Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 05:35 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Keep a few in car, others by front door so remember to take when going shopping.

Thing is when we do go shopping other than for major hauls it's for things like stopping on way home for milk or something, and thus don't always have a reusable bag. So pony up five bits and add another to collection.

Eventually like everyone else lots of those bags are just thrown away. It's amazing how quickly Target bags have become the "purse of choice" for homeless. Trash cans are full of them....

Now that summer is here find other uses for them such as holding wet or damp beach gear. Carrying snacks, beverages, food, etc.. to beach, park or something. In short just like plastic bags of old, and they end up binned after use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 06:25 AM

48 posts, read 28,593 times
Anyone else here just not use bags altogether, and put things into a container in their cars instead? That's actually what I used to do with the bags, and nowadays it's honestly pretty much the same, sans bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now that summer is here find other uses for them such as holding wet or damp beach gear. Carrying snacks, beverages, food, etc.. to beach, park or something. In short just like plastic bags of old, and they end up binned after use.
Can relate.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:34 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrassGuy View Post
Anyone else here just not use bags altogether, and put things into a container in their cars instead? That's actually what I used to do with the bags, and nowadays it's honestly pretty much the same, sans bags.

Can relate.
Bags keep said container and trunk/vehicle cleaner.

We use them a lot also for taking a tray or plate of food or something to and from events like family gatherings etc... If something leaks don't care because just throw bag away.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:45 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bags keep said container and trunk/vehicle cleaner.

We use them a lot also for taking a tray or plate of food or something to and from events like family gatherings etc... If something leaks don't care because just throw bag away.
I’ve used boxes instead of bags at Aldi before, I never had a problem with them getting the car messy.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Some states that ban plastic bags still allow paper bags. Lucky.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:14 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ve used boxes instead of bags at Aldi before, I never had a problem with them getting the car messy.
Those of us who shop at Costco are used to not getting bags. I don't want the left-over boxes from Costco because they tend to be very large and I wind-up having to cut them up for recycling. For decades I've transporting my Costco stuff to my car via the shopping cart and then transferring my purchases to a cooler bag and/or reusable bags.

Old 06-11-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Those of us who shop at Costco are used to not getting bags. I don't want the left-over boxes from Costco because they tend to be very large and I wind-up having to cut them up for recycling. For decades I've transporting my Costco stuff to my car via the shopping cart and then transferring my purchases to a cooler bag and/or reusable bags.

At Aldi you bring your own boxes or bags. I bring leftover Amazon boxes, especially if I'm stocking up on cans or jars of food. There's a bottled flavored water that they have in their store brand that's 48 cents a bottle. The store brand version of that drink is $1.00 at Walmart and other stores, and the name brand $1.50. So when I go to Aldi to restock, I pretty much drain the stock, buying 30 or 40 bottles of the flavor we like. They all come loose, so it's much easier to put them vertically into a box.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:43 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
At Aldi you bring your own boxes or bags.
Yes, I'm aware of that fact, as well as the fact that you "rent" your shopping cart at ALDI When a LIDL store opened near me, I dropped ALDI like a bad habit, due to the fact that LIDL has similar prices--coupled with higher-quality goods--and that their customers don't have to "rent" a shopping cart.

LIDL also has a broader selection of products, and--so far--I haven't found any Made in China food products at LIDL. ALDI's Deutsche Kuche products--some of which come from China are--IMHO--a case of misrepresentation. Putting a German name on a food product that was actually made in China seems like the height of misrepresentation to me. The difference between those two stores is similar to going from a going-out-of-business sale to a real supermarket.

Just like at Costco, I simply bring my LIDL purchases to the car in the shopping cart, and then transfer my stuff to a cooler bag or a few reusable bags.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that fact, as well as the fact that you "rent" your shopping cart at ALDI When a LIDL store opened near me, I dropped ALDI like a bad habit, due to the fact that LIDL has similar prices--coupled with higher-quality goods--and that their customers don't have to "rent" a shopping cart.

LIDL also has a broader selection of products, and--so far--I haven't found any Made in China food products at LIDL. ALDI's Deutsche Kuche products--some of which come from China are--IMHO--a case of misrepresentation. Putting a German name on a food product that was actually made in China seems like the height of misrepresentation to me. The difference between those two stores is similar to going from a going-out-of-business sale to a real supermarket.

Just like at Costco, I simply bring my LIDL purchases to the car in the shopping cart, and then transfer my stuff to a cooler bag or a few reusable bags.
We don’t have Lidl yet. I personally like the rent a shopping cart thing lol. You don’t have to worry about carts flying around the parking lot or moving carts to get into a parking spot.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:33 AM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Costco doesnt have bags because nothing you buy there would even fit into a bag.

Just had my first non-bag accident. Bought some birthday candles, that when I unpacked, I didnt see and they slipped into a crevice in the trunk and melted all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey