Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 10,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking to move to NJ and could use some advice on picking an area to move to. Here's some basics...

Where are you coming from? Staten Island, NY
Why are you moving? My wife and I are looking to settle into NJ and start a family
Where will you be working? Mostly remote, but sometimes I need to go to the office. Office is in midtown right off of Penn Station

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $500-$700K (maaaybe a little more if needed +20k?)
What kind of place are you looking for? Newer construction, hardwood floors, not too large of a backyard

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? Not at the moment, but would need in the longer term

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - Safe, a bit of space between houses, close distance to some sort of town center, near a mosque/ muslim community if possible

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 07:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
West Windsor would be perfect but not sure how far your budget will go for the house.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:29 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
There’s a mosque in Paramus. I’d look in oradell because it has a Main Street of stores and a train station. Houses in your price range. Good schools.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:05 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Hold a Uzi vertical, let the thing smoke
Y'all flirtin' with death, I be winkin' through the scope

Old 07-15-2022, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 10,826 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
West Windsor would be perfect but not sure how far your budget will go for the house.
Just curious- why would you recommend West Windsor over New Brunswick? Both areas have come up a lot on my research.

Old 07-15-2022, 06:21 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UziVertical View Post
why would you recommend West Windsor over New Brunswick?
While New Brunswick has a major advantage in terms of easy access to NJ Transit, its disadvantages (high crime rate, schools that are... not good, and almost no new construction homes) far outweigh that one advantage.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:00 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Just curious- why would you recommend West Windsor over New Brunswick? Both areas have come up a lot on my research.
I’ve lived in West Windsor a long time. If you don’t currently have kids and you anticipate that your income will increase enough over the next 2-3 years to continue to afford West Windsor, my recommendation would be to wait until you have kids a couple years old before coming to West Windsor. Otherwise you’re just throwing money away on taxes for little benefit. It’s a nice town but really no reason to live here if you don’t have kids. Just my two cents. Also in case you didn’t know, Plainsboro shares a school district with West Windsor and there are some lower taxes there. Granted, it’s not as close to the train station. But if your wife can drop you at the station each morning and pick you up, it’s really not a big deal.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I’ve lived in West Windsor a long time. If you don’t currently have kids and you anticipate that your income will increase enough over the next 2-3 years to continue to afford West Windsor, my recommendation would be to wait until you have kids a couple years old before coming to West Windsor. Otherwise you’re just throwing money away on taxes for little benefit. It’s a nice town but really no reason to live here if you don’t have kids. Just my two cents. Also in case you didn’t know, Plainsboro shares a school district with West Windsor and there are some lower taxes there. Granted, it’s not as close to the train station. But if your wife can drop you at the station each morning and pick you up, it’s really not a big deal.
Well, they said they were going to have kids in the future, which is why I picked it over New Brunswick, plus what Retriever pointed out, especially with the schools.

Also the mosque is beautiful.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:27 AM

860 posts, read 1,337,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Well, they said they were going to have kids in the future, which is why I picked it over New Brunswick, plus what Retriever pointed out, especially with the schools.

Also the mosque is beautiful.
True, but my experiences in my group are that many many people these days have fertility issues, so I’m coming from the don’t count your chickens angle. Hate to buy somewhere expensive and it not work out. Could have spent that time saving or doing IVF, etc. Obviously I hope they have no issues at all and have a wonderful family. And even with no issues, West Windsor is really only good for the schools (and even that is debatable when factoring in student mental health) so living there without kids, especially with the town developing every square inch isn’t that pleasant.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Have you been to New Brunswick? There are a lot better options available. I don't know anything about northern NJ but many do, so they will weigh in. I would never consider New Brunswick, with or without children.

Mercer county where I live is expensive, whether you rent or buy, there are properties available in your price range and the train ride to NYC averages around 1 hr and 10 minutes unless you get the milk train.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey