Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:25 AM

962 posts, read 541,204 times

Advertisements

Link to article.

Similar to California, New Jersey has collected $4.5 billion more in revenue than previously forecast. Surprisingly, a state that is typically scrambling to borrow against the pension fund now has $10.7 billion in reserves.

What should NJ do with this money? Expanding property tax relief seems most likely, but I want the money to go to local budgets through grants related to infrastructure and schools.

Especially with affordable housing compliance, many towns will be forced to increase their taxes to pay for the increases in school budgets and infrastructure work. If Mt. Laurel is the law, the state should provide relief for compliance. I think this is more effective at keeping taxes level while everything else gets more expensive.

What do you think NJ should do? Revitalize NJ Transit? Lower income taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 08:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Property tax relief, NJ Transit, paying into the pension fund would me my big three.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
The Governor has already signaled that some type of relief regarding gas prices (most likely, a rebate for car owners) is on his agenda, so I think that this idea will come to pass. Additionally, I foresee additional funding for municipalities in order to cut property taxes. And, if continued full funding of the state's pension programs is on the agenda, that will help to boost the state's debt rating again.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-17-2022 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
I dont understand why we keep funneling money into affordable housing. The people who need assistance the most are people average working New Jerseyians who actually work for a living, pay their taxes and have near to nothing after a paycheck. When I say average working I mean single and making less than $200k a year.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:41 AM

962 posts, read 541,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I dont understand why we keep funneling money into affordable housing. The people who need assistance the most are people average working New Jerseyians who actually work for a living, pay their taxes and have near to nothing after a paycheck. When I say average working I mean single and making less than $200k a year.
Practically speaking, very little is funneled into affordable housing. Affordable housing gets done by setting aside a few units in market rate developments. That means, practically speaking, that Mt. Laurel means lots of new development, well beyond the amount to satisfy solely affordable housing requirements (because it doesn't make sense economically just to build a 100% affordable housing development).

So Mt. Laurel doesn't mean towns grow modestly to accommodate a small number of affordable units; towns instead grow rapidly to accommodate some affordable housing, but mostly market rate units. State funding should go towards towns suffering these growing pains, to keep the cost of school and infrastructure growth in control, rather than increasing property taxes.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:23 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
…and it’s gone…

Gone?!?

POOF!

Old 05-17-2022, 01:14 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That’s pretty much everyone. What are you even saying?

Old 05-17-2022, 01:18 PM

445 posts, read 321,095 times
I'd like to know what's going on where you can theoretically make $180k as a single person and have near to nothing after a paycheck???

Old 05-17-2022, 01:20 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
I'd like to know what's going on where you can theoretically make $180k as a single person and have near to nothing after a paycheck???
Blow and hookers are expensive due to inflation and supply chain issues

Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM

445 posts, read 321,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Blow and hookers are expensive due to inflation and supply chain issues

Another L for that Brandon guy I guess....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey