Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 10:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times

Advertisements

Well, the New York Times has published a real estate puff piece on my town. Now we're going to be overrun with Brooklynites and Manhattan dwellers running up prices, complaining about the lack of taxi service and the fact that our performing arts center is named after a Nazi, and demanding yet more stoplights. If our mayor is in any way responsible for this, fie on him.

New Yorkers flush with money are heartily invited to instead continue with their usual obsession with Maplewood and Montclair, or perhaps strike out to Summit or Roseland or even Essex Fells.

(Amusingly the comments section appears to be mostly West Orange residents complaining about the taxes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 02:06 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
You might have provided a link so rest of us know what you're going on about...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/20/r...y-commute.html

P.S.

Have news for you, West Orange was "discovered" by those fleeing NYC some time ago, most certainly in past few years as covid fueled a race from New York.

Place ticks many boxes for certain people, especially those valuing diversity but are priced out of or otherwise cannot find something in Montclair and Maplewood.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 04-21-2022 at 02:19 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 07:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Big whoop. Every town gets one of these NYT articles in due time. I’m so sick and tired of hearing suburbanites complain about waves of people moving from the city into their towns. It’s not like this is some new phenomenon. It’s been happening for 200 years. People who have been longtime residents of these towns may have themselves moved from the city, or at least their parents or grandparents did.

Last edited by Leps12; 04-21-2022 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 10:56 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Big whoop. Every town gets one of these NYT articles in due time. I’m so sick and tired of hearing suburbanites complain about waves of people moving from the city into their towns. It’s not like this is some new phenomenon. It’s been happening for 200 years. People who have been longtime residents of these towns may have themselves moved from the city, or at least their parents or grandparents did.
West Orange got their population wave from people escaping Newark as the African Americans moved in and burnt down their neighborhoods in the 1960s.

I will admit, a long time ago when I moved to North Jersey I avoided even looking into West Orange as I assumed it was a poophole like East Orange, Orange or South Orange. I lived in Caldwell and always looked at West Orange as the buffer zone of keeping people from Montclair away.

Couldnt read the article as its behind a payway but I will say West Orange has some beautiful parks, some great views of the Manhattan skyline and is a lovely town. Property taxes and homes are very expensive.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:36 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
West Orange got their population wave from people escaping Newark as the African Americans moved in and burnt down their neighborhoods in the 1960s.

I will admit, a long time ago when I moved to North Jersey I avoided even looking into West Orange as I assumed it was a poophole like East Orange, Orange or South Orange. I lived in Caldwell and always looked at West Orange as the buffer zone of keeping people from Montclair away.

Couldnt read the article as its behind a payway but I will say West Orange has some beautiful parks, some great views of the Manhattan skyline and is a lovely town. Property taxes and homes are very expensive.

Absolutely correct.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

NYT articles are *NOT* behind paywall. If you don't know how to get around blocked linkbacks, just search for story online using key words from article title or author's name. Once found should easily be able to read,

For record had no problems clicking on and reading NYT linked article in OP.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
NYT articles are *NOT* behind paywall. If you don't know how to get around blocked linkbacks, just search for story online using key words from article title or author's name. Once found should easily be able to read,

For record had no problems clicking on and reading NYT linked article in OP.
Works for some sites with paywalls, didn’t work for me in this case. What’s funny though is when you search “New York Times West Orange” in Google, one of the results you see is the same kind of “puff piece” written back in 2008. Kind of furthers my point.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:40 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
The NY Times will write about literally any town. Nothing to see here.

Here’s a 1995 NY Times article about Teterboro, which had a population of just 22 people then

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/16/n...ouncilman.html

Old 04-21-2022, 06:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The NY Times will write about literally any town. Nothing to see here.
I'm assuming the town's government or chamber of commerce usually has something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins
South Orange is a "poophole"? LOL. Anyway, your buffer from Montclair is mostly Verona, not West Orange. With a wee bit of Essex Fells and North Caldwell, though how you protect yourself from North Caldwell people is beyond me.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Works for some sites with paywalls, didn’t work for me in this case. What’s funny though is when you search “New York Times West Orange” in Google, one of the results you see is the same kind of “puff piece” written back in 2008. Kind of furthers my point.
Don't know where some of you got your internet skills, but maybe should ask a young kid (child, niece, nephew...), because exact advice given worked fine for me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=West..._AUoAnoECAIQBA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey