Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 09:30 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Median income in my county in 2020 was 27,164 USD.

Minimum Wage is $12.75 USD, Fulltime jobs start at $25,500.
Median income is such a misrepresented number to benchmark yourself against. Do we really think people earn that little? Median income includes everyone over the age of 15. It includes highschool kids working 10 hours a week, elderly people, the housewife selling Tupper-ware on Friday nights, salaries of waiters (which is a couple bucks) but not their tips. The number is misconstrued it doesn't have relevant value in real world application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 09:47 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Median income is such a misrepresented number to benchmark yourself against. Do we really think people earn that little?
Hmm, I was impressed that the median of people earn so much.

It is certainly more than what I make on my pension.

I make around $19k a year, and our cost-of-living runs about half of that amount. Which is why we have been able to continue saving and investing.

Quote:
... The number is misconstrued it doesn't have relevant value in real world application.
You are mistaken. That number is foundational to calculating the Federal poverty level.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:18 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
you need 2 full time jobs.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:59 PM

78 posts, read 61,685 times
Sorry for not replying earlier. I actually just applied for two higher paying positions at work, so I'm kind of one pause to see if I get either. To answer some questions-

Why don't I just get a roommate? If the only possible way to have an apartment is to get a roommate, I might as well just stay where I am. The whole point of getting an apartment would be to have complete control over my own living space and to not have to engage socially. I'm introverted and I completely burnt out and there is no guarantee that a roommate wouldn't also be loud, create clutter, etc. I'm very, very tired of just having to *talk* to another person.

I have no debt, and my car is paid off. I have over 10,000 in savings.

Moving is a possibility.

Section 8 seems to be closed in my area...you can't even get on the list from my understanding. That's part of why I'm so confused. Is there someone you can just pay to help you navigate this?

Oh, also someone said I'm a cautionary tale...yeah, I agree. I was so busy being responsible for someone else that I neglected myself. If I had to do it over again, I would have taken a different path. Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:03 PM

To those suggesting another job...I'm narcoleptic and while I'm able to hold down a full time job, it requires all of my energy and I simply can't imagine getting another on top of it. It takes all of my days off to recover.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
Sorry for not replying earlier. I actually just applied for two higher paying positions at work, so I'm kind of one pause to see if I get either. To answer some questions-

Why don't I just get a roommate? If the only possible way to have an apartment is to get a roommate, I might as well just stay where I am. The whole point of getting an apartment would be to have complete control over my own living space and to not have to engage socially. I'm introverted and I completely burnt out and there is no guarantee that a roommate wouldn't also be loud, create clutter, etc. I'm very, very tired of just having to *talk* to another person.

I have no debt, and my car is paid off. I have over 10,000 in savings.

Moving is a possibility.

Section 8 seems to be closed in my area...you can't even get on the list from my understanding. That's part of why I'm so confused. Is there someone you can just pay to help you navigate this?

Oh, also someone said I'm a cautionary tale...yeah, I agree. I was so busy being responsible for someone else that I neglected myself. If I had to do it over again, I would have taken a different path. Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.
To many people, you are seen as wealthy. Look at how much you say is in your bank.

Programs you apply for, check your bank accounts, if you have over $1k in a bank the system immediately bounces you because you are too wealthy.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:04 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
To those suggesting another job...I'm narcoleptic and while I'm able to hold down a full time job, it requires all of my energy and I simply can't imagine getting another on top of it. It takes all of my days off to recover.
See a doctor. You may get a prescription for the narcolepsy.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:31 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
To many people, you are seen as wealthy. Look at how much you say is in your bank.

Programs you apply for, check your bank accounts, if you have over $1k in a bank the system immediately bounces you because you are too wealthy.
That isn’t true. Most consider income only not assets. Long-term care Medicaid, for elderly people in assisted-living or nursing homes, allows you to have up to $2000 in assets. But for low income housing, it’s based on income.

OP, did you call 211 yet? They will help you navigate the available options in NJ.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
See a doctor. You may get a prescription for the narcolepsy.
I do have a prescription, which is what allows me to hold a job and be functional. But I'm not cured... it doesn't work that way, unfortunately. I'll always have less energy than someone who isn't narcoleptic. But I'm 80 percent better then when I was untreated. The real mystery is how I managed to be a full time caregiver before I was diagnosed.

(I don't have cataplexy, so I don't fall asleep unexpectedly like most people imagine narcolepsy. But untreated I could easily sleep 18 hours a day and be exhausted. Or sleep two hours a day for months at a stretch.)

Old 06-29-2022, 07:42 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Hmm, I was impressed that the median of people earn so much.

It is certainly more than what I make on my pension.

I make around $19k a year, and our cost-of-living runs about half of that amount. Which is why we have been able to continue saving and investing.

You are mistaken. That number is foundational to calculating the Federal poverty level.

You are mistaken.
In nj, for low income housing eligibility, it is based on the average income of each county. Not the federal poverty numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey