Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 07:04 PM

31,895 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

More woke democrat nonsense, but hey it makes certain people happy.

https://gothamist.com/news/itll-be-a...r-job#comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
More woke democrat nonsense, but hey it makes certain people happy.

https://gothamist.com/news/itll-be-a...r-job#comments

This is great news.

Woke democrat nonsense ?

How about "what's good for the goose, is good for the gander" ?

I'd go further to say: Require every law enforcement officer, at every level, to carry liability insurance.

All settlements for malfeasance and brutality will be paid by the insurance companies, NOT by the taxpayers.

Which would put an end to police departments "investigating" themselves with absolutely no oversight, or accountability.

Once a law enforcement officer becomes uninsurable, their career is over.

This assumes nothing about police officers, except that they are subject to human failings, just like the rest of us.

And that just like anyone in the private sector, they should be held personally responsible for their actions.

If they're not doing anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:23 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
From what I was able to understand from this short article, is quite scary. Covered in the typical gravy of how its good for the community and everyone else is doing it (that is a half truth) but it gives politicians the rights to disbar police, if they comment, retweet or say anything in their personal lives in social media that the politicians don't agree with.

Hope this is challenged in court, which it will be. We've seen this year in 2022, how dangerous and crooked politicians can be with covid all in the name of safety.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:51 AM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Thankfully young people are waking up to the reality of policing nowadays. Recruitment is tanking nationwide. Good.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-22-2022, 10:41 AM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
From what I was able to understand from this short article, is quite scary. Covered in the typical gravy of how its good for the community and everyone else is doing it (that is a half truth) but it gives politicians the rights to disbar police, if they comment, retweet or say anything in their personal lives in social media that the politicians don't agree with.

Hope this is challenged in court, which it will be. We've seen this year in 2022, how dangerous and crooked politicians can be with covid all in the name of safety.
Exactly, that’s my only concern with this. With all of this cancel culture there is still no written standard on what is hate speech, what is this or that. Usually it just comes down to how those in power feel about it, unless it’s egregious. Plenty of examples of all sides being hypocrites in this area. Otherwise this will just be another money grab by the state - licensing fees, license renewal fees, seating and paying licensing board members to adjudicate issues, etc. And if the continuing education that police already receive in NJ will be now insufficient per this law, there will be an education sector popping up to do this training. Payment for all these items will be negotiated into the next set of contracts and now towns/counties/state will be paying out to cover these expenses. So the State makes money off the towns and counties but it’ll be a wash for State police.

And in the end, won’t do anything but disincentivize new recruits, which means they raise the pay to try to attract recruits and when they do that they have to increase everyone across the board. So more expensive policing with officers demoralized by the hatred the general population feels for them, often for no real reason. Of course there are bad cops out there and I wish we as humans had reached the point where we don’t need police, but unfortunately police are still very necessary. In the end, the ones who suffer from all this are the poor and vulnerable.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:32 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Thankfully young people are waking up to the reality of policing nowadays. Recruitment is tanking nationwide. Good.
That's not a good thing. We don't want more of the same, where the police are run by incompetent, corrupt individuals. I want the best of the best on my patrol. We need two things. 1) We need to treat police officers like other professions where mistakes could cost thousands (or millions). Doctors and lawyers are required to keep malpractice insurance. Why isn't there a similar requirement for police officers. If the police actually saw their annual premium go up after the insurance company had to make a payout due to their bad acts, of course violence perpetrated by the police would go down! Right now towns can't even fire bad cops without being required to hire a band of lawyers. There's no accountability, so there's no chance for improvement, which brings me to 2) we need to make it easier to fire bad cops. Unions are far too strong. They're not above lying, and the press is happy to carry their water.

But, to get those two items, I would happily trade 3) raise the pay for good cops. Like I said, I want the best of the best. I want licensed police (like 46 other states, according to OP's article) that get rewarded for good work, and punished for bad work. I want them to carry their own insurance so my taxes don't go up because Sgt. Anger Management had a bad day.

If the best and brightest are not interested in being cops, we aren't going to have good police forces. It's just gonna be bullies with bad grades going to police academy, per usual.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:34 AM

962 posts, read 540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Exactly, that’s my only concern with this. With all of this cancel culture there is still no written standard on what is hate speech, what is this or that. Usually it just comes down to how those in power feel about it, unless it’s egregious. Plenty of examples of all sides being hypocrites in this area. Otherwise this will just be another money grab by the state - licensing fees, license renewal fees, seating and paying licensing board members to adjudicate issues, etc. And if the continuing education that police already receive in NJ will be now insufficient per this law, there will be an education sector popping up to do this training. Payment for all these items will be negotiated into the next set of contracts and now towns/counties/state will be paying out to cover these expenses. So the State makes money off the towns and counties but it’ll be a wash for State police.

And in the end, won’t do anything but disincentivize new recruits, which means they raise the pay to try to attract recruits and when they do that they have to increase everyone across the board. So more expensive policing with officers demoralized by the hatred the general population feels for them, often for no real reason. Of course there are bad cops out there and I wish we as humans had reached the point where we don’t need police, but unfortunately police are still very necessary. In the end, the ones who suffer from all this are the poor and vulnerable.
There is a lot of law concerning hate speech. This isn't cancel culture, this isn't woke, this isn't political correctness. Hate speech law is decades old at this point.

Old 07-22-2022, 12:09 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
More woke democrat nonsense
Now that NJ has enacted a requirement for LEOs to be licensed, that leaves only California, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island as the states lacking that type of requirement. If you give this about 2 seconds of contemplation, you will realize that ALL of the "red" states have already enacted this type of statute.

So... with the realization that this type of regulation gained traction in "red" states earlier than it did in NJ...
How does this type of legislation amount to "woke democrat nonsense"?

https://whyy.org/articles/new-jersey...btain-license/

Old 07-22-2022, 12:13 PM

860 posts, read 1,336,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
There is a lot of law concerning hate speech. This isn't cancel culture, this isn't woke, this isn't political correctness. Hate speech law is decades old at this point.
Yeah, but people lose their jobs for expressing an opinion someone else doesn’t like. That is not hate speech and yet they lose everything. That is the danger. They are not restricting what is inappropriate to hate speech. If they were, then the law might not be as concerning. But they are purposely not tying this to a defined term because they want to interpret it however they want to on a case by case basis. Looking at the latest version of the bill that I could find, it reads “ d. The commission shall establish parameters for revoking the license of an officer for criminal convictions, official misconduct, excessive use of force, civil rights violations, acts of dishonesty, and any other conduct deemed unbecoming of an officer as determined by the commission.” If that language remains in the final bill then an officer could be stripped of their license if there is a complaint that the commission agrees is conduct unbecoming. So then the question is who is on the committee and what metrics do they use to determine what conduct is unbecoming? What kind of speech is allowable? That is where either side could use this approach to either keep bad cops or remove good ones who just happen to have an opinion the committee doesn’t agree with. Just a lot of uncertainty in my opinion.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:39 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Is everything the OP doesn't like thrown the proverbial "woke democrat" trash bin..??? That's way too convenient.

I work for a large well known computing company. I can certainly be terminated for posting what could be considered hate speech or other actions on my own time while not on the clock. In the private sector, there are little protections; at will employment. Most of us have to work under these provisions. Not sure why police officers are privy to protections from behavior/actions that can reflect badly for the uniform; like my actions can reflect badly for my employer.

There are plenty of other professions that must maintain a certain code of conduct and meet requirements to maintain employment that are much higher than police officers. Lawyers, Doctors, etc... Truck drivers can loose their CDL for a motor vehicle offense while off the clock driving their personal vehicles. These actions can result in becoming unhire-able across their industry.

I don't see why Police officers should be held to a lower standard. They have a huge PR problem from the actions of a few officers because they are representing the uniform and not being accountable for higher standards. Their profession is VERY important and can include life/death situations just like other professions. In my area they are certainly better paid and will have a better retirement than some professions that are held to higher standards.

Back in my home state/town, there is a common notion that police officers are former bullies from high school with a badge and gun. That's an awful reputation..... and honestly, some of it is earned. Fortunately, I live in a town now that the police officers are well respected and have given the community no reason not to trust them.

The whole blue wall of silence thing (existing or not... people believe it) did nothing but pitch the police against the very communities that they are suppose to serve... it hurts the uniform.

Last edited by usayit; 07-22-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey