Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 13,515 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen anything posted on here yet, but it's making the rounds that 100+ former Colonia HS attendees have developed various forms of rare cancers throughout the years and now the EPA and the state are investigating.

As a Middlesex county resident that grew up not too far from the High School, this is certainly concerning news. Anybody know anything about this "Middlesex Sampling Plant" and its links to the the surrounding towns from back in the day?

Kudos to Mr. Lupiano for speaking up and gathering the facts for all of those in the area.

Some links:

https://www.today.com/health/health/...hool-rcna24973

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jerse...stigations-epa

https://patch.com/new-jersey/woodbri...ia-high-school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 02:18 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
What is really shocking to me is that we are not tracking deaths, where data like this can analyzed and figured out. It took one guy to start piecing this together after someone he knew died, he eventually found a couple people with brain tumors and now its over a hundred. I was on a facebook group where this is a topic, and many people who knew or knew someone from this school died from a similar cancer, or were posting on facebook that they had brain cancer, like it was just a regular event. I believe the result will be hundreds if not thousands of people discovered who deceased or diagnosed with cancers.

One of comments from the parents moms who currently attends the school, was she was upset that there was an active investigation and media at the school, taking away from her child's education, and why they cant do the investigation on the weekends or summer. Seriously wtf is wrong with some people?

I was listening to a NJ News podcast on Tiktok, that had the guy who put this all together. Apparently there was a site 3 miles away that had a lot of enriched uranium during the Manhattan project. The materials that were supposed to be discarded but wound up "lost" probably in the 40's or 50's, and there is speculation that it was dumped at the site where the school was built, or mixed in and used in the materials to build the school in the late 60's.

In 1997 somebody found a 'grape fruit' sized rock of enriched uranium just chilling in a science room that was there for unknown years. This guy found the article, and I'm really shocked because enriched uranium sitting in a classroom isn't good at all, and why wasn't this even larger news at the time? I'm just figuring people are as ignorant to this as the lady who is more concerned her childs studies than the investigation at the school. It seems people are turning up with cancers who went there in school in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, so I'm not exactly sure if that was the root cause. I'm surprised the school isn't shutdown as I wouldn't want to be there.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-21-2022 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 11:04 AM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times
I am also shocked the school hasn't been shut down. It is obvious there is a connection between this school and cancer. If I had children, I wouldn't have them going here!

Old 04-25-2022, 12:27 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I am also shocked the school hasn't been shut down. It is obvious there is a connection between this school and cancer. If I had children, I wouldn't have them going here!

If they were to shut the school down, you and Danny boy would be the first ones screaming government overreach and that Murphy is a dictator.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:49 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If they were to shut the school down, you and Danny boy would be the first ones screaming government overreach and that Murphy is a dictator.
Id think it makes valid sense to close down a school over this, and id hope it would be an apolitical situation.

Keeping schools closed for a couple years over a near non-existent covid threat to students made no sense.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:37 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
These are news articles on a guy's personal report (think HS science paper). Yes, it looks bad IF his data is correct and properly used, but you cannot close down schools based on some random guy saying things are bad.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:35 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Can you say, 'epidemiologist'"?

Government has jumped on issues with less information when it suits their needs politically.

Phosgene gas buried at the Raritan arsenal, mercury stored at belle meade.... anyone heard of this? issues are supposedly resolved, doubt it.

Cancer hotspot, fisher scientific , Bridgewater
Toms River cancer hotspot.

How many other hotspots yet to be discovered?

Suggest looking in Keasbey, Fords former sites of Grace, Hayden, Hatco. Ceramics, Carburundum.

Leading cause of death 18-45 year olds from fentanyl... anyone hear the HHS, CDC or the media clamor for an investigation? No, with open border you get one free ton of fentanyl.

A quick look at the deaths, years attended, would provide enough evidence to for a go or no go.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:53 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
NJ also has a lot of radon. I wonder if that could be behind it. A kid in my high school died of brain cancer. Toms River has been a known cluster for decades as well. I suspect someone knows what’s causing this.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 05-05-2022, 06:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
NJ also has a lot of radon. I wonder if that could be behind it. A kid in my high school died of brain cancer. Toms River has been a known cluster for decades as well. I suspect someone knows what’s causing this.
I doubt it’s radon. If it was, you would see an abnormally high cluster of lung cancer deaths more specifically, and that is not the case here. Toms River and Ocean County are low radon risk as well, but I don’t think you were suggesting that but rather radon in the case of Colonia, where Woodbridge is considered moderate risk. Most of America is considered moderate or high risk, by the way. Still, you would expect that to manifest in lung cancer. Toms River is likely from historical environmental pollutants and superfund sites.

https://www.nj.com/news/2017/01/many..._cancer-c.html

https://www.state.nj.us/health/ceohs/environmental-occupational/hazardous-waste-sites/ocean/dovertwp.shtml"]https://www.state.nj.us/health/ceohs...dovertwp.shtml[/url]

Old 05-06-2022, 12:18 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I doubt it’s radon. If it was, you would see an abnormally high cluster of lung cancer deaths more specifically, and that is not the case here. Toms River and Ocean County are low radon risk as well, but I don’t think you were suggesting that but rather radon in the case of Colonia, where Woodbridge is considered moderate risk. Most of America is considered moderate or high risk, by the way. Still, you would expect that to manifest in lung cancer. Toms River is likely from historical environmental pollutants and superfund sites.

https://www.nj.com/news/2017/01/many..._cancer-c.html

https://www.state.nj.us/health/ceohs/environmental-occupational/hazardous-waste-sites/ocean/dovertwp.shtml"]https://www.state.nj.us/health/ceohs...dovertwp.shtml[/url]
The belief is that it's not natural radon, but radium, uranium, and thorium from the Manhattan project (possible fill from the Middlesex Sampling Plant superfund site, which was closed down the same year the high school was built). Still, you are correct that you would probably see lung cancer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey