”, Ridgewood has about double the population and land area of Glen Rock, and a much bigger and livelier downtown area.

But, it’s also more expensive than Glen Rock (although neither is close to cheap).

Old 03-16-2022, 05:22 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:

Village? Hudson County? Quiet?

Where exactly in Hudson County were you?

Old 03-16-2022, 05:35 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Village? Hudson County? Quiet?
Where exactly in Hudson County were you?
You beat me to it, regarding that... puzzling... impression of Hudson County.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:27 AM

331 posts, read 521,580 times
Hudson County doesn't have any towns that are incorporated as Villages, in fact.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Hudson County doesn't have any towns that are incorporated as Villages, in fact.
... nor does it have any areas that resemble a village, or are quiet.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
How did Richwood escape this list?
I wondered, too, but your alternate spelling is not going to help someone from Brooklyn who doesn't know what you mean.

It is Ridgewood, OP. Adjacent to Glen Rock, same train and bus line.

But, as always, my vote would be Red Bank.

Eta: I see OP looked at Ridgewood.

And wondering if by Hudson County the OP meant the Hudson Valley in New York state.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:40 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! I added Ridgewood to my list.

Driving is not an issue but we do prefer walking and public transportation if available.

@1200RT Thanks for you comment! Would you say Westchester county is a better choice as far as rent availability?
I can't speak to rental availbility in westchester - I'll just tell you that rental homes in GR and RW. RW has several apartment complexes which might work for you (walkability to town). Glen Rock has none, but does have condo complexes (to buy, but might have rentals from owner).

Quote:
“Village”, at least in NJ, simply refers to the form of gubment the town has. It has nothing to do with any other characteristics of the town. Ridgewood is right next to Glen Rock, and while Glen Rock is a “Borough” and Ridgewood is a “Village”, Ridgewood has about double the population and land area of Glen Rock, and a much bigger and livelier downtown area.

But, it’s also more expensive than Glen Rock (although neither is close to cheap).
While it is true that ridgewood has some more expensive homes, GR taxes are higher, so 'more expensive' is relative. GR also doesn't have the smaller houses on the lower end that RW has, so the spectrum is much smaller. Not necessarily an issue if the OP is renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey