Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM

23 posts, read 107,251 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to NJ a year ago and have been living in Englewood,NJ. Our lease expires in July and we want to start saving more money as we r paying $1915+utilities currently. So, we r looking for other places nearby. My husband works in NY downtown and takes the bus to Port Authority and then the subway to reach there. His commute time is 1 hr door-to-door as he leaves early at 6.00 a.m.

We want to move some place where my husband's commute time remains the same and the rent+utilities costs upto $1700 max for a 1 BR Apt. We do not want to move to JC or Newark. We are looking for a safe and quiet neighborhood.

We looked at a few apts. in Fairlawn and Montclair, but havent found anything yet. Please suggest us other areas we could look at.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 PM

828 posts, read 3,137,695 times
Cliffside Park or Bayonne.
CP has a bus that goes from Palisades Ave to the PATH in Hoboken
Bayonne has the Light Rail and also buses that go to the PATH in JC.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:33 AM

79 posts, read 226,348 times
For the light rail, you'd still need to take a PATH into NYC (from the Pavonia/Newport stop), but it'll still be faster than taking the 99S (express bus to Port Authority) or the #10 to JSQ. Also someday in the future they're going to be adding a stop to 8th st. depending on if and where you moved to Bayonne (currently it's 45th st., 34th st. & 22nd st.. Of course, seeing as I live on 10th st. currently, they won't have it up and running until after I move and no longer take the light rail to work. :| /rant)

Honestly if you're looking for quiet and safe, Bayonne is a good choice. Actually, it's almost so safe and quiet sometimes it seems like the entire police force will come out just for a speeding ticket.

Looking through today's Community News, most 1 bedroom apts are going to run ya about $800-$950. They're also building tons of condos but I don't know about those prices.

Also Bayonne has it's own webpage.

Last edited by Digital Entropy; 05-22-2008 at 01:24 AM..

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 107,251 times
Thanks for the info. on Bayonne and CP. I will start looking at the apartment communities in those areas. I hope the commute still stays the same.

I read a lot of posts here at night yesterday and came up with the following areas which r considered to be good.

Clifton
Nutley
East Rutherford
Upper Montclair
Ridgewood
Bloomfield
FairLawn

Can anyone tell me about these areas in terms of our requirements - safety,our budget ($1700 max) and commute time(1 hr max).

Thanks again..

Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 96,178 times
Default apartment

I have a 2 bedroom with basement and garage in great shape in Hackensack private entrance and private rear yard with laundry

no realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensalemBuddy View Post
My husband and I moved to NJ a year ago and have been living in Englewood,NJ. Our lease expires in July and we want to start saving more money as we r paying $1915+utilities currently. So, we r looking for other places nearby. My husband works in NY downtown and takes the bus to Port Authority and then the subway to reach there. His commute time is 1 hr door-to-door as he leaves early at 6.00 a.m.

We want to move some place where my husband's commute time remains the same and the rent+utilities costs upto $1700 max for a 1 BR Apt. We do not want to move to JC or Newark. We are looking for a safe and quiet neighborhood.

We looked at a few apts. in Fairlawn and Montclair, but havent found anything yet. Please suggest us other areas we could look at.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Try Maplewood/SO. Not sure of the rents; but it is a great town right on the Midtown direct.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM

24 posts, read 96,178 times
Maplewood is right next to irvington and I would not want to be in irvington at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Try Maplewood/SO. Not sure of the rents; but it is a great town right on the Midtown direct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey