U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

37 posts, read 215,386 times

Advertisements

The appraisal for the house I want to buy turns out a couple of thousand lower than the purchase price. Is this normal?

It is worth negotiating with the seller to match the appraisal price? Is it too late since attorney review and inspection are already completed? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM

13,112 posts, read 25,308,576 times
Good question ..hope someone answers
My kids just asked me the same question..what if??

I don't know why you have to pay for a home inspection BEFORE it's appraised..is there some logic to that?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,181,293 times
well, it can be an issue with the mortgage company. if you're counting on say $100K from your lender based upon the purchase price, they may come back and only give you $95 and you'd have to come up with the rest. lower appraisals have killed deals in the past. if you can eat the additional amount or have a large downpayment, this may not be an issue.

i'll let someone else explain it better though.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM

1,538 posts, read 4,185,433 times
I wouldn't say it's "normal", but it happens. Especially in this market when lenders are very cautious about lending and want to make sure that the property is not overpriced.

Homeowners DEFINITELY will negotiate with you on this one, because they will realize that 99% of the potential buyers out there will need financing to purchase their house, and banks won't finance a house if the selling price is higher than its appraised value.

I have heard of sellers requesting a second opinion from a different appraiser (at their expense, I would insist) and depending how that turns out (i.e., depending on whether your lender will accept the second appraisal, or will do some sort of averaging, etc.) you can negotiate a lower price.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 AM

13,112 posts, read 25,308,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
I wouldn't say it's "normal", but it happens. Especially in this market when lenders are very cautious about lending and want to make sure that the property is not overpriced.

Homeowners DEFINITELY will negotiate with you on this one, because they will realize that 99% of the potential buyers out there will need financing to purchase their house, and banks won't finance a house if the selling price is higher than its appraised value.

I have heard of sellers requesting a second opinion from a different appraiser (at their expense, I would insist) and depending how that turns out (i.e., depending on whether your lender will accept the second appraisal, or will do some sort of averaging, etc.) you can negotiate a lower price.
So what's involved in the appraisal...how do they come up with the amount

Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
So what's involved in the appraisal...how do they come up with the amount
Depends on what the lender requires, I believe. In some cases they can do an appraisal simply based on the comps of other real estate values in the area. I think that's more common in a hot real estate market where values are rising and lenders are less concerned.

When the valuation appears to be a close case, or if the neighborhood is a difficult one to apply that method (e.g. many different lot/house sizes in the same immediate neighborhood instead of a track of nearly identical houses), or when lenders are more cautious (as in this market) they will actually visit the property and do a visual inspection. If an outside-only inspection can satisfy the lender that the house is worth the contract price, I think they stop there; otherwise they will actually do a more thorough inside/outside appraisal.

Just my understanding based on past real estate transactions.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:39 AM

1,972 posts, read 4,971,534 times
from my own personal experience: we made an offer on a home, the appraisal came back 25k less than what we offered, we (buyer & seller) split the difference 50/50.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
from my own personal experience: we made an offer on a home, the appraisal came back 25k less than what we offered, we (buyer & seller) split the difference 50/50.
Interesting - the lender had no problem with that? What type of financing were you doing, if you don't mind sharing? (e.g. traditional 20% downpayment or more/less?)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:50 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,129,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td2456 View Post
The appraisal for the house I want to buy turns out a couple of thousand lower than the purchase price. Is this normal?

It is worth negotiating with the seller to match the appraisal price? Is it too late since attorney review and inspection are already completed? Thanks a lot!
banks will sometimes not finance a home that doesn't appraise for the selling price, make sure your financing is in order before proceeding

Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 AM

1,972 posts, read 4,971,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Interesting - the lender had no problem with that? What type of financing were you doing, if you don't mind sharing? (e.g. traditional 20% downpayment or more/less?)
We were doing more than 20%, but the lender did not have to do anything, since the seller agreed to split the difference 50/50. So out of the 25k less appraisal, the seller ended up lowering his price by $12.5k and I had to add another $12.5k out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey