Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:28 AM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times

Advertisements

Although I don't live there i'm usually down in Monmouth/Ocean every weekend during the summer.

Monmouth has a very different vibe than the rest of the state. Redbank area is more in line with Sandy Hook / shore scene, however a little west is Colts Neck (assuming good schools because its a nice area) is a really beautiful area and would fulfill that 20-30 minute short drive down the shore. You would really have to visit and drive Monmouth because it changes pretty quickly from nice areas to bad and gritty quickly.

In Ocean County - the only areas that have populations year round, are Toms River, Manahawkin, and maybe Point Pleasant/Manasquan area (but a few miles from the beach). Toms River is a very big town, but it is a working class area, Manahawkin is full of old people and probably a bit boring to be down there year round.

In my opinion, the summer is the worst time to buy down the shore. You're going to pay a premium to be down there, also its worth visiting for the 8 months of the year when its dead, businesses close down and people pack-up and go home to see what its like.

As for hurricanes, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Sandy was a 100 year storm, there's a hurricane usually that goes up the Atlantic every week from June - November that we don't even hear about. Sandy just happened to turn and out of the thousands of miles of coastline was a direct hit into the Jersey Shore. The worst hurricane to hit the east coast of modern times was the Great New England Hurricane of 1938, and people still live in New England :P

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 06-08-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 10:25 AM

88,542 posts, read 84,719,546 times
^Just wanted to add to the above that one difference between Monmouth and more southern parts of the shore is that Monmouth County, the eastern side of it anyway, is still very much part of the NYC commuting area. When I moved down there from Bergen County and was commuting to Jersey City and then back to the city, I was surprised at how full the commuter trains were and that in fact there were as many or more trains on the NJCL than there were on on the Bergen County line and that they started earlier and ran later.

And then I started seeing so many people on the trains who worked where I did.

Once you get down into Ocean County, there might be some commuters, but they are far fewer. The point is that the NYC commuting range affects housing, prices, traffic, etc.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:03 AM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
As I was saying in my post, to me, that’s the most noticeable difference. Monmouth is still mostly a NYC suburb. Ocean is not. That fact leads to profound differences in many aspects between the two.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-08-2022, 11:05 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Although I don't live there i'm usually down in Monmouth/Ocean every weekend during the summer.

Monmouth has a very different vibe than the rest of the state. Redbank area is more in line with Sandy Hook / shore scene, however a little west is Colts Neck (assuming good schools because its a nice area) is a really beautiful area and would fulfill that 20-30 minute short drive down the shore. You would really have to visit and drive Monmouth because it changes pretty quickly from nice areas to bad and gritty quickly.

In Ocean County - the only areas that have populations year round, are Toms River, Manahawkin, and maybe Point Pleasant/Manasquan area (but a few miles from the beach). Toms River is a very big town, but it is a working class area, Manahawkin is full of old people and probably a bit boring to be down there year round.

In my opinion, the summer is the worst time to buy down the shore. You're going to pay a premium to be down there, also its worth visiting for the 8 months of the year when its dead, businesses close down and people pack-up and go home to see what its like.

As for hurricanes, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Sandy was a 100 year storm, there's a hurricane usually that goes up the Atlantic every week from June - November that we don't even hear about. Sandy just happened to turn and out of the thousands of miles of coastline was a direct hit into the Jersey Shore. The worst hurricane to hit the east coast of modern times was the Great New England Hurricane of 1938, and people still live in New England :P
Just for a point of info Manasquan is in Monmouth County.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:

Tons of people live in Lakewood, Jackson, and Brick year round. Brick is considered a pretty decent area and very close to the shore at Point Pleasant but is not considered to be a seasonal town. Although it has been hit quite hard with the opioid epidemic.

Agreed about it being useful to see what the shore is like in the off season. But inland Monmouth County is not seasonal either and is overall a more desirable area than Ocean County, so I would really recommend to focus your search there. Many of the major towns there - Freehold Township, Manalapan, Wall, Tinton Falls, and Middletown (barely “inland”) are all fine. Holmdel, Marlboro, and Colts Neck are at a higher tier of wealth. If you can afford them, go for it.

Last edited by Leps12; 06-08-2022 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-08-2022, 12:49 PM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Tons of people live in Lakewood, Jackson, and Brick year round. Brick is considered a pretty decent area and very close to the shore at Point Pleasant but is not considered to be a seasonal town. Although it has been hit quite hard with the opioid epidemic.

Agreed about it being useful to see what the shore is like in the off season. But inland Monmouth County is not seasonal either and is overall a more desirable area than Ocean County, so I would really recommend to focus your search there. Many of the major towns there - Freehold Township, Manalapan, Wall, Tinton Falls, and Middletown (barely “inland”) are all fine. Holmdel, Marlboro, and Colts Neck are at a higher tier of wealth. If you can afford them, go for it.
Thanks, Brick is the area I was describing a little bit more inland to Pt. Pleasant (although Brick is west and adjacent south to Pt. Pleasant). I've never really been through Lakewood, but from what I know its pretty closed off community that live there. Jackson is very rural (100sq miles and 50k population), might be good to invest for development 20-50 years from now.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
Quote:
Thanks, Brick is the area I was describing a little bit more inland to Pt. Pleasant (although Brick is west and adjacent south to Pt. Pleasant). I've never really been through Lakewood, but from what I know its pretty closed off community that live there. Jackson is very rural (100sq miles and 50k population), might be good to invest for development 20-50 years from now.
Well, you weren’t wrong in saying Point Pleasant has a large year-round population either. Point Pleasant Beach however is a separate municipality, and that is the one that is seasonal.

Again, I wouldn’t recommend Ocean County at all vs. Monmouth County unless one is very price sensitive, but if I had to choose…I would go with Point Pleasant or Brick.

Based on OP’s desire to be close to the beach and a thriving downtown area but not necessarily living on the beach (I would not want to buy beach town property either due to hurricane and flooding risks), I think Middletown is the best option. Close to Red Bank, Sandy Hook, Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach, and Long Branch. Again, for flooding concerns, probably best to avoid properties close to the Navesink River. Stick to the center of town.

Our $50 Million governor lives there, so you know it has to be good. Sorry, had to throw that in there!

Old 06-08-2022, 06:40 PM

88,542 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Well, you weren’t wrong in saying Point Pleasant has a large year-round population either. Point Pleasant Beach however is a separate municipality, and that is the one that is seasonal.

Again, I wouldn’t recommend Ocean County at all vs. Monmouth County unless one is very price sensitive, but if I had to choose…I would go with Point Pleasant or Brick.

Based on OP’s desire to be close to the beach and a thriving downtown area but not necessarily living on the beach (I would not want to buy beach town property either due to hurricane and flooding risks), I think Middletown is the best option. Close to Red Bank, Sandy Hook, Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach, and Long Branch. Again, for flooding concerns, probably best to avoid properties close to the Navesink River. Stick to the center of town.

Our $50 Million governor lives there, so you know it has to be good. Sorry, had to throw that in there!
He lives in Middletown? Seriously? Huh.

Probably along Navesink River Road.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:48 AM

58 posts, read 63,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He lives in Middletown? Seriously? Huh.

Probably along Navesink River Road.

Correct

Old 06-14-2022, 11:00 AM

255 posts, read 455,526 times
Quote:

:P
Not true at all. Brick, Jackson, Manchester and Berkeley, to name just a few, are highly-populated towns with nearly all of their residents there year round. Outside of LBI and beach areas like Lavallette and Mantoloking, Ocean County is a year-round place.

If you say otherwise, you're not as familiar with the area as you claim to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey