Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 05:31 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,224 times

Advertisements

It seems that a short certificate is the most important document and makes things easier. I was worrying about Form B-62 (I think that's it) and it didn't make sense since it referred to a title in both spouses' names and had to be notarized. After correctly reading the DMV website I realized that it did not pertain to my situation and hence wasn't needed.
I now have everything I need (I hope) and am making an appointment for next week.

I know it sounds strange but I only realized my husband's name was on the title when I came across yet another pile of paperwork. He had been taking care of registration renewals. The insurance, however, is in my name.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. So many things to do and basically on my own. His death was not expected and sort of left me adrift. My mother did have a will naming my brother to handle things. As far as I know the one insurance company was slow as molasses and took several weeks to the point where he had to tell them he was going to get a lawyer if need be.
With much appreciation,
Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 06:37 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
It seems that a short certificate is the most important document and makes things easier. I was worrying about Form B-62 (I think that's it) and it didn't make sense since it referred to a title in both spouses' names and had to be notarized. After correctly reading the DMV website I realized that it did not pertain to my situation and hence wasn't needed.
I now have everything I need (I hope) and am making an appointment for next week.

I know it sounds strange but I only realized my husband's name was on the title when I came across yet another pile of paperwork. He had been taking care of registration renewals. The insurance, however, is in my name.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. So many things to do and basically on my own. His death was not expected and sort of left me adrift. My mother did have a will naming my brother to handle things. As far as I know the one insurance company was slow as molasses and took several weeks to the point where he had to tell them he was going to get a lawyer if need be.
With much appreciation,
Sharon
Best of luck with everything! If you need an estate attorney I had a pretty reasonably priced one. Just take it one step at a time.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 AM

What would constitute an estate in this case is pitifully small. Plus no children which might complicate things. Since everything else was in both our names the car is the only thing that's different. I appreciate your encouragement.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:

With much appreciation,
Sharon
Glad you figured it out, and so sorry for your loss. I hope you have a good experience at the DMV and this gets handled quickly.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
It doesn't sound strange to me at all. I didn't realize that only my husband's name was on the car title until someone in my widow's support group mentioned getting the title name changed. When I went home I pulled out the file where he kept papers relating to the car and realized that my name was not on the title.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:59 AM

We don't often think about matters like that and if I hadn't gone through that pile of papers I probably still wouldn't know. I've had very little help and basically still on my own. A car in this situation was not supposed to be driven by any one else but the person's name that is on the title. Yeah, right. It would be mine anyway and the insurance is in my name.
Never realized how much Jim had done. He was a real helpmate. This wasn't supposed to happen. That morning I was calling his VA doctor and insist that they put him in Deborah, which is what was needed instead of sending him home taking even more time. He never made it through that night.
Much appreciation to you. Life truly does have a way to surprise us, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey